A science nerd thread.

Bermshot

Banned
That is just fantastic. I observed the rocket engine at The Power House, Syd for those that don't know. I thought it looked nothing more than a big truck turbo (Just the turbo). Well it's only a test F-1 engine on loan to the PHM

The pic the PHM does not justify (that I could find) so I Present! A clean, fresh F-1

Strap this to your Hyundais bitches

Last edited:

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is just fantastic. I observed the rocket engine at The Power House, Syd for those that don't know. I thought it looked nothing more than a big truck turbo (Just the turbo). Well it's only a test F-1 engine on loan to the PHM

The pic the PHM does not justify (that I could find) so I Present! A clean, fresh F-1

Strap this to your Hyundais bitches
Meh, one on each Rollerblade would be more like it

My stoopid question is this:

Reading about the autoimmune disease MS yesterday and the paper made reference to experimental Mice that were treated for MS with emerging pharmaceuticals. My question is how do the researchers find Mice with MS? Do they 'infect' healthy Mice with MS and then introduce the treatment regime or do they breed lots of Mice and test them all until they find a Mouse suffering from MS?
Thing is, if they can infect the Mice with MS, then surely they can develop a vaccine to immunise the Mice from MS and thus begin clinical trials on Humans (or Pigs). If you have the ability to introduce a disease into an organism, then surely there must be sufficient knowledge about that organism to keep it alive whilst being introduced and therefore sufficient knowledge to eradicate the MS organism?

Last edited:

Arete

Likes Dirt
Meh, one on each Rollerblade would be more like it

My stoopid question is this:

Reading about the autoimmune disease MS yesterday and the paper made reference to experimental Mice that were treated for MS with emerging pharmaceuticals. My question is how do the researchers find Mice with MS? Do they 'infect' healthy Mice with MS and then introduce the treatment regime or do they breed lots of Mice and test them all until they find a Mouse suffering from MS?
Thing is, if they can infect the Mice with MS, then surely they can develop a vaccine to immunise the Mice from MS and thus begin clinical trials on Humans (or Pigs). If you have the ability to introduce a disease into an organism, then surely there must be sufficient knowledge about that organism to keep it alive whilst being introduced and therefore sufficient knowledge to eradicate the MS organism?
MS is an autoimmune disease caused by the patient's own immune system attacking the nervous system and causing inflammation rather than a pathogen. Thus a traditional vaccine you'd use to immunize against a pathogen caused disease (like measles) will not work for MS.
In mice MS is modelled by introducing certain proteins into the mouse which cause chronic CNS inflammation - it's a model for MS rather than the actual presentation of the disease itself as the true cause of MS onset in humans is both unknown and probably not the same in every case - you can't "cure" an autoimmune disease like you would a pathogen caused illness because the cause is the body itself.
Scientists can test treatments which reduce the CNS inflammation in the mice - and gauge the likelihood that they would be similarly effective in treating MS in humans.

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
Just watched the landing of the final Space Shuttle mission. It was rad. Heres a great video of the final launch. Some amazing camera angles! 17 mins but well worth the watch.:)

[video]http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?media_id=102186381[/video]

jackmac91

Likes Dirt
Speaking of the shuttle, who ran out side to see it fly over for the last time the other night? I'm not 100% sure but I think both the shuttle and the station where visible for a few mins, one behind the other untill they both passed into the shadow of the earth.

Just watched the landing of the final Space Shuttle mission. It was rad. Heres a great video of the final launch. Some amazing camera angles! 17 mins but well worth the watch.:)
If you liked that you have to, and I mean HAVE to, watch this:

[video=youtube;vFwqZ4qAUkE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFwqZ4qAUkE[/video]

EDIT: I just found this photo.

Quite a number of people saw Atlantis landing for the final time from the ground. Luckily, for us, there were a select handful lucky enough to see it from where it had just left, space.

Last edited:

Arete

Likes Dirt
Totally kicked Africa's arse

Latest issue of Science:

Every 6 years, when the International Botanical Congress meets, it tackles a backlog of problems related to the naming of plants. At the Congress in Melbourne, Australia, in July, one longstanding debate finally got closure: who gets the acacia.

To two different continents, the acacia is more than just a tree—it's an icon: the flat-topped thorn trees silhouetted against a red African sky; the golden wattle of Australia, whose green and gold colors inspire the garb of the country's Olympic athletes. For hundreds of years, since Swedish botanist Carl Linnaeus first described the type species of the genus Acacia in Africa in 1773, both continents could lay claim to acacia trees. But in the past 30 years, anatomical and genetic analyses demonstrated that Australian and African acacias do not belong in the same genus at all.

So which trees—Australian or African—should be known as actual Acacia? Africa has prior claim since the first type species, Acacia nilotica, was found there, but Australia has the overwhelming majority of species: more than 1000, compared with Africa's 80. The issue was seemingly resolved at the 2005 botanical congress in Vienna, when the delegates decided that the acacia would belong to Australia. But another 6 years of debate ensued.

The debate drew to a close when delegates to the 2011 botanical congress voted to uphold the 2005 decision. Australia's acacias will retain the genus name, and the new type species will be the Australian Acacia penninervis. African species would be assigned to the genus Vachellia.

“This closes a difficult chapter in international botany,” says Kevin Thiele, a botanist from the Western Australian Herbarium in Kensington. “The vote was very clear and supported by a cross-section of the international community, not just Australians.”

Most people avert their eyes from the sun, I can't for the life of me figure out why...

http://www.astrophoto.com.mx/upload/2011/08/22/pwg_high/20110822191336-1ad76cf5.jpg *

That and I am really enjoying an assignment I've got for uni at the moment. It requires us to locate fossil localities, retrieve specimens then talk about the rocks where we found them and name the fossil to its taxa. It sounds nerdy, hence why I have posted it in here, but I am finding it really cool to just go out into the bush and come home with a millions of years old organism.

* I was going to post the pic, but it's a tad on the large side. However, do yourself a favour and click on it.

brodie_rider

Likes Dirt
Oh crap, its UAC time.

I have a couple of things in mind, but my top two picks are along the lines of Bachelor of Science (nanotechnology) at UTS and Bachelor of Science (nuclear science and technology) at UOW. Can't really decide which one I want to put first.

Wondering if any Rotorburners have any experience with these courses of perhaps in this field in regards to either difficulty or potential jobs or just anything really?

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Oh crap, its UAC time.

I have a couple of things in mind, but my top two picks are along the lines of Bachelor of Science (nanotechnology) at UTS and Bachelor of Science (nuclear science and technology) at UOW. Can't really decide which one I want to put first.

Wondering if any Rotorburners have any experience with these courses of perhaps in this field in regards to either difficulty or potential jobs or just anything really?
What ever you do, just don't fart arse around in your first year at Uni!!!Snout to the grindstone! Get the basics down, doesnt matter what science you move into, first year is basically the same for all science...

We started in Physics changed uni's got a biotech degree and now run a Protein Expression Biotechnology Lab at a University....so, pig suggests you just don't f*ck up your first year... you'll find your groove and slide right into it...

if, you don't bork the first year.... you'll be cruising.

S

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What ever you do, just don't fart arse around in your first year at Uni!!!Snout to the grindstone! Get the basics down, doesnt matter what science you move into, first year is basically the same for all science...
+1.

Ten Chars.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Synthesised cannabinoids

This is borderline science/general interest.

What does everyone think about the use of synthesised cannabinoids, for example kronic, k2 or Spice? It's already been banned in SA and WA and is probably going to be all of Australia soon.

The negative effects of cannabis are negligable and there seems to be no research into the actual effects of these drugs; yet there being banned for what ever reason.

I've been trying to find anything saying why synthesised cannabinoids are problematic but there's really nothing solid.

This is an interview with the guy who was responsible for the creation of most of the synthesised cannabinoids
http://cenblog.org/terra-sigillata/...-huffman-interviewed-on-regional-npr-program/

Wiki for a bit of general information
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_cannabis

How does everyone here feel about having discussions about philosophy, ethics and similar topics? It would be fun to get a philosophical debate going.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
The negative effects of cannabis are negligable and there seems to be no research into the actual effects of these drugs; yet there being banned for what ever reason.
i'd have to argue that point from a personal experience position, and also from what i was taught when i did an aged care nursing course and the drug & alcohol component of my Welfare certs a few years back.

i married a man who had been a pot smoker for 25 years before i met him. he was about 13 years older than me with the emotional maturity of the nineteen year old he had been when he took up the habit. needless to say i raised an adult child along with my children...it was horrendous. just recently, i've dated a man who (i've just recently found out) has been a chronic pot smoker since age 15. he's 35 now and still doing what he was doing back then, partying hard and has never been able to hold down a job or a relationship. our six-month relationship was an emotional rollercoaster that descended into him verbally abusing and physically threatening me a few times before i cut the cord.

we were told in class that if one uses a substance, any substance, more than three times a week regularly, that your emotional development stops at that point. which means when you stop, you have to catch up. i can personally vouch for how hard it is to be around someone doing that catchup.

Australia is apparently also now seeing 50-something baby boomers going into full-time nursing home care with a syndrome similar to Korsakoff's syndrome - alcohol-induced dementia - from chronic pot use. and i have acquaintances who have never stopped the habit, and are now in their forties. lights are on, but nobody's home. that's besides how much their substance abuse has aged them.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For anyone who has the time and interest, this article has critical review of the research literature concerning the biological and psychological effects of cannabis.

http://www.ukcia.org/research/ReviewOfResearchLiteratureConcerningEffectsOfCannabis.php

My opinion is that 50% of pot smokers end up dead shits and the other 50% function normally. Like any drug it's effects are subjective to a persons physiology, state of mind, etc. And also like most drugs, if you abuse it, you will see negative effects. I'm sorry to here that you've had many bad life experiences related to drugs.

My opinion of drugs is;

humans have evolved using drugs for thousands of years and will continue to use them for thousands into the future. Why do governments continually try prohibition when it is quite obviously not working. If we really want to deal with the drug "problem" them decriminalise certain drugs and follow it up with harm reduction policies and other such initiatives. Support these people with an addiction, don't prosecute them.