2016 UCI MTB World Cup Downhill

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here's a question, why would Sam Hill choose to do the EWS when there is a BDS at the tack he'll be racing the World Cup on in a few weeks time. Surely it's too good an opportunity to pass up in regards to bike setup time etc. he'll get there and the majority of the field will already have the bikes dailed in and be concentrating on line choice etc whilst he's setting up the rebound.

Seems weird.

scblack

Leucocholic
Here's a question, why would Sam Hill choose to do the EWS when there is a BDS at the tack he'll be racing the World Cup on in a few weeks time. Surely it's too good an opportunity to pass up in regards to bike setup time etc. he'll get there and the majority of the field will already have the bikes dailed in and be concentrating on line choice etc whilst he's setting up the rebound.

Seems weird.
The track has been used in the World Cup for over a decade. They all know it very well and have bikes set up well in advance. A few runs in practice and he'll be fully up to speed.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
The track has been used in the World Cup for over a decade. They all know it very well and have bikes set up well in advance. A few runs in practice and he'll be fully up to speed.
I reckon he's also sparing himself for worlds.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Seems weird.
To add to everyone else's comments he could be trying to ensure a career after downhill as well. While it is definitely moving away from how it was in the first couple of years, the EWS still does have a range of retired ex-DHers. Sam can't keep racing at the pointy end of DH forever so getting a few good EWS results now might keep some doors open.

Or it could purely be to mix things up and keep it fun after all these years.

MARKL

Eats Squid
To add to everyone else's comments he could be trying to ensure a career after downhill as well. While it is definitely moving away from how it was in the first couple of years, the EWS still does have a range of retired ex-DHers. Sam can't keep racing at the pointy end of DH forever so getting a few good EWS results now might keep some doors open.

Or it could purely be to mix things up and keep it fun after all these years.
I think the risk/reward (accident/race fitness) for Sam is higher doing EWS than doing a downhill race. He simply needs time on the bike and to get back to full fitness and he will be the force that we know he is...it isn't like he has forgotten how to ride a bike like a freak.

ajay

I think the risk/reward (accident/race fitness) for Sam is higher doing EWS than doing a downhill race. He simply needs time on the bike and to get back to full fitness and he will be the force that we know he is...it isn't like he has forgotten how to ride a bike like a freak.
I don't think for a minute that anyone doubts his ability, but as it stands, the difference between 1st an 30th in a WC DH event is 2/5ths of fuck all.... but heres hoping he finds that last 1% !

ajay

So the UCI have decided tohave a memorial run for steve smith! See pinkbike for deets. Awesome news.

scblack

Leucocholic
So the UCI have decided tohave a memorial run for steve smith! See pinkbike for deets. Awesome news.
Great news - the only possible thing to change is it might have been better done at Mt.St Anne, being his home country.

Not criticism from me, it's still a great tribute.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great news - the only possible thing to change is it might have been better done at Mt.St Anne, being his home country.

Something will DEFINITELY be done at St Anne as well.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt

They might be happier to do it as he'll still be top 20 this round while he'd have dropped outside that by MSA. There's less bending of the rules so they can justify it to the by the book roadie department of the UCI.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The tribute that the UCI will do will be such an emotional experience. I really hope they do the "Ghost of Stevie" lap and send the onsite crowd crazy. For us watching at home, I doubt anyone will watch it without balling their eyes out. It's such a tragedy and so sad.
I feel for the riders and crew in the world cups that will be doing their part all week long at Fort William but being focused and not thinking about it will be so hard and not one of those guys and girls would not want to win for Stevie. :(

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
A big race this weekend at Fort William; whats your predictions? I can see a revival of sorts for Gee Atherton, Greg Minaar and maybe even Sam Hill. Aside from taht, I hope that Button guy had his worst result this season Cairns and comes out every other race and podiums the shit out of it.