27.5 is dead

moorey

call me Mia
Well progress requires changes, we whinge everytime but now we have bikes that are pretty fucking awesome in my opinion. I sold my old Scott a few years ago, short top tube, noisy 2x with no clutch, no dropper, "long" travel 130mm fork, pull shock, steep head angle, very slack seat angle (stupid pull shock frame design), skinny 26" rims, and heres the best one, Shimano XT brake/shifter in one....who remembers those death traps...how quickly people forget shimano XT were once the biggest pile of shit out there.
I for one embrace the changes and progress. Bring it on.
Geometry isn’t a standard.
1x isn’t a standard.
Droppers aren’t a standard.
Dual control wasn’t a standard.

Nothing you mentioned is relevant to the standards being enforced on people.
I’m all for improvements. Tell me how we’ve improved from 150x12r/110x20f that was canned for all but DH in favour of ‘improved’ 100x15 or new boost stuff?

They say they are catering for what sells. What sells is the forced changes we are made to swallow.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
, Shimano XT brake/shifter in one....who remembers those death traps...how quickly people forget shimano XT were once the biggest pile of shit out there.
sram has that now, lbs posted 3 gx/nx derailleur all bent in last week, they reckon #1 they are built shite #2 people riding is shite

i’m still quicker on 27.5, except for flattish fire rd, whether that is going up or down..it is close-ish though, i’m within 10secs on most short segments on a 29er, only another 5sec back with 26” tyres...shock hooror they sren’t sooo slooooowwwww
i lose time on tight corners on the 29, & it takes me longer get back up to speed, 9n which case i’m braking for the next turn.

i’m also usually quicker on a hard tail on most segments, harcourt is a case en point..i digress, i’m hoping they bring in 28” wheels, to bring back the randonneur glory days of the 50-70’s

moorey

call me Mia
I’m sure I’m a little quicker on the 27.5’s than the 26’s...but also, the 26’s are older bikes with geo less suited to descending.
When I’ve played with the same bike on different wheels (spitty and tranny take either), I can’t feel a difference.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Geometry isn’t a standard.
1x isn’t a standard.
Droppers aren’t a standard.
Dual control wasn’t a standard.

Nothing you mentioned is relevant to the standards being enforced on people.
I’m all for improvements. Tell me how we’ve improved from 150x12r/110x20f that was canned for all but DH in favour of ‘improved’ 100x15 or new boost stuff?

They say they are catering for what sells. What sells is the forced changes we are made to swallow.
Sorry I didn't mean to say or refer they were "standards" just changes for progress.

150 with no grooves in the swingarm on my Glory was a pain in the arse. Would have been happy with 150 with cutouts however.

Agree some changes are probably economic more that progression like your example.

The only thing I see "standard" in mountain biking is the whinging about changes, lol.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also, my first four pot XT brakes shat on the Hayes of the day.
Yes, the 4 pots were good but the brake lever and shifter in one was not. Didn't hang around long, they soon realized it wasn't a good idea, leave it for roadies.

moorey

call me Mia
Yes, the 4 pots were good but the brake lever and shifter in one was not. Didn't hang around long,
Still got a set if you want them. Came on a $7k DH bike in 2004 of all things. (On m800 Saint calipers, at least)

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m sure I’m a little quicker on the 27.5’s than the 26’s...but also, the 26’s are older bikes with geo less suited to descending.
When I’ve played with the same bike on different wheels (spitty and tranny take either), I can’t feel a difference.
Is there really much measurable difference in rolling diameter? I always thought 27.5 were really closer to 27 amd the half thing was just Giant marketing?
Never actually measured or checked.

moorey

call me Mia
Is there really much measurable difference in rolling diameter? I always thought 27.5 were really closer to 27 amd the half thing was just Giant marketing?
Sweet FA. About 10-15mm total height with same tyres.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm 6'4 and 29ers are a godsend, feel like I'm riding a bmx with 26 wheelers..

I've had other riders tell me now, from the safety of time, that when I was riding my 26" dually I looked quite absurd.
Another 6'4" rider here loving 29" (as well as 27.5 650b).

I'd never trust a website / magazine on what's dead or not regarding wheelsizes. They're all after marketing coins from selling bikes.

moorey

call me Mia
26 and 27.5 spitty lined up at eye level with 2.3 maxxis tyres.
I have to look closely which is which when pulling spare tyres out of the pile.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Rim diameters in mm are 559 for 26", 584 for 27.5" and 622 for 29". 700c for road is 622 and identical to 29" except for tyre and rim width.

To make things illogical, 27" (the old english road standard) is 630mm erd

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I've had other riders tell me now, from the safety of time, that when I was riding my 26" dually I looked quite absurd.

absolutely right XS and small frame should be 26 option , XL and XXL frame should be 29 .
Everything else why not 27.5?

moorey

call me Mia

absolutely right XS and small frame should be 26 option , XL and XXL frame should be 29 .
In a perfect world, sure.
Not practical or feasible though.

gippyz

Likes Dirt

Liteville is doing that. I have both 601 and 101. The big guy 601 is 26er and 101 is 27.5. Both small frame. Can't imagine myself riding 29er (actually tried 29er and didn't like it)