27.5 plus tyre thread

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Bottom one looks best even though it has dud grip. I'd choose tread and tyre profil over some undamped etra tyre suspension fad. Try a lage 2.5 or something. See what that does for you.
i have a 2.5, it works well. the 3.0 was even better.

the first time i rode the wider tyres they didn't work for me and i considered them crap. my LBS owner convinced me to try his wheels on my bike, and i set a bunch of PR's everywhere. mainly on a track i have struggled with for the last few months... this was also nursing a head cold so i didn't feel 100%, but the proof is in the pudding for me.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
i have a 2.5, it works well. the 3.0 was even better.

the first time i rode the wider tyres they didn't work for me and i considered them crap. my LBS owner convinced me to try his wheels on my bike, and i set a bunch of PR's everywhere. mainly on a track i have struggled with for the last few months... this was also nursing a head cold so i didn't feel 100%, but the proof is in the pudding for me.
Is your bike the right weapon for the track in the first place?
Do you have decent skills? Are your times colse to the best strava times there? Asking because i presume fat tyres will aid novices the most, experienced skilled riders the least.
Is the said track the most ideal for semi fats, so the results are therefore bias and not compatable with other tracks and your bike is therefore compromised for other tracks by having the fats?
How long ride time are we talking? Might be faster at said track, but are you working harder physically?
The funnest bike I ever had had 3" tires. It was far from the fastest or grippiest or best handling, just fun. Your times speak volumes though, hence my questions.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Are your times colse to the best strava times there? Asking because i presume fat tyres will aid novices the most, experienced skilled riders the least.
I was going to ask the same thing but Strava times can mean very little, trail conditions change all the time, also people miss half the trail and cheat. I can't imagine hauling large tyres over a sprint section being easy. Inertia on rotating weight is actually quite costly on a mountain bike I have found.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Is your bike the right weapon for the track in the first place?
Do you have decent skills? Are your times colse to the best strava times there? Asking because i presume fat tyres will aid novices the most, experienced skilled riders the least.
Is the said track the most ideal for semi fats, so the results are therefore bias and not compatable with other tracks and your bike is therefore compromised for other tracks by having the fats?
How long ride time are we talking? Might be faster at said track, but are you working harder physically?
The funnest bike I ever had had 3" tires. It was far from the fastest or grippiest or best handling, just fun. Your times speak volumes though, hence my questions.
yes.......

I was going to ask the same thing but Strava times can mean very little, trail conditions change all the time, also people miss half the trail and cheat. I can't imagine hauling large tyres over a sprint section being easy. Inertia on rotating weight is actually quite costly on a mountain bike I have found.
Plus tyres aren't as heavy as you think. As I said before the 3" tyre on alloy rim I tested was 50g more than my 2.5 on a carbon rim.

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
NSM and Flow,

Some of your questions regarding time comparisons over different types of trails might be answered here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w6TMA2vI8bA
Good find. Sums up my (second) experience with plus tyres. I did expect it to be a little floatier and perhaps slower on the muddy sections, but he may have made up the difference elsewhere.

On a side note, the stumpy 6 fattie and stumpy 29 are the exact same bike, the fattie just has a boost rear end and fork... So probably the best bike he could have chosen for back to back trials.

Flow-Rider

Burner
NSM and Flow,

Some of your questions regarding time comparisons over different types of trails might be answered here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w6TMA2vI8bA

I though they would be better suited to the rock and roots environment. You can see the massive tyre flex when he flicks out on the trail in Wales, if that was on loose or hardpack he would of most likely lost it. Interested to see a test against other tyres like Magic Marys in the down hill trail test.

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Cool test, I dig that testers style.
Breaking was interesting and could play a major part in the results, by being able to brake later due to a wider braking surface.
I still always look back at Maxxis Minion 2.7s here. I liked them, but accross Australia, veeryone seemed to decide the 2.5s were quicker. Perhaps this was due to narrower rims.
I'm also interested in the percentage of bennefit that is purely from wider rims and not wider tyres.
Definitly the most encouraging review I've seen in their favor.
I'm only 65-70 kg so 2.5 tyres on 30mm(int)rims probably equals the same pressures on 3" for heavier dudes on 40mm rims.
2 seconds though, be careful not to compromise elsewhwere just to get on the semi fat fad. As with everything, balance of compromise to suit your needs is what matters most.
Thanks for the link and opinions.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Cool test, I dig that testers style.
Breaking was interesting and could play a major part in the results, by being able to brake later due to a wider braking surface.
I still always look back at Maxxis Minion 2.7s here. I liked them, but accross Australia, veeryone seemed to decide the 2.5s were quicker. Perhaps this was due to narrower rims.
I'm also interested in the percentage of bennefit that is purely from wider rims and not wider tyres.
Definitly the most encouraging review I've seen in their favor.
I'm only 65-70 kg so 2.5 tyres on 30mm(int)rims probably equals the same pressures on 3" for heavier dudes on 40mm rims.
2 seconds though, be careful not to compromise elsewhwere just to get on the semi fat fad. As with everything, balance of compromise to suit your needs is what matters most.
Thanks for the link and opinions.
a bit of maths i was looking at earlier on rim size...
a 2.3" tyre on a 30mm rim, 2.8" on a 37mm rim and 3.0" on a 40mm rim all have the same rim width/tyre width ratio. so the above test kept the right ratio too.

certainly not compromising or jumping on the next fad, as i said my first crack on plus size was terrible. i'll also be keeping my (two) sets of 29" wheels and would like to try my own back to back tests on all the tracks i ride.

No Skid Marks

a bit of maths i was looking at earlier on rim size...
a 2.3" tyre on a 30mm rim, 2.8" on a 37mm rim and 3.0" on a 40mm rim all have the same rim width/tyre width ratio. so the above test kept the right ratio too.

certainly not compromising or jumping on the next fad, as i said my first crack on plus size was terrible. i'll also be keeping my (two) sets of 29" wheels and would like to try my own back to back tests on all the tracks i ride.
Yeah please do your own test and post it up.
Also, please make notes of feel of traction. Can you feel driftrs etc precisely like with the narrower tires. We could get from start of track to end the fastest with a teliporter, there'd be no fun though. Fastsest might not be funnest, back to the 26" Vs debate…..
So getting back on track, are Maxxis semi fat tyres measured on Maxxis's old tape measure or their newer one?

Ivan

Eats Squid
I see Bontrager are releasing a 2.55"x29 version of there XR4 at just under 800g, with 50a durometer cornering knobs. This could be a sweet high volume tyre if your 29"won't fit full 2.8"x27.5 tyres

No Skid Marks

you'll run in to trouble with tyre height before width. 3" just fits width wise in my 29" pikes, i've seen pics of some 2.8's in 27.5 forks... very close to the bridge though.
Have DREMIL. ​Only joking, abort retort.Only kOnly joke

No Skid Marks

So. You're prepared to add 50 grams for the bennefit if semi fat. Why would they work better than 30mm internal rim with 2.5 tyre with 50 grams extra sidewall protection, like a DH casing maybe? You could run similer pressures.
Just seems a big leap has been made from a sense of reasoning(coff, marketing) we had, instead of just a slighter tweak. Never heard anyone say I'll go from 2.3 to larger 2.5 to run lower pressure and roll faster. I sort of came to my own conclusion 30mm internal rim with 2.4 tyres was the best balance for me, interested to hear otherwise. If I run sub 20psi they feel squirmy even with DH tyres and I weigh sweet F A.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Check this out - 3" tyre on a 50mm rim on a SC Hightower:

There is not a single trail I ride where that would make any sense whatsoever.

Ivan

Eats Squid
They would suit my (winter) trails great. It would be mad to get a drift on with those big boys...

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
i just dont get you lot..
y'all bag the shit out of fatbikes..too slow, too heavy, too weird looking
now everyone wants to turn their enduro bike into a fattie.:loco:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
So. You're prepared to add 50 grams for the bennefit if semi fat. Why would they work better than 30mm internal rim with 2.5 tyre with 50 grams extra sidewall protection, like a DH casing maybe? You could run similer pressures.
Just seems a big leap has been made from a sense of reasoning(coff, marketing) we had, instead of just a slighter tweak. Never heard anyone say I'll go from 2.3 to larger 2.5 to run lower pressure and roll faster. I sort of came to my own conclusion 30mm internal rim with 2.4 tyres was the best balance for me, interested to hear otherwise. If I run sub 20psi they feel squirmy even with DH tyres and I weigh sweet F A.
i've answered all these questions before, go back and read.

i just dont get you lot..
y'all bag the shit out of fatbikes..too slow, too heavy, too weird looking
now everyone wants to turn their enduro bike into a fattie.:loco:
fat bikes ARE too slow, too heavy and too wierd looking. :lol: i did enjoy the fatboy, it was awesome fun but it wasn't fast. there is always going to be a compromise between weight, grip and feel...

for some people the 4.8" tyres offer the best grip and feel, and they are prepared to cop the weight. others want light and fast, and will sacrifice grip on 2.1" tyres...

for me, the 2.8-3" seems to offer the best compromise.. but as i said, that is my opinion. noskidmarks clearly thinks i'm wrong, but that's his opinion too.

Last edited: