24Hr racing advice

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Love it. I think I know why there's less interest in 24hr and marathon events. Kids.

I used to love the Corc and Mont, but there's no way to do the necessary prep or even get away with two little ones and full time work.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I agree. It's tricky to find time around my three boys just for a 3 hour. And add on the modern pressure of 'living' in a city. That's why we went country.

But my motivation is there to do a 24. I'll never 'race' one, but I've done a few as part of a school HPV team, the challenge and reward for just finishing is on another level.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I know knicks are nearly as personal as saddles, but who is using what for endurance races? I'm very very NOT keen on spending $300 on them

Last edited:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I know knicks are nearly as personal as saddles, but who is using what for endurance races? I'm very very NOT keen on spending $300 on them
everyone i know raves about rapha, wait for a sale & spend 120-150 for a pair, had dhb -didn’t like, morvelo are good but same price as ra-ha on sale, didn’t like castelli...found them uncomfortable -popular with roadies though..have some assos now, like them but expensive at full price..the most comfortable kit i have for long rides 6hr is a rapha skinsit, it just doesn’t move all day & therefore does not annoy in any way, you have to b prepared to take criticism wearing it though

creaky

XMAS Plumper
you have to b prepared to take criticism wearing it though
And even acknowledging it on a mtb forum

I’m addicted to Sportful. Bodyfit pro with total comfort pads. Love the chamois compared to Santini, PI (meh), castelli etc.

Ive got half a dozen sets, some a few years old. I generally buy one set a year and then retire the older ones to wear under baggies on the mtb.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
They had some nice Bellweather gear on Pushys cheap. My wife and I bought a few pairs of nicks cheap. I bought a pair of MTB shorts with the built in chamois and they're great too

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Assos... Yes they are $200 but ass awesome. I have a skinny boney ass and have had saddle and knicks battles forever. Got the saddle right eventually then got the chamois sorted.
For up to a 2 hour ride I can wear anything, any longer I need decent shorts on.

John U

MTB Precision
I used the Ground Effects Exocets in my one and only solo 24. Can't remember how long I wore them for but it was over 12 hours. They were fucking ace. I highly recommend them.
https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/coll...ducts/exocets-nylon-lycra-premium-bike-shorts

They now have a 3 month free trial
'Three Month 'Free' Trial. Ride the Exocets (hard) and if they don't blow you away, return them to us within 90 days for a full refund. '
Pretty hard to beat.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
For all the 24hr racing I did (10 races I think) it was always Assos.
If you are riding that long it is money well spent. There is nothing worse than a niggle like bad shorts at the back of your head for an event that long.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
There are a few things at play here.

Personal preferences/shape etc etc
- This is where a pair of knicks will be very similar to selecting a saddle.
Knicks/Saddle interface - You are now starting to bring together a group of items that may/may not play nicely with each other. The padding densities of different foams and saddle frame materials will interact very very differently, especially as the duration increases.
Budget - Are you splashing on one super special pair? Are you trying to get enough matchy bibs to commute every day? You'll start wearing out high end knicks very quickly if they're even WEEKLY use items.

Within the knicks themselves you need to consider:
Chamois - there are many options out there. I get on really well with the "Elastic Interface" Endurance chamois that is found in a few offerings, most DHB knicks now offer chamois made by EI (which is ripping value at their price point). For me, I want a chamois material that is supportive without being bulky (makes you feel like you're wearing a nappy). "spongy" feeling Chamois will often compress a lot which means that their performance can vary.
Other materials - Other than just your sensitive bits in contact with the chamois, you need to consider leg length, gripper type, compression materials, brace materials, brace length

My favourite knicks to date aren't produced any more.... I only ever got one pair (though I did get to trial the early prototypes) Spin Cycle Clothing Core 1 2019 with an RRP of $300. FWIW I have worn these up to 8hrs without needing chamois cream. Never tried a 24 without chamois cream because I don't want to find out the hard way....

Like any product, you get what you pay for and the balance of Cost/Comfort/Performance/Durability is always something you'll need to deal with.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
For me, I have found Castelli Volo bib shorts the most comfortable. Price, you should be able to get them for a little over $100.