About Time! (Fox 180 sc inside)

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmmmmm, maybe because theyre SHIT.
Wise observation, you are wise aren't you? Have you found Nirvana and now understand all?

Have you ridden Kowa? For your information a WC racer (something tells me it was Kovaric) ran 180mm Travis Singles for a fair few races. If you get one of the technically minded posters to add their $0.02 I'm sure they'll say good things about the Manitou dampening system. Don't even get me started on Marzocchi. So, they had a bad shift from Italy to Taiwan and resultantly had a bad production year. Does that make all their previous decent years bad? No. Precious Rock Shox even had a bad production run of their 2010 Boxxers, yet you don't think they are SHIT. I could go on, but my keyboard is dying, took 20 mins to type that.

Personally I'd take Marzocchi and Rock Shox over Fox.

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why don't they bite the bullit and make a dual crown 36 as well - with the same adjustable travel (203-160) as the 40, a Ti spring , comparable weight to a Boxxer coil (Race & Team) and a price tag as close to Rock Shox as possible. Then we'd see some action - bet they'd outsell the 40 ten to one.
Umm...thats exactly what the 40 is? The 40 ways less then 200grams more then a Boxxer Race/Team

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why don't they bite the bullit and make a dual crown 36 as well - with the same adjustable travel (203-160) as the 40, a Ti spring , comparable weight to a Boxxer coil (Race & Team) and a price tag as close to Rock Shox as possible. Then we'd see some action - bet they'd outsell the 40 ten to one.
It's the same reason Fox hasn't made an XC fork to compete with the TORA. Focus is on the top end of the market.

In regards to weight, you would think this would be a bigger issue with the female riders right? Yet 4 of the top 5 Womans World Cup riders and 3 of the top 5 Womens World Champ riders, including THE world champ and world cup title winner ride on FOX 40's (and Rachel wasn't even there this year). Have you seen the size of Emmeline Ragot?? Food for thought...

floody

Wheel size expert
Is there a reason that Kowa, Manitou and Marzocchi have been left out?

Looks pretty cool. If they don't feel too rubbishy I may get one.
Might answer both posts...

"Have you ridden Kowa?" No. Nobody has. Thats why.

Manitou - because they are rubbish. Wow, a manitou sponsored racer ran sponsored manitous? Totally makes up for the suspect build, performance and reliability. For the last 10 years or so they've had many 'great on paper' ideas which just haven't translate into real world performance. As in bolt on the fork, set the dials and rip, as you can with Fox, Rockshox.

Marzocchi - Because they are rubbish. One bad production year? More like almost every year of the preceding 7 or so.

Problems with Boxxers are a blip on the radar of a workmanlike, reasonably priced fork.

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
Nice one.

Manitou started doing it back in the golden years as somewhat of a safety measure. The thought was that if the axle broke, or the lever came undone and the wheel came off the drop outs wouldn't be mangled in the resulting ground contact.

I can only assume that Fox have done the same thing to make way for their new FIT cartridge, that may need some extra room for their 'inverted' internals.
No need to be a smart ass buddy. That makes a bit of sense but still im sure its not the only reason.

ferntreekid

Likes Bikes

Manitou - because they are rubbish. Wow, a manitou sponsored racer ran sponsored manitous? Totally makes up for the suspect build, performance and reliability. For the last 10 years or so they've had many 'great on paper' ideas which just haven't translate into real world performance. As in bolt on the fork, set the dials and rip, as you can with Fox, Rockshox.

Marzocchi - Because they are rubbish. One bad production year? More like almost every year of the preceding 7 or so.

Problems with Boxxers are a blip on the radar of a workmanlike, reasonably priced fork.
Blip on the radar? that caused delays to 2010 bikes shipped with them for several months? pretty big blip if you ask me.

haven't ridden kowa, but have ridden a few different Marzocchi forks (various pre '07 888 models) and owned a set of 2006 66 SL VF2's on my SC bullit, didn't touch them the whole time i owned them, and they were by far the smoothest fork i've ever ridden.

On topic: 180mm 36s? in reality, are gonna be way too expensive for your average joe, when Van 36 RC2's come close to 2K retail...

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
Fox > Rockshox > Marzocchi > Manitou > anything else. IMO!

With Bos, X-Fusion, Kowa etc thrown in there somewhere...

Being a huge Fox fanboy, I very much look forward to hearing more about/riding these forks!

Oh, any idea on a name?

Ryan H

Likes Dirt

Actually i have no joke ridden kowas. I used to own a pair of Kowa 200si. i swapped with a friend and they felt shit. Worse than marzzochis.

kozlik9

Likes Dirt
Nice one.

Manitou started doing it back in the golden years as somewhat of a safety measure. The thought was that if the axle broke, or the lever came undone and the wheel came off the drop outs wouldn't be mangled in the resulting ground contact.
That just sounds silly. If the wheel comes out and the forks make contact with the ground at speed alot more damage is going to be done than just mangled drop outs.

I can only assume that Fox have done the same thing to make way for their new FIT cartridge, that may need some extra room for their 'inverted' internals.
Im so sure that it would not be there to make room for the FIT system because they don't do it on any for the other forks with it.

Another possible reason; it reduces A-C height so you get the extra travel without jacking up the head tube any further. Just a thought...
That is exactly right, both Manitou and Fox do it for that reason. (and others that i do not know of)

Love Todd

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is exactly right, both Manitou and Fox do it for that reason. (and others that i do not know of)

Love Todd
Then why don't all longer travel forks have the longer lowers? It's bullshit; you still need the 180mm+ stauntions, and the lowers will always be longer than that.

kozlik9

Likes Dirt
Then why don't all longer travel forks have the longer lowers? It's bullshit; you still need the 180mm+ stauntions, and the lowers will always be longer than that.
Its not that they have made the lowers longer. They have moved the axle higher up the lowers.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its not that they have made the lowers longer. They have moved the axle higher up the lowers.
wouldnt there then be issues with the tire contacting the crown?

also longer lowers allow for more stanchion, which could add to stiffness.

TALAS huh, so air?

kozlik9

Likes Dirt
wouldnt there then be issues with the tire contacting the crown?

also longer lowers allow for more stanchion, which could add to stiffness.

TALAS huh, so air?
Good point, but they could just make the crown higher.
And another good point with the stiffness.

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good point, but they could just make the crown higher.
And another good point with the stiffness.
Which would in turn require more stauntion length for the arch to clear the crown, making the whole fucking exercise completely useless.

kozlik9

Likes Dirt
Which would in turn require more stauntion length for the arch to clear the crown, making the whole fucking exercise completely useless.
Yes so true we just did a complete 360.
MMMM im going to stick with stiffness haha
anyone else got any input to this topic

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
I'm sure they will be plenty stiff enough, I haven't heard of anyone complain about the stiffness of regular 36's. Most likely not in the same region as the totems or working 66's but I'm pretty sure Fox wouldn't release a noodle to the public.

k_d

Likes Dirt
anyone else got any input to this topic
My guess is that it (as previously said above) lowers the A-C height.

With the discussion on marzocci is terrible, manitou sucks etc, make sure you have ridden at least two forks from said manufacturer as you might have just recieved a bad fork from a bad batch (this does happen you know).