6 " travel all mountain bike with iscg 05, tapered head tube, 12 x 142 rear thru axle

bpow

Likes Dirt
Loving this list of bikes, so many quality bike out there these days. Too many to test ride them all!

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
With the move to clutch mechs you won't need a full guide and can live with an XC type guide like the csixx ST guide ... so I hear

My current fantasy bike at the minute is the Intense Carbine which pretty much ticks the boxes of 5.5 to 6" travel, tapered Headtube, syntace 142 X12 but uses the BB92 press fit thingy which I'm a bit iffy about and no ISCG tabs. But I can run a cSixx HD guide on the direct mount front derailer point.

67deg HA with a 160mm fork ... 13.5 BB height so a little bit of room to slacken it further with a burgtec OSB kit :fat:

Will suck to climb, I guess ... but anything slightly down is gonna get ripped :pirate:

As per below ... except with a LEV and a 50mm stem

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Think you'll find they're 32's on the above..

I was looking very close at these, the BB thing and lack of proper guides to suit was one of the negatives. Ended up with a Mojo HD.
Here's one with 1x10 and 36's ;)
carbine-1x10-1680x1050.jpg

indica

Serial flasher
Commencal looks great. The Am I have seen in a group with us and seems to be well loved. Top bike really.

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
the titus El Guapo (EG) has all that.... well, will have when the next iteration comes out with the 142x12 seatstay (which will be retro-fittable to current models too). Pretty well priced too - I'd guess they'd be around $1500 once you get them shipped from the US.

The new one apparently is pretty much identical to the 2010 model, but with a tapered head tube (was straight 1.5"), slightly slacker (old one is already slacker than the claimed 68 anyway), and the thru axle rear end. The released info has the HA in the mid-66s with a fox36, or mid-67s with a 150mm fork. Like the old el guapo, bottom bracket remains very low, and would probably be too low with a 150mm fork, unless you don't have to pedal up and through much rocky stuff.

Travel is 150mm, despite it sounding like it will have identical rear end geometry to the old bike (which was claimed 155mm). i.e. they were being a little optimistic - something to do with straight line travel vs an arc or something.

btw, I have a 2010 model EG, after having an 'original' '07 model. Old one was a heavy weight (coils etc mid-15kg range), while new one is a lightweight (air, 13kg, or less if i ditched the joplin etc). Hardly ridden the new one, as i've been off the bike for 6 months. The frame/shock (push'd monarch) weighed in below 3kg, which is pretty good, especially given the strength/stiffness of the frame.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I would go with MrCove on this, old man that he is, i have ridden a few of the bikes mentioned and the only one i felt comfy on was the mojo hd, it pedals insanely into the bargain, i am coming from an stumpy evo that has got 36's and short stem etc, the mojo really felt great handling techy stuff and pedalling, very confidence inspiring!

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just bought THIS badboy, which fits all your requirements. Only had a chance to take it to a very XC orientated arena (with a few cool descents in it) so far, but first impressions are VERY good!

First thing I noticed is how well this bike pedals - amazingly good! I rode every hill unlocked without any bob, I tried climbing one locked out and it made it harder (was a rocky climb), the lockout would be OK for long fireroad climbs though. Very stiff as well, if it was any stiffer it would be too stiff (zero compliance, pinging off everything). I think thats why there is no arch on the seatstays, but it tracks amazingly.

Sucks up rough brilliantly, very stable, very surefooted on the rockiest descent I could find. Kept it off the brakes and it loved it. I haven't even set up the suspension correctly and it still descended brillaintly (and climbed). Very low BB, corners great but with the long crank arms I did clip my cranks plenty of times when pedaling, I've come from a hardtail with a high-ish BB though so I'm sure its just a matter of getting used to it, I never clip the cranks on my DH bike but thats a whole different ballgame.

I'm very, very impressed. The 67 degree head angle is very noticable, I'm undecided as to whether I like it or not yet. For XC stuff it feels really slack, you really have to throw it round corners rather than point it like you would a steeper bike. On descents its certainly the opposite, but definately feels steeper than a DH bike does - I guess this is what AM means though.

Overall pretty glad I bought it though - nice bike! With all going to plan I'll be riding some serious AM adventures on the West Coast of Tassie, and some bigger mountain descents.

Last edited:

davef

Likes Bikes
Thanks everyone for more suggestions, all look like amazing bikes but most over 5k I'd prob rather keep it under 4k. does anyone have an opinion on a giant reign sx or reign x1 (both the 6.7 inch travel reign), there's a few 2011 models floating round in shops at good prices, also as a lighter option with slightly less travel (6 inch) the 2012 spesh stumpy fsr evo seems to tick all the boxes. The giant has 135mm thru axle, does anyone know if the only benefit of the 142mm is that u can drop the wheel straight in like with a QR before u slide axle through and dont have to line up the axle and hub, cause surely the 142 isnt any stiffer?

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks everyone for more suggestions, all look like amazing bikes but most over 5k I'd prob rather keep it under 4k. does anyone have an opinion on a giant reign sx or reign x1 (both the 6.7 inch travel reign), there's a few 2011 models floating round in shops at good prices, also as a lighter option with slightly less travel (6 inch) the 2012 spesh stumpy fsr evo seems to tick all the boxes. The giant has 135mm thru axle, does anyone know if the only benefit of the 142mm is that u can drop the wheel straight in like with a QR before u slide axle through and dont have to line up the axle and hub, cause surely the 142 isnt any stiffer?
Stumpy is a good ride, not sold on the brain though.

If you're not wanting to spend over $4k then I still highly recommend the Commencal. I picked mine up for a steal (suffice it to say WELL under $3k) but the RRP is close to $4k, so find a shop and barter if it takes your fancy. Otherwise Giants are a pretty reliable rig, Maestro system works well.

jumpers

Likes Dirt
I recently got 2012 reign 1 - i bought this to replace my glory (had too many injuries dh'ing). Bike descends very well, can easily ride all my local dh traks - not as fast as glory but handles with ease. Climbs fairly well - i no xc whippet, dislike hills but can get up all hills on reign no worries. Note the 2012 "1" comes with dropper seat.

If looking at am machine i recommend reign 1 (xcept for stupid chain guide issue - but i still running 3 rings and have no hassles or dropped chain)

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Stumpy is a good ride, not sold on the brain though.

If you're not wanting to spend over $4k then I still highly recommend the Commencal. I picked mine up for a steal (suffice it to say WELL under $3k) but the RRP is close to $4k, so find a shop and barter if it takes your fancy. Otherwise Giants are a pretty reliable rig, Maestro system works well.
Stumpy evo doesnt have the brain, other stumpy models do but not the evo, rp23!

davef

Likes Bikes
I recently got 2012 reign 1 - i bought this to replace my glory (had too many injuries dh'ing). Bike descends very well, can easily ride all my local dh traks - not as fast as glory but handles with ease. Climbs fairly well - i no xc whippet, dislike hills but can get up all hills on reign no worries. Note the 2012 "1" comes with dropper seat.

If looking at am machine i recommend reign 1 (xcept for stupid chain guide issue - but i still running 3 rings and have no hassles or dropped chain)
Yeah sounds good mate but the x1 or sx is the burlier version with fox 36's, slacker h a, and 6.7 inch travel vs 6.