27.5 plus tyre thread

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Well, actually it's something in the back of me head. If wider/bigger is better why stop at 2.8"-3.0". Just go full fat 29'er and be done with it.
I rode an s-works fat boy, and whilst it was good fun it doesn't hold a candle to the stumpy/Enduro platform. It was more of a chainsaw opposed to a scalpel...

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
this causes a conundrum... ideally i want ~40mm internal width, but i also want carbon.
most of the more common brands such as Light Bicycle, Zelvy, Derby, etc. make 35mm internal or jump up to 45mm internal... more searching required.
Do you think you'll notice any loss in stiffness when you're rolling on 2.8" or bigger tyres on alloy instead of carbon, or are you wanting to keep weight down?

I know this is a little off-topic, but I found this vitalmtb review of the Pivot Switchblade quite interesting. Once you get past all the details about how the bike design evolved and hub sizes etc., there is some good feedback on how it rides as a 27.5+ vs 29. The general gist of the article is that plus size tyres dumb down the trail and let you plough through technical features, whilst 29 inch wheels allow the rider's ability to be tested more.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Well, actually it's something in the back of me head. If wider/bigger is better why stop at 2.8"-3.0". Just go full fat 29'er and be done with it.
Hey Warp, I couldn't resist posting this photograph given your avatar and spouting fat.....

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Might just be the photo but your rim looks too narrow for that tyre in the first photo. Cornering knobs look too low down side wall. Will have dud cornering traction and feel I'd imagine.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Might just be the photo but your rim looks too narrow for that tyre in the first photo. Cornering knobs look too low down side wall. Will have dud cornering traction and feel I'd imagine.
could be a combination or even the tyre. was on a 30mm internal width rim, which is on the smaller side but not entirely 'narrow'. same tyre on an WTB i45 scraper (45mm internal) has side knobs way down the side too.
that said, it felt superb. first time i tested it on a stumpy 6fattie it didn't bond with me, but the same wheels stuck under a familar bike (and also setup tubeless, instead of tubed) and it just felt like my bike, just with more traction.

whats more fun to play with though, scalpel or chainsaw?
a good question. either will kill me...

given the choice i'd have one of each for the differing conditions. for the one bike fits all category, i choose the scalpel... the big scalpel.

No Skid Marks

could be a combination or even the tyre. was on a 30mm internal width rim, which is on the smaller side but not entirely 'narrow'. same tyre on an WTB i45 scraper (45mm internal) has side knobs way down the side too.
that said, it felt superb. first time i tested it on a stumpy 6fattie it didn't bond with me, but the same wheels stuck under a familar bike (and also setup tubeless, instead of tubed) and it just felt like my bike, just with more traction.

Yeah does look better, but yes still pretty round tread.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Yeah does look better, but yes still pretty round tread.
yes indeed.

interesting point you raise.. as it's the side knobs that foul on my frame with a 3" rear. i'm trying a 2.8", but perhaps a 3" with a narrower tread profile would do the job. or even cutting down the side knobs, you'd need to lean it pretty far over to use them.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
3" ground control, similar wrap around to the purgatory.

3" WTB bridger, tall treader and wraps less. downside is it's a 1.2kg tyre... that's a lot to try push around on the rear.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
yes indeed.

interesting point you raise.. as it's the side knobs that foul on my frame with a 3" rear. i'm trying a 2.8", but perhaps a 3" with a narrower tread profile would do the job. or even cutting down the side knobs, you'd need to lean it pretty far over to use them.
Have a look at a 2.8 Rocket Ron, they seem to have a squarer profile to say a 3.0 Nobby Nic.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Have a look at a 2.8 Rocket Ron, they seem to have a squarer profile to say a 3.0 Nobby Nic.
2.8" i know will fit easy. the 3" physically fits, but only leaves a couple of mm either side. i've got a 2.8 Ikon+ coming... given the "big 2.35" ikon is one of my favourite tyres, the 2.8 should be bloody awesome.

No Skid Marks

3" ground control, similar wrap around to the purgatory.

3" WTB bridger, tall treader and wraps less. downside is it's a 1.2kg tyre... that's a lot to try push around on the rear.

Bottom one looks best even though it has dud grip. I'd choose tread and tyre profil over some undamped etra tyre suspension fad. Try a lage 2.5 or something. See what that does for you.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
2.8" i know will fit easy. the 3" physically fits, but only leaves a couple of mm either side. i've got a 2.8 Ikon+ coming... given the "big 2.35" ikon is one of my favourite tyres, the 2.8 should be bloody awesome.
Loving my rear Ikon 2.2

Flow-Rider

Burner
Bottom one looks best even though it has dud grip. I'd choose tread and tyre profil over some undamped etra tyre suspension fad. Try a lage 2.5 or something. See what that does for you.
I'm pretty sure it would suit the trail environment he rides in, a mix of loose medium round rocks, a little bit on the sandy side trails and some hardpack.