Accountability of Parole Boards....

mtb1611

Seymour
Re the case of Adrian Bayley (serial rapist and killer of Jill Meagher), why are parole boards not held accountable for releasing convicted criminals who, upon early release, continue to commit further crimes? For the vast majority of us, performing the roles for which we are employed with abject incompetence leads to severe consequences yet parole board members quite literally have blood on their hands in numerous cases, but escape unscathed....they're inexplicably immune from accountability and prosecution!

Not just a rant, it's actually a genuine question, if there's a factual explanation I'd love to know.

Minlak

custom titis
The explanation is complicated and long. In my opinion the basic desire to see good in people coupled with human rights and overcrowded penal system means people get the benefit of the doubt. The system is designed that guilty people go free so innocent people don't go to prison. People base other people's actions and beliefs on their own. Criminals assume other people are criminals etc...

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Same goes for the guy that murdered that teenage girl recently.

History of violence and sexual assaults, yet allowed out and we saw the result.

Parole boards are a bunch of bleeding heart hippies these days and seem to be unable to grasp the fact that not everyone can be rehabilitated, and not everyone deserves a second chance.

It's usually innocent people who pay for the mistakes of these boards.

Make a rule that if someone they parole commits a crime, the have to serve the punishment of the offender between them. Then see how many violent sexual predators are deemed 'rehabilitated'.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They may well be, but the telegraph and wider population may not be pleased with the outcome...the whole issue would hinge on the decision making process. Was it good or bad? The end result (in this case a terrible crime) is probably irrelevant to the process as they don't have a crystal ball. They have history to base their decision on and would look at that in relation to some kind of decision making model or matrix.

But yeah it bites the bags when bad people get out and do more bad things.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Same goes for the guy that murdered that teenage girl recently.

History of violence and sexual assaults, yet allowed out and we saw the result.

Parole boards are a bunch of bleeding heart hippies these days and seem to be unable to grasp the fact that not everyone can be rehabilitated, and not everyone deserves a second chance.

It's usually innocent people who pay for the mistakes of these boards.

Make a rule that if someone they parole commits a crime, the have to serve the punishment of the offender between them. Then see how many violent sexual predators are deemed 'rehabilitated'.
Once upon a time those people were gelded.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Re the case of Adrian Bayley (serial rapist and killer of Jill Meagher), why are parole boards not held accountable for releasing convicted criminals who, upon early release, continue to commit further crimes? For the vast majority of us, performing the roles for which we are employed with abject incompetence leads to severe consequences yet parole board members quite literally have blood on their hands in numerous cases, but escape unscathed....they're inexplicably immune from accountability and prosecution!

Not just a rant, it's actually a genuine question, if there's a factual explanation I'd love to know.
"Quite literally have blood on their hands" - whose blood? Their own, did they cut themselves on a kitchen knife, and what does them quite literally having blood on their hands have to do with your topic?

The question to your topic, how do you know they are not accountable?

It's hardly surprising they aren't open to prosecution, a mistake in your job I bet doesn't cause the plod to come round and arrest you, now does it -

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
"Quite literally have blood on their hands" - whose blood? Their own, did they cut themselves on a kitchen knife, and what does them quite literally having blood on their hands have to do with your topic?

It's hardly surprising they aren't open to prosecution, a mistake in your job I bet doesn't cause the plod to come round and arrest you, now does it -
Some mistakes would...

T.3

Likes Dirt

Probably not, but a mistake in his job probably doesn't lead to the rape and murder of an innocent person either.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Budget justice system $4b
Budget parole board vict $2.5m

Spaces in prison system 6300
Inmates in prison system 6300

People committing crimes and being found guilty - lots
People been given prison time must approximately equal those getting parole

To every complicated problem there is a simple answer that is wrong. Usually found on the opinion pages of the Herald Sun/ Telegraph

mtb1611

Seymour

Are these serious questions? Did you actually take the time to read my post, as your comments suggest that you didn't. What do you think "blood on their hands" refers to, do I really need to spell it out for you? Since when does accountability necessarily equate to arrest by law enforcement personnel?

As indicated by another poster, decisions made in my occupation don't have the power to determine whether someone is raped and murdered by someone who has already raped and murdered.

Clearer? :eyeroll:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is this going to turn into an epic shit storm name calling thread? I hope so! Hasn't been a good one of those for days.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Are these serious questions? Did you actually take the time to read my post, as your comments suggest that you didn't. What do you think "blood on their hands" refers to, do I really need to spell it out for you? Since when does accountability necessarily equate to arrest by law enforcement personnel?

As indicated by another poster, decisions made in my occupation don't have the power to determine whether someone is raped and murdered by someone who has already raped and murdered.

Clearer? :eyeroll:
No, they aren't serious questions, but look up what the word "literally " means

"Since when does accountability equate to arrest"? Well it doesn't, but you said in your original post "they're inexplicably immune from accountability and prosecution!"

The word "prosecution" most certainly implies the criminal law and therefore arrest is the natural course of being prosecuted. If that isn't what you meant, then perhaps don't post it.

As to your last sentence, can you give me an example of one individual who was guilty of rape and murder who subsequently raped and murdered while on parole in Victoria?

Introducing some actual facts may well advance the discussion, but shrill cries do nothing - an article for you to maybe generate some discussion based on facts.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/parole-system-flaws-revealed-in-secret-reports-20130822-2sdul.html

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Lol poodle - we need a thread manned by electricity unionists in NSW for that
Shit. Im off to vote early...do I have a nice big breakfast before, so I have something to puke? Or after because I'm going to puke..?

Our prison rules are too strict. We should be letting more criminals serve home detention. It is much fairer for evetyone and is what the community expects.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Shit. Im off to vote early...do I have a nice big breakfast before, so I have something to puke? Or after because I'm going to puke..?

Our prison rules are too strict. We should be letting more criminals serve home detention. It is much fairer for evetyone and is what the community expects.
Haha - maybe home detention with bracelets for non violent offenders and those who can't make bail would provide the room for violent offenders to be kept in for the life of their sentence.

The prison system though does use the carrot of parole as a way to encourage good behaviour inside.

I think we can always look toward the USA in these matters for examples of what not to do when it comes to crime prevention and justice

T.3

Likes Dirt
No, they aren't serious questions, but look up what the word "literally " means

"Since when does accountability equate to arrest"? Well it doesn't, but you said in your original post "they're inexplicably immune from accountability and prosecution!"

The word "prosecution" most certainly implies the criminal law and therefore arrest is the natural course of being prosecuted. If that isn't what you meant, then perhaps don't post it.

As to your last sentence, can you give me an example of one individual who was guilty of rape and murder who subsequently raped and murdered while on parole in Victoria?

Introducing some actual facts may well advance the discussion, but shrill cries do nothing - an article for you to maybe generate some discussion based on facts.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/parole-system-flaws-revealed-in-secret-reports-20130822-2sdul.html
You can be prosecuted for many things. It doesn't imply criminal law. This is your spin on the OP's post.

If you're a trades person and don't exercise safe practice whilst working you can be prosecuted by Work Cover.

If you cut down a tree without permission you can be prosecuted by council.

If your dog poops in the street and you don't pick it up you can be prosecuted by the council ranger.

If your truck blows too much smoke you can be prosecuted by the EPA.

These will not result in your arrest or a criminal record.

scblack

Leucocholic
I suppose a bit of perspective is in order here.

THOUSANDS of criminals will have been released over the years on parole. A very small few re-committed some crimes. That's a pretty damn good score rate.

I am not in any way supporting releasing hardened criminals, but the rate of bad results is pretty low.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
OK, remove "criminal" then - so prosecuted under law. It still doesn't apply to most of us (if any) - people's job doesn't generally open themselves to prosecution under the law for making a mistake, or failing to predict the future .

You open yourself to prosecution by breaking a law, not by failing in your job. The original post calls for people on the parole board to answer to a far higher standard than the rest of us, just because.

As always, it's complicated, parole boards might need more prison space, they might need more flexibility, and more financial resources. It's asinine to simply blame it on some bleeding heart liberal narrative.

Anyway, if the thread does any good, then it might make people read the odd article that's professionally written and try and understand where the problems may lie.

It is remarkable though how much more air time seems to be given when the murder is from within journalism than if it was a nobody from the western suburbs

scblack

Leucocholic
It is remarkable though how much more air time seems to be given when the murder is from within journalism than if it was a nobody from the western suburbs
Glad to see its not only me who noticed that. Do you wonder why the ABC covered the story so heavily?