70's-80's Frank Paino road bike

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cool Ben, will PM (I go during work hours but hey O'm flexy).

You will keep this one?
If I like it after the Gong ride I'll do more than just keep it ;)

hey justin, would you be able to tell me where you got the bar tape from?cheers
I bought it from eBay actually (search for "cinelli cork" and you will see a few eBay stores selling it for $19AUD). Australian seller too, also came in a hurry. Unlike the other bar tape I bought, this tape is VERY easy to install nicely and came with everything. Plugs, finishing off tape (which was rubbish so I used electrical/PVC tape instead), 2 little pieces for under your brake hoods and PLENTY of tape enough for a whole drop bar.

With the exchange rate being so bad I'm looking local and so far I'm finding goodies for the Paino locally.

slamer

Likes Dirt
you made that bike sexy, i love the light.
off topic but what is that old skate deck in the background? (the one with the bottom facing the camera)
should get white brake pads to keep with the theme :)

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
off topic but what is that old skate deck in the background? (the one with the bottom facing the camera)
That's just a couple of blanks. The nice decks are on the wall as art :)

OK, the rear tyre came in the mail (they stuffed my order up, but acknowledged it and sent me the other tyre last Friday).

She's all ready for the Gong ride (but I'm not!). I've been feeling a little nervous about completing the 90km's as I haven't done any endurance training at all. I'm sure I'll make it, nervous energy is just something I go through before events.

With the help of family and friends I've raised $185 (not much but it's something) so far for the MS Society which is a good thing. Looking forward to the ride!

Last edited:

BT180

Max Pfaff
How do you like the look with both tyres in white? I reckon it looks pretty cool - certainly unique.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a small update:

I was feeling a bit of numbness and pain in my hands from holding onto the brake hooks, and this was only after the first 10km ride. I made the following changes in prep for the Gong ride last weekend:

Green - Saddle is now 1cm lower and also level to stop me from sliding forward and putting more weight onto the bars.

Blue - Bars are tilted up some more which in turn brings the brake hooks closer to me (I am less stretched out). It was suggested to me to point the bar ends toward the rear axle as a general rule of thumb.

Red - As a result from the changes, the brake levers are too far away for me when I use the drop bar position. Unfortunately no reach adjustment at all on these Suntour Superbe Pro levers.

The tweaks worked well and I was only feeling some slight tightness in my shoulders and neck in the last 20km's of the Gong ride. The bike was amazing going uphill out of the national park but the brakes were so bad that I basically had to do massive brake burners on every single downhill as I wouldn't have been able to stop at all if someone/something was to fuck up in front of me. It was more due to the lever action than the actualy rims/pads so it's something I might look into. All in all I loved it and was so glad I was riding the Paino rather than my single speed or Reign on slicks.

Matt (ukalipt) suggested Star Enamellers for painting frames ages ago. I called them in regards to the Reign but they spray, not powdercoat and I believe mountain bikes need a stronger finish that powdercoating gives. Since then I've had frames powdercoated on the cheap by Mr. Clean, and on the not so cheap by Grip Sports but the Paino is a roadie and doesn't need to be powder coated, she's getting the Royal Treatment (as Matt puts it).

The guys at MC Cyclery (formerly Maroubra Cycles) helped me take off the headset and bottom bracket (I didn't have the tools). Grant at MCC also said that I had no say in the matter at all, and that powdercoating it would be sacrilegious! He said I had to take it to Peter of Star Enamellers if I wanted to do it right (Grant has his own paint guy but still suggested Peter from Star Enamellers do the job).

I drove out to see Peter in Blacktown and was greeted by perhaps the nicest guy I've ever met. He instantly recognised the Paino, and said he knew Frank Paino but hadn't seen or heard of him in a long time. He also commented on how Frank Paino made amazing frames but the best bit of news after a bit of an inspection was that Peter thinks he was the guy who painted this very frame back in the 80's as he did a lot of work for Frank Paino back then!

I couldn't be happier, the frame is in great hands. It won't be cheap, or quick but I'm happy to pay and wait.

beno

Cycle Solutions
I used to work with Cranky Franky in Bikes R Us in Parra YEARS ago(round 2000)! Scares the shit out of most people, including me at first, (and he had a filing cabinet full of dept of fair trading letters to prove it!) but he is a top bloke and truely a legend! Havent seen him for a couple years now, and Im glad you put the trad gear back on, cause if frank Had of seen that bike with flat bars n what not, he would have walked right up to you and "stabbed you in the eye with a pen" quote/unquote! :)

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i had the same problem with pain on the litespeed. did basically the same as you and it feels great. you do get used less brake leverage in the drops though. i should post it up sometime. its seriously different to how it used to be.....

*and, hot bike:D*

white tyres look pretty snazzy i think.

Last edited:

mrbishi

Likes Bikes
Very nice as with all your work :D

I had a vintage steel Viner frame dropped off the powdercoaters last week to be done in white. Should be back early next week and the build shall commence. It'll be quite different to what you've done but I'll post it up to compare.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cool stuff guys.

I used to work with Cranky Franky in Bikes R Us in Parra YEARS ago(round 2000)! Scares the shit out of most people, including me at first, (and he had a filing cabinet full of dept of fair trading letters to prove it!) but he is a top bloke and truely a legend!
That's so awesome!

Is he doing original decals or the orginal decals with some mordern flair?
Amazingly he thinks he still has some Paino decals from the 80's and he's going to look hard for them. But I'm not a fan of the Paino logotype/font. The details like the heart with a "P" and the "Paino" as well as some lug details on the frame will be painted a lovely ferarri red (instead of black) and I've sourced the exact same Columbus tubing decal to re-apply to the seat tube.

After checking out Ray Dobbin's amazing site, and his page on polishing I thought I had to at least give polishing the vintage Campagnolo parts on the Paino a good go.

I dropped into Bunnings and picked up a $59 grinder (damn power tools are cheap these days). I also bought the right cutting and polishing wheels and compounds, some masks and clear specs too (might also come in hand for raining/muddy rides in future lol).

PS: http://www.raydobbins.com/

AMAZING bikes/site.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Progress has been slow. I've not buffed any of the parts yet and I've only knocked down one week of the 4 weeks that it's going to take before I get the frame back from Peter.

Greg Softley from Cyclomondo (http://stores.ebay.com.au/Cyclomondo) is the man when it comes to retro bicycle frame decals and I just received some COLUMBUS frame decals for my Paino frame. At the bottom of Greg's instruction sheet is a big plug for Peter Fleming from Star Enamellers. I figured that these guys worked together!

Old Columbus decal.

My new ones (and Greg chucked in a couple of free Campagnolo decals in too!) which will go onto the frame once Peter from Star Enamellers gets it back to me with fresh paint!

BT180

Max Pfaff
That's awesome. It's inspired me to buy some replacemet frame decals for my bike - eBay link.....not sure about them coming from Uruguay though. :confused:

joemax

Likes Dirt
Paino

I owned a Paino a while back. It was small (48 cm) and was used by my kids for juniors racing. I bought it second hand for $800 and sold it 3 years later in 2005 for $650. It had a full Shimano 600 8-speed STI groupset which probably dates it around 1995/1996 and was a great little bike. I sold it to a guy in Newcastle who was going to give it to his sister.

I found a few old shots. The picture quality is not great but I thought you might be interested to see another of Frank's bikes.

Attachments

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
joemax - thanks for sharing!

It looks a lot like a Paino that was on eBay only 2-3 weeks ago sold by eBay seller 'jb150104' who often sells smaller road bikes (I bought one off him a while back, an Apollo road bike made by Kuwahara).

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
heheheheh i think i distinctly remember you saying you wouldnt restore an old bike. but im quite glad that you are. id love to do up an old roadie, i just dont have the money:( but you've put the thought in my head:p

so thanks:D

and the bike will be great when its done.