29er Tyre Thread

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think that weight in the tyre, particularly on a 29er is a big deal. Compare a RaRa at 510g each, versus say a Crossmark at 800 grams each, this will be noticeable on the hill climbs. That is over half a kilo or rotating mass difference. Some people would pay $1000 to get that weight off their bike.
I paid $2k extra last time lol /enves (idiot). Nobby Nic's 2.25 TR. Got a RaRa 2.25 TR to try on the rear..

notime

Likes Dirt
2.0 Fast Track 'controls' are out of stock. they are very rare at the moment. Your best bet is to look for floor stock in dealers. I was in NZ the other day and found 1, so I bought it for a friend who was looking in Aus for it.
Good Luck.
Not due in store till December. Waiting / looking for a pair myself.

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
Under Pressure!

What pressure are folks running these days?

I've been experirmenting. I've got Racing Ralph 2.25's. Total bike + Rider 90kgs at the moment (that has to change!)

25 PSI front and rear no problems.

This week trying to go down to around 22 to 23 (guage halfway between 20 and 25)

It feels so much smoother (I'm on an alloy HT at present) and I'm yet to pinch (not tubeless).

Haven't really looked in to tubeless pro's and con's yet, will on my next rig though.

Two more questions on tyres (potentially stupid)

- Are700c and 29 inch tyres the same??
- What's the go with tubeless, do you need a tubeless specific rim and tyre?

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily

Not sure on the 700c vs 29 inch.
For tubeless, you can use tubeless specific rims or if you dont have these, you can get a rubber rim strip which will hold the bead of the tyre to set up tubeless. The tyre doesn't have to be a tubeless tyre. Though some may work better than others. I tried a non tubeless Continental race king but the side walls had lots and lots of small pinholes. Kept leaking air. I could get the tyre to bead, but once inflated, kept going flat.

bikerboy85

Likes Dirt
Not sure on what the difference is between the EXC and EXO, but ive ran the EXO version on both a 26er and a 29er with a scoop of stans no problems, thats also on a non tubeless rim.

Im just about to pull the trigger on a set of Rubena "syclla" tyres. They seem to be the "new kid on the block", anyone currently running them? Whats the difference between the grey line series?

700c and 29 inch (and some manufacturers' 28 inch) are the same in terms of bead diameter. The figure that is important to match is the ERTO sizing which should be 622.

As for tubeless, rims and low pressure tyres can be converted. If your looking at 700c high pressure road tyres then they need to be tubeless tyres.

Bodin

GMBC
I tried a non tubeless Continental race king but the side walls had lots and lots of small pinholes. Kept leaking air. I could get the tyre to bead, but once inflated, kept going flat.
I couldn't make these work without a rim strip, so I made one by cutting a 26" tube to the perfect with for the rims (Giant PXC-2 from an Anthem) and now they're spot on. Haven't had to use excessive sealant (2 cups in each) to get a seal. They leak a bit of air over time, so I usually have to check pressures between rides, but aside from that, the set up has been faultless and the tyres, which I used to think were slow, heavy pigs are now my tyre of choice for my XTC 29er.

700c and 29 inch (and some manufacturers' 28 inch) are the same in terms of bead diameter. The figure that is important to match is the ERTO sizing which should be 622.

As for tubeless, rims and low pressure tyres can be converted. If your looking at 700c high pressure road tyres then they need to be tubeless tyres.
What's considered "low pressure" ??

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's considered "low pressure" ??
when you convert tube type mtb tyres to tubeless for XC type riding you can run pressures as low as 20 psi, realistically 25-30 is about right. 2 reasons - sidewalls are 'not' reinforced so sidewall will be prone to failure (rock penetrates sidewall with large cut) and secondly the tyre can roll off the rim on extreme cornering. So if you land slightly sideways or corner on a hard surface; the bead will let go and you go over the bars as the tyre deflates rapidly. of course there are tubeless specific tyres but there's a weight penalty there.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
A mate of mine is about to give the Vredestein Spotted Cat 29x2.0 tubeless a roll...similar sort of pattern to the AKA
Follow up on the Vredestien's. In the flesh these tyres are sharp and narrow, they almost feel 'hooked'. In many ways like a spiky Furious Fred.

However, sadly for my mate, they don't fit his Bontrager UST rims that came stock on his GF Paragon. Getting them on required the effort of levers, muscles and much tension (along with the paitence of a saint). A couple of levers met their maker. Once they got on they were so tightly held into the centre gully that when air was applied to seal the bead...the tyre folded the rim tape and broke the seal. Taking the problem to the club mechanic and having him start from scratch produced nothing more than highly entertaining swearing from said mechanic.

When he handed them to me saying they'd probably be fine on a fully tubeless ready rim like on my CB Cobalt's...I figured why not. So I took them home and tried them on a set of empty wheels I happened to have which Cannondale see fit to put on their Trail SL 29er's - Formula hubs with Maddux rims. Cheap/nasty. The Vrdesteins went on with the simple application of my thumbs and fingers...:laugh: Said mate is far from impressed.

At some stage in the future (perhaps when I've killed the collection of AKA, Crossmarks and Small Block Eights that I already have?) I might actually try these tyres out on a set of wheels that I'll actually use...the only thing that concerns me is that the AKA's were a tight fit on the Cobalts but at least they sealed up with a mere fart of air.

But in the end I'll wager that Vrdestein tyres may not be for rims that are already known to be tight fits for tubeless ready tyres from Europe...like Bontragers and Stans.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Follow up to the follow up...

I ended up with another pinch flat and decided to ghetto tubeless the Giant PXC2 rims (Nashua Gaffa and Nitto electrical tape - 1 layer each) using the Vred's. Worked a treat except for the dipshit tubeless valves that I had which had to be wrapped with extra plumbers tape to get to seal up.

The Vred's were a tightish fit on the rim but went on OK. The other plus was the fact they popped up to the rim just fine using a track pump. But they proved to be massively porus in the sidewall. Of course the goo sealed them up but to say tubeless ready on the sidewall and then leak like a knitted jumper on a windy day is gilding the lily in my book.

Anyway, the Vred's shred. The dry sand/dirt over hardpack surfaces we have here can get a little slippy under the Crossmarks and Kenda Small Blocks when pushed hard but these things rail the corners really nicely - very confidence inspiring. When things get damp they get hopeless but at least the tread self cleans (unlike Crossmarks) when the trail drys out.

Definitely worth considering as an alternative to the usual dry pack tyres....

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Can warped tyres be straightened/de warped?
Hi Monks

No they cant mate. I once tried sticking it in the deep freeze - has it was probably deformed from heat - but it dont work. Schwalbe are the worst for this.

Have a good christmas
JD

Lard

Likes Dirt
Speaking of warped tyres, don't run Conti-X-King's tubeless. I've now killed 2 of them after landing off small jumps, the tyre burps the and warps really badly.

Monks

Likes Dirt
Hi Monks

No they cant mate. I once tried sticking it in the deep freeze - has it was probably deformed from heat - but it dont work. Schwalbe are the worst for this.

Have a good christmas
JD
Thanks JD, I had to ditch the schwalbe RR, and put a set of Conti Race king 2.2's on. She's looking good with new shoes on.

Talking about heat/cold. I managed to fit the Conti's with a lot less effort after I had left them out in the sun on the 39 degree day for a few minutes and then fitted them. Nice and soft.