A day in your life......

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
9-10am: wake up to my missus coming home and a puppy jumping on my face.
10:05 make breakfast and coffee while looking up at the weather forecast.
10:30 check the electronic mail machine for any hope of future employment
11 :00 get ready for a ride by catching up on the latest bicycling gadgets and gizmos
12: head out for a trail ride to clear the head.
2pm: check the interwebs for the lack of future employment excluding professionals and no where near professionals
3pm : depression set in.
4 pm: think about dinner while catching up on varying tv shows.
5: cook up a storm for the missus or house work.
6: check emails in despair again
7-9: more internet. rotorburn cheers me right back up
10pm: see the missus off to work.
12: sleep for the exact same day.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get up at 12

Have a wank.

Grab a coffee

Play some Dark Souls, maybe some Grid Autosport.

Have another wank.

Go for a ride

hit up the servo for some bain-marie dimmies.

go home and have another wank.

crack open a beer.

start cooking.

Eat dinner and watch the latest Daily Show + Colbert Reports

Have a cheeky dram

have another wank.

Watch my stories.

bedtime.

Maybe another wank.
Substitute playing Dark souls for bass guitar, hitting up the servo for hitting up a noodle bar, start cooking for leave the gate open for the delivery person, cheeky dram for another wank....and possibly a few more tugs in between.......maybe whilst waiting in traffic...in the taxi and yep that is a typical day

MasterOfReality

After forever
Was refeering to your awesome ability to multiply 4 by 7...........but see you have edited it.

"Whaddya mean shear? We's ain't farmin no sheeps....." :noidea:
Yeah was a typo so I corrected it - don't even know how I forgot it was 6 weeks, I nearly missed my wedding because of that. Sitting in the bush next to a drill rig, in the north of the Philippines and getting angry text messages from the missus really focuses the mind.

Thats a fuk'n cool job. Do you get to see when the pieces you study get blasted from the strata?
The drill & blast guys sometimes video the blasts if they are trying out something different but that's about it.

I have a perverse/unhealthy desire to see a highwall fail. Not to be underneath it of course or see anyone hurt/killed, but close enough to nearly shit yourself. Seen videos of some failures but yeah, to be there would be something else.

This would have been epic (although not healthy for Rio Tinto's balance sheet):

Longest stints I've done were a couple of 8 weekers offshore in Nigeria. THe first one was supposed to be a 3-month trip but thankfully my crazy ex-girlfriend burnt down her house and I had to fly home early to help her sort her shit out.
Yeah no thanks. How do you keep your sanity? When I was in my early 20's I maybe could have done it, but now in my mid 30's I couldn't be farked. I'm starting to hate fifo camp life. I'm stuck in the office at the moment as there isn't much to do but am looking for a residential mining ops role, mon to fri sort of thing.

My old man used to do the 8 week thing on the bulk carriers. He regularly used to do 6 months on / 6 months off when I was younger.

When I was in the Philippines, there was another aussie guy there who was on daily rates as an underground superintendent. He had worked 3 months straight @ $1200 a day, which turned out to be quite a profitable exercise for him.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Yeah no thanks. How do you keep your sanity? When I was in my early 20's I maybe could have done it, but now in my mid 30's I couldn't be farked. I'm starting to hate fifo camp life. I'm stuck in the office at the moment as there isn't much to do but am looking for a residential mining ops role, mon to fri sort of thing.
it's not that much harder than pulling a 2 or 3 weeker. It's only the first couple of days and last couple of days when you get itchy feet. I'd usually look at the extra time away in a non-drinking environment as a challenge/opportunity to hit the gym every night and try and get me some abs.

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
The drill & blast guys sometimes video the blasts if they are trying out something different but that's about it.

I have a perverse/unhealthy desire to see a highwall fail. Not to be underneath it of course or see anyone hurt/killed, but close enough to nearly shit yourself. Seen videos of some failures but yeah, to be there would be something else.
Head to Mt Keith Nickel.. I was there for 4 years (initially blast hole driller, then started my current career in HSE before bouncing out of mining and into oil & gas) .. No shortage of slips there! (one of which resulted in a fatality, sadly)

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Ive got a couple of pics around from blasts at FMGs solomom mine site that we snapped during construction. Have to be over 1km from the blast but still fugging cool. Will have to dig them up

Staunch

Eats Squid
Don't think I can top Theo's but still, here goes

6:50 - Wake up to my fucking annoying alarm, slap the snooze button a few times
7ish - Check facebook, see what fuckery awaits me today
7something - Get up, fight my brother for the last of the milk, he's tiny so it's not much of a contest, alpha dog prevails again
7:30 - Have a shower, crack the shits multiple times about the water changing pressure, shitty tiny gas line
8:01 - Sprint for the bus, put earphones in, blast punk/metal/hardcore to drown out all the other shit humans
8:07 - Get sat next to by smelly old fucks even though there are plenty of other free seats
8:18 - Repeat on tram
8:59 - Walk into lecture, catch to mates, proceed to pull out phone
9-11 - Proceed to Snapchat and FB away the boredom with occasional listening to what's going on. Failing that just send the worst pick-up lines/opening lines I can on Tinder and screenshot hilarious results
11:10 - Repeat 9-11 outside of lecture except with shit-talking with mates included now
12:15 - Fuck yeah Subway for lunch
1 - Go to lab/prac class, make myself dizzy on the spinny chairs, joke about ingesting chemicals, repress the temptation to burn my pen/pencil/paper/anything in arm's reach. Answer some questions maybe.
3-4 - Repeat 8-9, more junkies this time though.
4 - Eat whatever is still left in my house
4:30-7 - Blast tunes and slowly increase the hatred my neighbours have for me. Actually do some study, not paying a dickload a year to fail
7ish - Dinner
8 - 9:30 - Shitpost on FB, compare Tinder screenshots with mates, have a laugh, Youtube dumb shit, generally waste my youth on the internet
9:45 - Find dumb threads like this. Ignore for a while. Proceed to post anyway
10 - Go out to my garage and pick up and put down heavy steel things for a while. Work out general discontent with the world. Try not to blow out my back/shoulder.
11:30 - Eat again, parents utterly confused/frustrated at the quantity of food I ingest on a daily basis
12:30 - Finally get to bed, hate myself for having to wake up in ~6 hours, swear tomorrow night will be different.

Sad as it is that's probably 90% true for most of my weekdays.

DJR

Likes Dirt
12am - 6PM ... who cares. Something about work, travel to/from work.
6PM-8PM ... family dinner and get kids to bed at some point with a story (current is charlie and the choc factory, good read that one)
8PM - 10PM - either get fun time with the wife, watch something, listen to tunes or go for a ride. Happy times.
10PM-12PM ... who cares.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Head to Mt Keith Nickel.. I was there for 4 years (initially blast hole driller, then started my current career in HSE before bouncing out of mining and into oil & gas) .. No shortage of slips there! (one of which resulted in a fatality, sadly)
I have heard the same too about Mt Keith - a few of the guys that work with us are ex Mt Keith.

Ive got a couple of pics around from blasts at FMGs solomom mine site that we snapped during construction. Have to be over 1km from the blast but still fugging cool. Will have to dig them up
Did a stint at Solomon, just starting to ramp up in Firetail and were about to kick off Kings.

The overland conveyor road was impressive, with awesome views too. I remember walking it for the first time and being astounded by the views. The grade control lab was down there off to the right. What a great spot for the office.

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Yeah it was a cool place to explore. I was there for about 14 months from just after the start of firetail right through to the commissioning of kings valley

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
A typical day for me:

7:30 - wake up, have a shower and have brekky, standing in the kitchen if I'm in a hurry or sitting out on the verandah if its nice outside.
8:30 - check news, forums, email, facebook, etc.
9:30 - drive to uni. Try and find a park and then walk to campus in time for class.
10:00 - 2hr lecture on either the Pacific Islands, Anthropology of the built environment or Phenomenology.
12:00 - grab a coffee and head to the library to study, eat the sandwich I made in the morning.
12:30 - read journal articles, plan research, do tute work in the library or computer lab.
2:00 - change research ideas
3:00 - think about moving down the coast and living by the beach, fishing, surfing, riding, no traffic, cheaper, just do any sort of job.
4:00 - go to the tute, try and participate. Roll my eyes at the people who won't shut up.
5:00 - Head back to the car and go home, or, if traffic looks bad, go get something to snack on and meet up with friends/study in the library
5:30-6:00 - get home depending on traffic. Raid the pantry.
6:00 - go to the shops and get stuff for dinner if its my turn to cook, or if one of my housemates are cooking, watch Scrubs, The League, or some TV series, or go for a ride every 2nd or 3rd night probably).
6:30 - make dinner or read more stuff for uni (probably read about 40-50 pages of academic journals per day), work on assignments.
7:30 - dinner and hang out with housemates on the verandah
8:30 - tinker in the shed on bikes or the car
10:00 - more uni work, cuppa and toast for supper
11:00 - do physio stretches and tell myself I should go to bed, but keep checking facebook and email, watching youtube
12:00 - actually go to bed to sleep

Repeat 3 days a week.

On work days:
Start at 9:00 usually
Drive to first clients place, I work with elderly or disabled people at the moment, so help them clean their house, take them shopping/do their shopping or take them to appointments for 1.5-2hrs each, have a cuppa and chat, listen to the same stories they told me last week, but smile and nod anyway, go to next client, repeat until 4:00 or 5:00, drive home. Or if I finish early, go home them go for a long ride around Sydney Olympic Park.