[ACT] 2012 Australian Marathon Championships - Stromlo, 10th June

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
From the MTBA website, sounds exciting:

http://www.mtba.asn.au/news/1773-2012-australian-mtb-marathon-championships

The date for the 2012 Australian MTB Marathon Championships has been
set as June 10th 2012. The XCM Championships will be hosted by
Canberra Off Road Cyclists at the well known Stromlo Forest Park.

The 45km course will be take in most if not all of the now iconic
trail system in the Park. The Full marathon will take in 2 laps of the
course under the new UCI rules, while the Half marathon will do a
single lap.

On-line entry will be available on Friday 23rd March.

DuncanFG

Likes Dirt
Will many trails still be open at Stromlo this Sunday?
I'm heading up with some Melbourne crew but didn't get my entry in in time.

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
The marathon course takes in pretty much every trail Stromlo has to offer. So it might be best if you waited until much later in the day (like late afternoon) before heading out there.

You can still enter on the day, there's a $20 late fee.

Or there are heaps of other options to go riding in Canberra: Bruce Ridge at O'Connor, Majura Pines, Kowen Forest & Sparrow Hill.

TimMc

Likes Bikes
many thanks for that! We're travelling from Melbourne on Friday and hoping to get out for a reccy ride on Saturday

Anti_Trainer

Likes Dirt
Will many trails still be open at Stromlo this Sunday?
I'm heading up with some Melbourne crew but didn't get my entry in in time.
Fitzroy Boys and Girls in da house!
See youse out there in your winter woolies - I'll be in the summer gear :)

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
Be on time for presentations!

Copied from the CORC website......

Sunday - 10 June
7am-8am Registration for Marathon Championships
9.30am Marathon Championships Start Women full marathon start
10.00 am Male full marathon start
10.15 am Half marathon start
1pm Riders who have failed to complete the first lap will not be allowed to continue.
This time may be altered at the discretion of MTBA Commissares.
2pm MTBA Marathon Championships Presentations

I'm only doing a half and certainly not going to make the cut-off [3 hrs] for a second lap but I'll hopefully get to watch the presentations! It will be a rare occasion for me not to get lapped:tickled_pink:

If any of you 'quicks' can get around two laps of this one in under 4 hours [to make the 2.00pm presentation] we can rename it the Australian Sprint Championships.

johndh

Likes Dirt
Do the rules say we can use lights? If I go on my Odyssey time starting at 10.00 I might (will) need lights!!

LastMile

Likes Bikes
Do the rules say we can use lights? If I go on my Odyssey time starting at 10.00 I might (will) need lights!!
From the CORC website:

4pm Riders who have failed to enter the remaining 20km of track will not be allowed to continue. They will be diverted back to Stromlo Forest Park and Event Centre with their numbers recorded. This time may be altered at the discretion of MTBA Commissares.

akashra

Eats Squid
hah, interesting point, with Sunset being at 4:58pm.

Has that schedule been altered to factor in the modified start times? Ie, it seems that start times have, but did the presentation times also change?

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
... still in the dark?

Forecast is for a cool -4 degrees on Sunday morning. Feel bad for out-of-towners who might not be used to such a cold start ... at least it's supposed to be sunny.

Course map and elevation profile looks like this: http://app.strava.com/rides/10062876#
So LastMile, do you think you will make the presentation? I like your Strava time ..... 2.20hr was that just a cruise and have you got 20 minutes x 2 up your sleeve?

From the CORC website:

4pm Riders who have failed to enter the remaining 20km of track will not be allowed to continue. They will be diverted back to Stromlo Forest Park and Event Centre with their numbers recorded. This time may be altered at the discretion of MTBA Commissares.
johndh, I think LastMile is quicker than you and me .... even if you sneak inside the 4.00pm cut off you still have 20k and plenty of work to go.... at 12kph you could be in by 6.00pm, get a flat ...... a bit later. I'd say take a torch mate.

Last edited:

LastMile

Likes Bikes
So LastMile, do you think you will make the presentation? I like your Strava time
That not my Strava time! That belongs to Andy Blair, who's a good chance of winning the National Champs. I assume he was cruising around...

I only found that map as I was complaining to someone from CORC that no decent map of the actual course had been published, as the partial ones linked to from the website aren't ideal...I was told to check Andy's Strava site.

I doubt these presentations will be like the ones at normal mass participation events, e.g. loads of categories, sponsor give aways, etc. Most championship level events hold their presentations as soon as possible after the winners finish.

Last edited:

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
.....oops!

That not my Strava time! That belongs to Andy Blair, who's a good chance of winning the National Champs. I assume he was cruising around...

Sorry mate! I assumed you were one and the same.... if you haven't already had it yet, it might be your 15 minutes:)

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Last edited:

johndh

Likes Dirt
Just checked out the start lists 145 riders thought there would be a few more than this especially being run in Canberra. Why is that I wonder?
And yes I will remember to put a torch in.

minhtam

Squid
Just checked out the start lists 145 riders thought there would be a few more than this especially being run in Canberra. Why is that I wonder?
I didn't enter because I am not familiar with some of the tracks on the backside and their difficulty. I'm not keen on riding an unknown trail for the first time in a race...
But I'm still on the fence. Might turn up on Sunday morning after all.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Not a lot of stuff on the back is extreme. The course sections were used in the 2010 World Solo 24 so you couldn't put really gnarly stuff in that race.

tabmow

Squid
With the juniors race on saturday I'm just wondering how much of the course will be available for a practice lap.
Did it cop much rain over the last few days? Hopefully it will dry out and pack down for a super fast surface so I can average over 20km/hr to make it back for the presso!!!