740mm handlebar & 70mm stem combo

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can anyone recommend me a good 740mm carbon handlebar and 70mm stem combo? I have been looking around for a while now, and nothing has really taken my fancy. Requirements are:

- Not Renthal
- As above, 70mm length and 740mm width (or wider)
- Light (preferably sub 200g for bars)
- Black with minimal decals (or decals that can be removed)
- Not Renthal

Thanks

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Stem, go with a Syntace Megaforce2 for sure. Great looking stem, very light and super strong (well, I say that but I've never even come close to bending a stem). Really cool "low and fat" profile.

Bars, well, the Syntace Low Rise Flat Bars are great for my wrists. good options for sweep (9 or 12 degrees) but with no upsweep. I run 710 on mine, but they make some wider options.

It's a pity that Sunline don't make their V1 anymore. I've got a set of 762mm on my DH bike that are lovely to ride with and look the goods too.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Damn Renthal fanboys!

Cheers Isildur, I hadn't looked into Syntace at all - I'm liking what I see!

Any specific models Gripper? The Haven stuff is a bit showy for me, and there was something that put me off Thomson last time I looked..

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
If you don't like Renthal Fatbars, have you considered Renthal Fat Bar Lites? Seem like a good substitute.

Race face Next?

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Damn Renthal fanboys!

Cheers Isildur, I hadn't looked into Syntace at all - I'm liking what I see!

Any specific models Gripper? The Haven stuff is a bit showy for me, and there was something that put me off Thomson last time I looked..
Ha, you're welcome! They're bars and stems (well, in fact everything they do) are total quality. Been through many years of solid abuse and loving them still.

Enjoy!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Rhys,

If you are in Brissie then I have a set of Syntace Vector 740mm 12deg bars High 10 model, hardly used. Amazing bars in terms of shock absorption but they ended up being a bit wide for my XC tenancies so I'd consider offloading them.

Flick me a PM if interested.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Rhys,

If you are in Brissie then I have a set of Syntace Vector 740mm 12deg bars High 10 model, hardly used. Amazing bars in terms of shock absorption but they ended up being a bit wide for my XC tenancies so I'd consider offloading them.

Flick me a PM if interested.
one thing to consider with the Syntace bars is if you run the 12 degree sweep- i tend to run a 10mm longer stem. So a 6 degree with 60mm stem would simply be a 70mm with the 12 degree. I have the same pair as Creaky and that has been my findings. 12 degree is better on the my wrists but I am not Jared Graves or Mr Rennie- they would ride Renthal with everyone else- get with it OP.

Last edited:

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Yep I have Boobars I just cut to 750. Pretty plain and black. You wanna buy them? I want some Renthal Fatbar lites lol

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Won't be talked into Renthal - hate the whole fanboy thing plus they are exceptionally hideous.

Cheers creaky, was looking at them but I think I'd go with the 8 deg sweep and possibly the high 20s.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Pretty keen on carbon again for the bars. Would be keeping the FSA SL-Ks if I hadn't in a moment of madness cut them to 710 last year.

Oh and that Schmolke stuff looks scary light..

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Easton Haven? I've got a set of 711mm Haven bars and 70mm Haven stem and they're very nice indeed, the silver stem is a work of art. They make the Havoc bar and Haven 35 series (35mm clamp diameter) in 750mm.

I also have some Renthal fatbar lites attached to a Truvativ AKA 70mm stem, these are my favourites despite the limited colour choice :p

Gripo

Eats Squid
Any specific models Gripo? The Haven stuff is a bit showy for me, and there was something that put me off Thomson last time I looked..
Cockpit stuff is so personal.....

I hate the 9/5 deg bars that as they get wider the numbers seem more pronounced and I despise stems with any rise....

Really you have lots of great stuff to choose from you just have to eliminate all those things you don't like...

chocko

Likes Bikes
I got a set of nukeproof warhead carbon riser bars a little while ago and I like them. 760mm 20mm rise cant remember the rest but good quality and good finish unlike my riding..