A little bit of advice please

sc.

Likes Dirt
I've just bought myself a new frame, a Honzo ST and some Fox 34s, which I 'd like to build up using some parts off my current bike. It's a Haro Mary that a mate built with some pretty good bits on it, XT M8000 brakes, XT 1x11, cranks etc. Anyway the wheels on the Haro are FSA K Force, light carbon things that feel great to ride on and seem pretty tough, but won't fit without getting them rebuilt with new boost hubs. Am I better off selling them and buying a new suitable wheelset or getting them rebuilt to suit? I haven't built a bike before, apart from BMX's as a kid a long time ago, so any advice is appreciated. Do I take it all to a shop to build or have a go at it myself? Any special tools needed to put a bike like this together properly?
Pics below just because who doesn't like pics :)
8DDD2482-8654-42A3-92F4-477A4A0B5518.JPG
E15412A0-3C7D-478D-BB93-28C3CFE81B76.JPG

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If your mate that build the hero is skilled enough to help build it yourself. It's fun and rewarding.

I'd sell the wheels and buy new ones. Wheel building labour has been pretty expensive in my experience.

Reactions: sc.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'd sell the wheels and buy new ones. Wheel building labour has been pretty expensive in my experience.
When you want to impress your SO then you build some wheels. If they mess up then you also know who to blame.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personally, I'd just buy some boost adaptors and get riding.

The Honzo frame is very nice indeed. It's quite possible to build it up but you want tools, time and experience. This being a hardtail makes it a little easier. You definitely want to use a headset press for any bearing cups.

Good luck and take your time! :^)

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
...where a re my parachute pants.... I'm sure I stashed them in my bottom drawer way at the back...

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Fuckin mint.
Johnny’s thread made me so happy, all that bullshit just for “and fuck it, I gave it a whack and now it’s in”.

That kona’s gonna also be fuckin mint @sc. when it’s all built up and done! Agreed with the above, have a go ya mug.

Are the cranks boost aswell? Different chainline I’m pretty sure. Although I think you might be able to space out the chainring. @The Duckmeister can you confirm any of that please mate? Except the hammer part, the pro hammer crew have won that argument thanks to johnny.

When you want to impress your SO then you build some wheels. If they mess up then you also know who to blame.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
“Hey honey! Look how far I launched this envy POS after I messed up my spoke pattern for the 5th time”. Frustrating AF! Building wheels is something I just pay others to do now, I’m normally a pretty patient dude but damn.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have built wheels and a year or so ago had a new hub put in the Muru front wheel when I had to change forks. Doable but not the most cost effective option when you factor hubs, spokes and labour.

I would grab new wheels and anything that is specific to the new frame like cranks etc to maintain chainline. Keep all the old parts and pick up a cheap donor and rebuild the first bike for a commuter etc when you dont need the new beastie. N + 1!

sc.

Likes Dirt
Fuckin mint.
Johnny’s thread made me so happy, all that bullshit just for “and fuck it, I gave it a whack and now it’s in”.

That kona’s gonna also be fuckin mint @sc. when it’s all built up and done! Agreed with the above, have a go ya mug.

Are the cranks boost aswell? Different chainline I’m pretty sure. Although I think you might be able to space out the chainring. @The Duckmeister can you confirm any of that please mate? Except the hammer part, the pro hammer crew have won that argument thanks to johnny.

“Hey honey! Look how far I launched this envy POS after I messed up my spoke pattern for the 5th time”. Frustrating AF! Building wheels is something I just pay others to do now, I’m normally a pretty patient dude but damn.

I measured the bottom bracket and they're the same on both bikes but forgot about chainline. I guess I need new cranks as well then if no spacer is available?
Hammer seems like a sensible option to me, I have plenty of those lying around.

Cheers for the advice.

Last edited: