4X Parts Thread.

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alright, so i wouldnt mind a bit more stiffness in the rear end. Im thinking of 10mm rear end. Only thing im unsure of is do i go for a bolt up or a thru axle? Im using a hope pro 2 hub and the frame will be a morewood enza or my current mongoose.
any help would be greatly appreciated

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey,
I'm looking to get some Hydro's for my 4X rig, im currently looking a Juicy 5's off CRC for around $90per end, any suggestions. What about SLX brakes or XT?

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey,
I'm looking to get some Hydro's for my 4X rig, im currently looking a Juicy 5's off CRC for around $90per end, any suggestions. What about SLX brakes or XT?
for $90 an end that pretty good. I use juicy 5's on my dh bike and they go great, definatly worth alot more then $90 an end. Go for them.

Fraz

Likes Dirt
So it seems I've got to use Hope ProII's as the Nukeproofs don't come in a 135 × 10 option. They seem very similar so not to fussed.

Do the Ex500's have a presta or schrader valve hole?

DHZILLA

Likes Dirt
Single speed can do well if you're racing mountain bike at the local BMX races. At least you kind of fit in that way, and courses are designed around SS BMX's after all.

Possibly a Hammershimdt set of cranks could to well with just two gears or an Alfine or Rohloff hub to if your set on keeping things clean and sleek :)
Can any 4x/dj frame be set up as single speed?

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what about slx brakes,
they're shimano, so they must bee good, and if you ask me, they look better than aj5's

and they're cheaper.

anybody running them and has some advice on how they go for 4x

nitrous to burn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what about slx brakes,
they're shimano, so they must bee good, and if you ask me, they look better than aj5's

and they're cheaper.

I rode afew bikes with SLX's and all i can say is im amazed at the stopping power you get from such a cheap brake. Feel very similar to the Saint brake IMO, with a little less power, which can work to your advantage in a way. I was thinking of getting them, but CRC had Elixr R's for a little under $300 with rotors and adapter's etc., so wasn't going to bother. They're light too, so you wont have a problem with that. IMO they would be a better brake to get over the Juicy 5's, more power, better adjustibility, lighter, and cheaper.
Tom.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode afew bikes with SLX's and all i can say is im amazed at the stopping power you get from such a cheap brake. Feel very similar to the Saint brake IMO, with a little less power, which can work to your advantage in a way. I was thinking of getting them, but CRC had Elixr R's for a little under $300 with rotors and adapter's etc., so wasn't going to bother. They're light too, so you wont have a problem with that. IMO they would be a better brake to get over the Juicy 5's, more power, better adjustibility, lighter, and cheaper.
Tom.
thanks alot mate, thanks to that i think i will get them now, appreciate the advice!

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what about slx brakes,

and they're cheaper.

I'll second this, they have the same power as the old m800 saint brakes. I ran a set on y dh bike for a while and they went quite well.
All in all a great brake, and quite cheap.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a singlespeed hub but does it matter about the vertical dropouts? I think i read somewhere to just use a chain tensioner.
yeah you can use one of those, as its usually impossible to get the right chain tension with the vt's. Make sure you dont skimp on one though, you'll pay for it in the long run. Bun a good quality one such as the DMR model.

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so im considering a new set of forks. Ive got a few options:
#1 being that i keep my current recons and just wait till ive got enough money for 831's
#2sell my recons with my frame and get a set of x-fusions velvets(which weight just about as much as 831's but are $426.80
#3just keep my recons.
What should i do?

In relation to the velvets, i know they're light, but how do they go with the big hits? and how do they go with stiffness? im just worried that if i get rid of my recons and get the velvets that ill be buying a worse fork. The 831's will happen regardless its just at what point. r

garfield84

NSWMTB
so im considering a new set of forks. Ive got a few options:
#1 being that i keep my current recons and just wait till ive got enough money for 831's
#2sell my recons with my frame and get a set of x-fusions velvets(which weight just about as much as 831's but are $426.80
#3just keep my recons.
What should i do?

In relation to the velvets, i know they're light, but how do they go with the big hits? and how do they go with stiffness? im just worried that if i get rid of my recons and get the velvets that ill be buying a worse fork. The 831's will happen regardless its just at what point. r
831's ftw!!!

keep your current forks until you can afford 831s buddy

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Advertise Recon's as an EOI (expression of interest) and save up most of the money for 831's and then sell the Recons to make up the difference?

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Advertise Recon's as an EOI (expression of interest) and save up most of the money for 831's and then sell the Recons to make up the difference?
I'm selling my frame atm and have mentioned on the advert that i can include the forks for extra. ive got pretty much half the money for the 831's so i think i will just keep my forks n get them serviced etc and then get 831's.
On another note can u run a thru axle on a morewood enza? 10mm thru axle that is on a hope pro 2 hub.

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On another note can u run a thru axle on a morewood enza? 10mm thru axle that is on a hope pro 2 hub.
Yeah you should be able to. Vertical dropout's that are standard QR will always fit 10mm bolt up.
Plus, I have seen an Enza with a Pro 2 10mm!

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Double post by me, but this thread needs a bit of a bump to get things going again.

What are 4X racers going to be doing with the introduction of 2 x 10 gearing of Sram, or even the 3 x 10 of Shimano?

The other day I was considering only to run 4 gears as that was the maximum amount that I would actually use, and would improve my chain line. Normally I only use a easier gate gear and skip down 2 gears to a healthy pedalling gear for the rest of the track.

So are we looking at 1 x 10 for our future? Or for those considering taking gears out and tuning derailleur to fit a smaller set out back (1 x 10 makes this much, much harder)

Discuss.