accents

wombat

Lives in a hole
Anybody know the name for the accent on this a: á , in the Spanish alphabet? Or even better, what it does to the vowel?

wombat

Lives in a hole
Anybody know the name for the accent on this a: á , in the Spanish alphabet? Or even better, what it does to the vowel?

schmook

Likes Dirt
The stress in Spanish words:
this is what my Daddy says
rule 1. if a word ends in A O U E I N or S the letter next to the last syllable a stressed
eg
somBREro
rule 2. If the word ends in any letter that isnt that of above or N or S, the last syllable is stressed
eg
hoTEL
Rule 3
If its neither 1 or 2, it as an accent make
eg
áfrica

no i dont speak spanish but my dad does and he never has taught me bástárdo!

schmook

Likes Dirt
The stress in Spanish words:
this is what my Daddy says
rule 1. if a word ends in A O U E I N or S the letter next to the last syllable a stressed
eg
somBREro
rule 2. If the word ends in any letter that isnt that of above or N or S, the last syllable is stressed
eg
hoTEL
Rule 3
If its neither 1 or 2, it as an accent make
eg
áfrica

no i dont speak spanish but my dad does and he never has taught me bástárdo!

Rik

logged out
Hrm, shame I didn't read this thread before I came home tonight, I was on the train, with a very very hot spanish chick sitting opposite me.
Asking her these questions would've been an interesting way to start a conversation!

Rik

logged out
Hrm, shame I didn't read this thread before I came home tonight, I was on the train, with a very very hot spanish chick sitting opposite me.
Asking her these questions would've been an interesting way to start a conversation!

wombat

Lives in a hole
Grip said:
Wombat... I would read that as MIZ-AIR-REAR and TREE-OON-FAR-RA
Yeah, that's what I figured, but I'd hardly call myself multilingual. Nice to know I'm close though :)

wombat

Lives in a hole
Grip said:
Wombat... I would read that as MIZ-AIR-REAR and TREE-OON-FAR-RA
Yeah, that's what I figured, but I'd hardly call myself multilingual. Nice to know I'm close though :)

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Hmmm... you reckon that's scary, Bazza... well here's one back at you Shayne and just about from as far outside left field as it's possible to be..
Do you know what the Russian letters KGB actually stand for? Answer required in in both Russian (not cyrilic though "English" Russian is fine) AND English.
Your time starts... now 2.55 Sunday

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Hmmm... you reckon that's scary, Bazza... well here's one back at you Shayne and just about from as far outside left field as it's possible to be..
Do you know what the Russian letters KGB actually stand for? Answer required in in both Russian (not cyrilic though "English" Russian is fine) AND English.
Your time starts... now 2.55 Sunday