A science nerd thread.

Patchers

Likes Bikes
I'm sure many people have already told you this but the 2nd year low spot you're in is completely normal and it's very common in both Sci and Eng. I know my lowest grades are 2nd year 1st semester. Most people say the subjects were hard and lectures were dickheads but I kinda disagree. It was more that we had to start doing things the proper way. What I mean by that is that at 2nd year you have to start thinking, writing and processing information the way a scientist is supposted to. All those things you didn't think you signed up for like Lab reports, literature reviews, calculations, proofs and journal/article gathering are essential skills which all scientests need to perform in their job well.

That's the key here, to perform a scientists job well.

No longer are you learning just for your own enjoyment and curiosity (i.e. high school science subjects/wikipedia) but you're learning how to use your knowledge and thinking power to produce significant work which will benefit your boss/your company/your university/socioty/technology and yourself. To do so you have to learn those boring skill which you didn't sign up for. That's just how it works.

After second year, you get the basics of those skills and most importantly what you need to achieve. After third year you refine those skills and 4th year or honours your laughing. That's why people say after second year it gets easier.

In terms of job prospects the only advice i can give is talk. Talk to EVERYONE. The more people you talk to the better. It's a subject which no one wants to start talking about but everyone has a story to tell.

My path BE (Materials), Bsc (Chemisty) -> Solar Cell research (Vacwork) -> Titanium alloy reserach (FYP) -> Vac work in oil and gas industry -> About to start program in oil and gas industry

Cheers for the advice guys. I really appreciate it. When I stop thinking about it, I always end up wanting to continue with geology so it might just be worth my while to stick it out. I'm halfway there afterall.

bikeyoulongtime - You've hit the nail on the head. I've spent the past 4/5 weeks with my head in a microscope analysing microfossils and now I'm up to writing the report. It's not fun. We take quite a few field trips which I enjoy immensly and help to understand concepts that are hard to grasp in the classroom, but they all reslut in the usual slog through report writing.

Patchers - Thanks mate. I see where you're coming from here and it makes sense. Everythging is more advanced than what I'm used to and you just have to understand it all but, once you do, it becomes easier down the track. Which again, makes it probably worth my whilse sticking with geology.

Xavo - I assume its the same at all unis but at UB, we do three core subjects we have to pass (so if we fail, we do it again) and one elective, which could be anything but is usually one related to the course. Although in first year it was two core and two electives. For us, and again I asusme for you, if you fail an elective, you can do another one to get the pints necessary. Also, if you need help with your geo stuff, give me a yell and I can try to help. Although it seems you've got that one sorted.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Xavo - I assume its the same at all unis but at UB, we do three core subjects we have to pass (so if we fail, we do it again) and one elective, which could be anything but is usually one related to the course. Although in first year it was two core and two electives. For us, and again I asusme for you, if you fail an elective, you can do another one to get the pints necessary. Also, if you need help with your geo stuff, give me a yell and I can try to help. Although it seems you've got that one sorted.
Yeah sweet mate, here there's just one compulsory subject for Science and thats not going too well either (but not disastrously if I pull off the final exam). I shouldn't have picked the other one, it was just a slot for an elective that I thought might be useful but it turned out to be a shitfest full of maths and python coding... If I'd wanted to do maths, I would've done a maths course and if I'd wanted to do python I'd be a software engineer.

Always next semester to work on my GPA :/

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
patchers - bang on!
xavo - just about everything turns into a shitfest of maths and coding :/
for those about to rock - what patchers said, and have fun!

I must say, these assignments are killing me! On other news though, is anyone going to be watching the transit of Venus next Tuesday? I think it's Tuesday. It's the 6th regardless...

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
From http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...-north-carolina-to-stick-its-head-in-the-sand

Sea Level Bill Would Allow North Carolina to Stick Its Head in the Sand

A bill moving through the state legislature would allow developers to ignore sea level predictions based on global warming

By SETH CLINE
June 1, 2012 RSS Feed Print

Wading into the turbulent debate over global warming, North Carolina's state legislature is considering a bill that would require the government to ignore new reports of rising sea levels and predictions of ocean and climate scientists.

Business interests along the state's coastline pushed lawmakers to include language in a law that would require future sea level estimates to be based only on data from past years. New evidence, especially on sea level rise that could be tied to global warming, would not be factored into the state's development plans for the coast.

[Poll: Republicans Coming Around on Global Warming]

"We're skeptical of the rising sea level science," says Tom Thompson, chairman of NC-20, an economic development group representing the state's 20 coastal counties. "Our concern is that the economy could be tremendously impacted by a hypothetical number with nothing but computers and speculation."

That 'hypothetical number' came from the state’s Coastal Resources Commission, which recommended planning around a 39-inch rise in sea level by 2100. At the behest of NC-20 and coastal governments, the commission decided to remove the number from its policy entirely.

"Originally we did have the 39-inch recommendation, but the commission chose to remove that," says Michele Walker, spokeswoman for the North Carolina Coastal Resources Commission. "We got a lot of pushback from coastal governments and groups who were concerned that would hurt their ability to develop in their communities."

The bill is still in its early stages, but the section stirring up controversy states:

"These rates shall only be determined using historical data, and these data shall be limited to the time period following the year 1900. Rates of seas-level rise may be extrapolated linearly…"

The parts about using only historical data, which shows a slow, linear sea-level rise—not the faster increases associated with global warming—have drawn the most ire from scientists.

"Cleary they don't understand science at all – (sea level rise) hasn't been linear," says Stan Riggs, a professor at East Carolina University who is an expert on the state's coastline. "To put blinders on and just say we don't accept what's happening on our coast is absolutely criminal."

"But the people that live out there that aren't developers are all on board. It's the managers and developers who want to keep the status quo. They're making a lot of money off of it," Riggs added.
Oh dear...

This actually sets a solid precedent. Considering science is generally so unreliable, we should outright ban use of new data. We simply need to adjust reality to fit the old data.

Last edited:

Cypher

Likes Dirt
I must say, these assignments are killing me! On other news though, is anyone going to be watching the transit of Venus next Tuesday? I think it's Tuesday. It's the 6th regardless...
Yep. I'll be taking my baby too - he might just be around to see the next one :)

Oh and it is on Wednesday and hopefully the weather will be good :distrust:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Apparently one of the worlds most delicious species.... Gooone.

Mind you I get all my scientific knowledge from comedy shows
[video=youtube;DsWX8JtQrPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsWX8JtQrPU[/video]

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Sad day for biodiversity as another species goes the way of the dodo with the death of lonesome George:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-18574279
I read that one early, they gave George some nice younger lady turtles to pique his interest in mating, which he had no interest in. I figure he was either a turtle with homosexual tendencies, too old to get it up or he was a racist - as the female turtles were close to but not his species.

maybe they should have given him a large leather shoe - anything to save a species.?

[video=youtube;6R3BYCT5oWw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R3BYCT5oWw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R3BYCT5oWw[/video]

Last edited:

thecat

I'm surprised there has been nothing about the the potential Higgs Boson discovery

Any particle physicists out there?

The findings of a particle at around 125 GeV certainly looks good for the standard model and particularly bad for supersymmetry, which I think gave predictions of under 90GeV.

So will the Standard model reign supreme? Is there still a need to arbitrarily select certain parameters to get it to work?

Is M thoery and String theory dead in the water? I read some where that string theory could predict Higgs Boson at around 135GeV ...

anyway it's all a little over my head but interested to see nerdy rotorburners thoughts

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not quite particle physics.

String theory was always pretty interesting, from the little we touched on in highschool - but yeah if this particle is discovered then it pretty much confirms it (well as much as you can anyway).

thecat

I'm surprised there has been nothing about the the potential Higgs Boson discovery

Any particle physicists out there?

The findings of a particle at around 125 GeV certainly looks good for the standard model and particularly bad for supersymmetry, which I think gave predictions of under 90GeV.

So will the Standard model reign supreme? Is there still a need to arbitrarily select certain parameters to get it to work?

Is M thoery and String theory dead in the water? I read some where that string theory could predict Higgs Boson at around 135GeV ...

anyway it's all a little over my head but interested to see nerdy rotorburners thoughts
Nice little story on Catylist tonight about the discovery and basic implications

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3608446.htm