30.8mm post in a 30.9mm hole...

RDH

Likes Dirt
Firstly - that's what she said.

Secondly - My new HT frame as a 30.9 seat tube diameter and I recently purchased a cheap-as-sh!t 30.8mm seat-post from CRC and am wondering if I am risking damage to the frame by using it given that, technically, it is the wrong size. I find i hard to believe that 0.1mm is going to make a different but would still like some learned advice/opinions. Anyway, thoughts?

tidlibit

Likes Dirt
it will be fine, your frame has a slot in it to compress right? .1 for that kind of dia tube isint going to let it move much down lower in the seattube, unless you only have like 2 or 3 inches in the frame, even then most of witch would be clamped anyway.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it'll be fine mate, use your judgement when you install it. I'd imaging the tolerance's in manufacturing a cheap as shit post wouldn't even be 0.1mm so maybe it will be the right size anyway..

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Tighten the seatclamp to buggery however if there is still some movement, cut a small strip of aluminium drink can and bend it into a circular shape insert it into the seat tube and that should give you that extra 0.1mm between the post and the seat tube.

Also known as the coke can shim...

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
My 27.2mm posts slips down in my 27.3mm frame, just used a Coke can shim and she's sweet!

brendonj

Likes Dirt
You can buy my 30.9 seat post that I bought, only to find out my bike needed a 30.8 :) Not after much