27.5 is dead

_______

Is an alien from 2007
fwiw in my old shop in the uk we used to get sick of the long face customers would pull when we couldn't get stock and told them to get it from chaino for us to fit, were on the cusp of setting CRC up as a distributor in the system and all (this was 2013) -> local shimano distributor saw sense and did a deal with shimano NA so we could pass through order direct from the states anything out of stock locally.

local distro kept us from "jumping ship", we got an in-store solution for (many of our) customers too old/timepoor/british to shop on teh interwebz, customers suddenly got expert help navigating all the options on newly-available obscure shimano parts via s-tec and our workshop manager/big-S oracle and no one did anything silly like fit a sram rear derailleur to an Orange except me. Everybody happy. Except the Orange owner, but he had other issues.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
and charges local retailers double what o/s distributors pay, they are definitely thumbing their nose at their customers.
I agree, this does fuck me off too. I agree the markup on prices in Australia is fucking ridiculous but it is definitely not limited to bikes and is a real problem. I don't know how to fix it. What really grinds my gears is fucking Apple charging more for an electronic download. How in fuck does that happen?? Anyway I digress.....

I want to buy some Norco gear. Can you show me where and how? Serious question
I'm not sure what you are after in regards Norco gear but I can find a vast number of listings for Norco kit here in Australia. What are you looking for?

Nobody in Australia stocks it, nor wants to.
I'm not really sure how this is Norco's fault. If no one wants to stock it then what can they do? I like Norco stuff so I don't understand why no one would choose to stock it. As I said above I can find a vast number of listing for Norco in Australia so......

What am I missing here?

Norco Find a dealer I can find a shitload in Sydney alone....

Advance Traders (the Australian distributor.)

is it Norco fucking you around or their distributor here in Australia?

I emailed Norco a week ago ... no answer ... so I posted on their fakebook page ... they deleted it ....

But you're telling me that isn't a double fuck you? It's just one example, but applies to every large manufacturer in the MTB industry.

Show me how I'm wrong.
I can't speak to this.

Last edited:

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I'm not really sure how this is Norco's fault. If no one wants to stock it then what can they do? I like Norco stuff so I don't understand why no one would choose to stock it. As I said above I can find a vast number of listing for Norco in Australia so......

What am I missing here?

Norco Find a dealer I can find a shitload in Sydney alone....

Advance Traders (the Australian distributor.)

it's not Norco fucking you around, it's their distributor here in Australia.
Norco closed their store to all but USA and Canada. How is that not their fault. The Australian distributors import bikes. Not parts, or merchandise.
Norco did eventually reply to my FaceBook post, privately, asking me to "reach out" (no shit) to the local distributor to buy a hoodie. A hoodie they don't import. A hoodie that, if I choose to pursue the purchase of, that I will pay triple the actual retail value, after paying Norco, their distributor, and then the retailer who eventually sells it. I estimate a 6-8 week process. It's ridiculous, and not an exercise I care to indulge in.

Norco was just an example to make the point. Put Cannondale, Santa Cruz, Shimano, and however many others you like in there. The same story is repeated.

My bitch is about geo-blocking.

Thanks for reaching out regarding our merchandise. Due to tax and import/export complications we have restricted the sales of our merchandise to our largest and closest markets, Canada and the USA. Please reach out to our Australian distribution partner Advance Traders http://advancetraders.com.au/ to see about getting some merch in your neck of the woods.

Best regards,

Jeremy A

Last edited:

FigBo0T

Yep I can definitely sympathize with that mate. It's fucking bullshit.
It really is. How is it that we're 'moving towards globalism' ? It seems like the opposite. Not that I advocate for globalism ... fuck that ... but if retailers aren't going to stock (that's another story) then why would you cut yourself off from guaranteed revenue? We know about the import duties and sales taxes. We live here, ffs. Obviously, if we choose to buy, we're prepared to pay.

These same companies make it prohibitively expensive and logistically impractical for importers and retailers to stock the merchandise, with contractual display stipulations and minimum order requirements, then try to shift responsibility back to the hamstrung locals.

I can't see the logic. It's very easy to buy counterfeit merch from Romania ...... shit's all over Ebay

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Geo blocking is an attempt to manipulate the market . In the big picture we are a small distant market.
The companies eg Shimano currently think that the internet, and globalisation may give the consumer too much power to bypass traditional rent seekers and blood suckers ie distributors and wholesalers.
I like Shimano stuff but would use Sunrace etc for consumables also are worthwhile on sellers like Shipito
If it was confined to Australia and say if you lived in Victoria, therefore had to pay more, it would prolly be a matter for the ACCC but worldwide it is lawless like the tax shelter system.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I like Shimano stuff but would use Sunrace etc for consumables also are worthwhile on sellers like Shipito
Go Sunrace. I picked up my MX8 from Cyclingdeal and it is a bargain.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sunrace-MX8-11-Speed-Mountain-Bike-Bicycle-Cassette-11-46T/361836400071?

Geoblocking for MTB products and its parallels with the product offerings on Amazon.com vs. amazon.com.au and Netflix having a US vs. AU catalogue. All trying to keep a traditional walled geographical market over an essentially non geographical network like the internet. AU folks lose out in virtually all cases. Hopefully people recognising this f**kery helps the smaller players like Microshift to gain a bit more market share over the current component duopoly that are happily bending us over.

Any company that supports it deserves my efforts to bypass it one way or another. F**k Gerry Harvey while I'm at it and the only time I'll ever enter one of his stores is to use his bathroom.

Ending my mini-rant on a high note - Happy New Year all.

safreek

Go Sunrace. I picked up my MX8 from Cyclingdeal and it is a bargain.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sunrace-MX8-11-Speed-Mountain-Bike-Bicycle-Cassette-11-46T/361836400071?

Geoblocking for MTB products and its parallels with the product offerings on Amazon.com vs. amazon.com.au and Netflix having a US vs. AU catalogue. All trying to keep a traditional walled geographical market over an essentially non geographical network like the internet. AU folks lose out in virtually all cases. Hopefully people recognising this f**kery helps the smaller players like Microshift to gain a bit more market share over the current component duopoly that are happily bending us over.

Any company that supports it deserves my efforts to bypass it one way or another. F**k Gerry Harvey while I'm at it and the only time I'll ever enter one of his stores is to use his bathroom.

Ending my mini-rant on a high note - Happy New Year all.
Make sure you shit on his floor, like he has done to us

FigBo0T

He’s what 7’+? Standover is not looking that comfy
(7’1” or 2m16) *from the link//
That's what I thought too. He's been over-biked. Their smallest frame size is 2XL, which they recomend for shorties like me (6'1") but where the standard for 36" wheeled bike frames comes from, I have no idea.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
View attachment 358869

That helmet isn't doing him any favours either...

I'd love to see a Commodore ute fly by him and peg a water bottle at him, give him a verbal and then be caught up at the lights 100m down the road, happens to me a bit...it would be the only time I'd wish to be 7'1 and 147 kgs.

Last edited:

FigBo0T

That helmet isn't doing him ant favours either...

I'd love to see a Commodore ute fly by him and peg a water bottle at him, give him a verbal and then be caught up at the lights 100m down the road, happens to me a bit...it would be the only time I'd wish to be 7'1 and 147 kgs.
The helmet was for an American Express TV commercial. I'd say he got to keep the bike. They custom make them for the Bastardballers. That's how you sell an 8k USD alloy hardtail, I guess.
(custom build +$1600 to start)

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
considering 27.5 is dead there seems to be a lot of 29er stuff for sale ?
Is that people getting out of 29 or just swapping around ?