ABC's 7:30 Report on Cruelty to Animals

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
To be honest, I thought it was a pretty weak segment. I don't agree with the way the sheep are treated in the footage, but at the same time, it's hardly our place to tell the community how they should practice their cultural beliefs.

taibo

Eats Squid
i agree that it's not our place to comment/judge other people's beliefs, but this is just plain cruelty. There is absolutely nothing right about it from anypoint of view.

darsh

Likes Dirt
It really was only a glimpse of what goes on
check out animalsaustralia.com for more info

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
To be honest, I thought it was a pretty weak segment. I don't agree with the way the sheep are treated in the footage, but at the same time, it's hardly our place to tell the community how they should practice their cultural beliefs.
As stated in the segment it has nothing to do with cultural beliefs and practices.

Likes Dirt
i agree that it's not our place to comment/judge other people's beliefs, but this is just plain cruelty. There is absolutely nothing right about it from anypoint of view.
its not that bad mate, sheep are draged out of yards on their asses to be sheared every day , i have done it hundreds of times its not cruel, the thought has never even crossed my mind. Either is tieing their legs like that. I have seen alot worse happen on our end then in that video.

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, it is. Have all the cultural shenanigans that you want, as long as they don't negatively effect other living things. I'm not an ideologist or some PETA extremist, but unnecessary cruelty to animals is not acceptable, regardless of what cultural or religious beliefs are involved. The live export of these animals is one thing, but their treatment at the hands of the barbarians at the other end is deplorable.

There's a very simple fix - tell them to up their game, or we won't send them any more sheep. They won't be able to get them from anywhere else, so they will have no choice but to self-implement these regulations.

I work with animals on a professional level and it is quite easy to see which countries view animals as an object, and those that view them for what they are - pain feeling beings. We do a lot of work with international students and it is just so evident.

RCOH

Eats Squid
I worked on that story - you should have seen the vision we weren't allowed to broadcast.

taibo

Eats Squid
I worked on that story - you should have seen the vision we weren't allowed to broadcast.
That sux! I think people really need to see all the footage and what really happens to these poor helpless animals! Maybe then society can start to understand the situation better and change their ways...:(

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Damn right. The treatment of any animal in this fashion is simply disgusting. I have been following the exportation of livestock from Australia for some time now and nothing much has changed - we need to lobby the gov for the processing to occur in Australia, thus controlling the processing of the livestock.

For me, its not the killing that makes me angry, but the total lack of respect for the animal. Binding their legs, pushing them over, throwing them in the boot.. fucking stone age these people. This is a religious practice of which im sure their god is not impressed.

floody

Wheel size expert
Halal practice doesn't stipulate transporting a number of sheep in the boot of a 190E Benz, hogtying them with wire, or dragging them around on their back.

Its cultural only so far as ingrained animal cruelty is accepted practice. Its not cultural in the sense of belief systems or custom.

riderseventy7

Likes Dirt
i agree that it's not our place to comment/judge other people's beliefs,
What I'm going to say here has not much to do with animal cruelty (which I abhor), but...

Don't go humouring people by treating their delusions with kid gloves. If someone said to you that there was an invisble dragon in their backyard that spoke to them you would think they were a complete nutter, and rightly so. They would have absolute faith in their imaginary dragon because you couldn't disprove it*, however the fact is this person is deluded. Why is religion any different? because more than 1 person believes it? If that's the case a lot of conspiracy theories must be allowed to carry the same weight. It is madness to be expected to respect the belief of another if you consider it illogical, irrational, ignorant, hypocritical and just plain stupid. Of course don't deny a person their right to believe what they want, but don't automatically expect those beliefs to be respected and not be judged.

Don't interperate what I'm saying as a call to go out and attack peoples views, most people that hold these views are lovely people. All I'm saying is forget the PC crap ie, If someone comes up and says "G'day, it's looking like it'll be a good turn out at the church, mosque, whatever on the weekend. You should come along to hear what we have to say." just be honest with them. Instead of sheepishly saying "Yeah, righto mate. Maybe I'll see you there." tell them straight up "Nah, I don't think so mate. Not because I don't like you or anything, I just find your beliefs in this instance laughable."

*You actually could, but it's a quick easy comparison.