2016 UCI MTB World Cup Downhill

jarrod839

Banned
Just finished watching some of the streams from yesterday and such epic riding and just as much carnage.
Track changes had to be made to slow riders entering the whoops and all best to baxter maiwald on a speedy recovery.

There's a pinkbike vid of carnage in the rock garden with even one guy snapping his frame.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Troy is fast, if he manages to keep it rubber down on race day, he'll be killing it. Thought 15 minutes ago, he had the pole position wrapped up, Shirley no one left to get within a mile of him.....bang, out of nowhere, sick mick has a flyer.

Looking to be a very good weekend for the Aussies. Be fucked if Garth didn't pick it.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Just finished watching some of the streams from yesterday and such epic riding and just as much carnage.
Track changes had to be made to slow riders entering the whoops and all best to baxter maiwald on a speedy recovery.

There's a pinkbike vid of carnage in the rock garden with even one guy snapping his frame.
Any chance of a link?

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Its going to take Sam a bit to come back to pace by the looks . Maybe as long as Steve Smith who is looking on song again this year . I still think it will be a Gwin / Bruni showdown if it stays dry , although I`m hanging for sik Mik to win .

4dabush

Likes Dirt
I KNOW I am biased, but it so good looking at the international keyboard warriors bagging our track, comments like "you could ride a hardtail down that track", and then seeing all the carnage videos and riders comments...I don't know where the speed trap is this year but in the dry practice last time, the fastest guys were over 80kms hr after the double triple double, that's one of the sections they changed, it's where Adam Brayton came off last time and split his shin from ankle to knee.

Sure there is some pedals but there is big sections of insanely fast, tight and techy, roots and rocks, and I can tell you first hand that the sprint out of the rainforest sucks big time, but it's a frigging bike race....no way a chainless run will win here. Need balls, skills, big set of lungs and a bit of luck...

Marshalling from tomorrow as work was in the way...can't wait. Oh, and go look at some of the XC practice videos and decide if crocs teeth, croc slide, Jacobs Ladder and caterpillars wouldn't actually better on an enduro bike rather than a 9kg hardtail with seat up your clacker!!!! (We actually use those sections of the track for our local enduro races and the National Enduro did too, and it claimed its share of victims then too!) It's no ordinary XC track!

Last edited:

MarioM

Likes Dirt
I KNOW I am biased, but it so good looking at the international keyboard warriors bagging our track, comments like "you could ride a hardtail down that track", and then seeing all the carnage videos and riders comments...I don't know where the speed trap is this year but in the dry practice last time, the fastest guys were over 80kms hr after the double triple double, that's one of the sections they changed, it's where Adam Brayton came off last time and split his shin from ankle to knee.

Sure there is some pedals but there is big sections of insanely fast, tight and techy, roots and rocks, and I can tell you first hand that the sprint out of the rainforest sucks big time, but it's a frigging bike race....no way a chainless run will win here. Need balls, skills, big set of lungs and a bit of luck...

Marshalling from tomorrow as work was in the way...can't wait. Oh, and go look at some of the XC practice videos and decide if crocs teeth, croc slide, Jacobs Ladder and caterpillars wouldn't actually better on an enduro bike rather than a 9kg hardtail with seat up your clacker!!!! (We actually use those sections of the track for our local enduro races and the National Enduro did too, and it claimed its share of victims then too!) It's no ordinary XC track!
They obviously ride a lot .
Looking at the comments on Pinkbike its not right to aim the remoteness at one track . The lack of Doctors / access etc is at every stop . Some are more remote than others , but it is surprising on the UCI part to not have concussion rules . Its the pinnacle of the sport these guys participate in and they want to ride the gnarlier tracks , they know the stakes . Cairns will kick harder than Lourdes I would think .

Last edited:

jarrod839

Banned
I kinda compare the cairns track to kinglake down here in Victoria even though cairns is clearly a bit more gnarly in scale. Alot of people bag kinglake and say its easy and you could take a bmx down quite easily. But its like cairns as soon as speed is involved its suddenly alot harder than you expected.
Usually the ones making these comments are just scared of the track and won't admit it.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Yep , I had one of those recently that I took on a ride . He`d just bought a new bike talked himself up with what he had been doing etc . I asked him repeatedly if he could ride and his answer was " I can ride pretty much everything " . Well he failed ( very tech trail riding ) and has not been with us since . For me the videos often don`t show the true nature so I guess its easy to say that looks tame . I`ve done it before and learnt the hard way , but learned from it .
In the vids the whoops look like they are only small when they go through but the track walk shows just how deep they are . 80k`s through the speed trap should tell even the dimmest person that this is a crazy track .

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Yep , I had one of those recently that I took on a ride . He`d just bought a new bike talked himself up with what he had been doing etc . I asked him repeatedly if he could ride and his answer was " I can ride pretty much everything " . Well he failed ( very tech trail riding ) and has not been with us since . For me the videos often don`t show the true nature so I guess its easy to say that looks tame . I`ve done it before and learnt the hard way , but learned from it .
In the vids the whoops look like they are only small when they go through but the track walk shows just how deep they are . 80k`s through the speed trap should tell even the dimmest person that this is a crazy track .
You just need to look at the casualties the whoops have claimed, both fuckwit punters and full time riders. Hope the young bloke makes a full recovery.

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Tasty dirt might have a bit more info as he was there yesterday, but as I understand it wasn't the whoops that was the problem this time!!!
They blamed the remoteness and not being able to extract the injured quickly, the 4wd ambulances can drive to within about 100m of the whoops now after recent access work, same for the rock garden/Alien tree.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Anyone know of somewhere close to Stromlo that might be showing it? We are there for practice prior to the race on Sunday.

WiFi in the carpark is gonna hammered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you see a 6 foot a lot bloke riding a carbon norco range, black and baby blue colour, tell him Gerry says to get cooked ya frothwit.

Please and thank you.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tasty dirt might have a bit more info as he was there yesterday, but as I understand it wasn't the whoops that was the problem this time!!!
They blamed the remoteness and not being able to extract the injured quickly, the 4wd ambulances can drive to within about 100m of the whoops now after recent access work, same for the rock garden/Alien tree.
It was a nightmare to get vehicles to the evac point. Simple. Very slow driving in and out.

To give you an idea of the steepness of the access road, the road in point has to be concreted for traction! There are quite a few extremely steep pinches leading up to the evac point. There are 4 evac points in total for a very inaccessible track.

Unfortunately, helicopter evac is nigh on impossible due to overhead canopy coverage of the rainforest.

There were no major injuries for riders today, and most commented as to how well the track had dried out in the afternoon. There will be no mud tyres on bikes come race day!

Last edited: