Action Cameras GoPro etc etc

mapua

Likes Bikes
So I'm looking at getting a camera to record some runs and mess around with footage on and I don't know whether I should spend 500+ on a new Gopro, 50 odd on a cheap knock off, 200ish on something like the Ion Air Pro or similar or 200ish on an older 2nd hand Gopro.

Anyone got any input? Budget would allow up to 500 but do I really need to spend that much?

*edit: anyone using the tomtom Bandit? Seems to get some good write ups and is within the budget.

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
So I'm looking at getting a camera to record some runs and mess around with footage on and I don't know whether I should spend 500+ on a new Gopro, 50 odd on a cheap knock off, 200ish on something like the Ion Air Pro or similar or 200ish on an older 2nd hand Gopro.

Anyone got any input? Budget would allow up to 500 but do I really need to spend that much?

*edit: anyone using the tomtom Bandit? Seems to get some good write ups and is within the budget.
I've had a couple of GoPro's throughout the years. They are a good little piece of kit, expensive but goo quality footage from the HD versions.
I found that I nowhere near used them enough to justify their $$$ outlay.

So, cant really help you with your selection, but unless you're going to use it a lot, it's not really worth spending pretty big $$$.

What I will say is, whatever make/model you buy, budget for a stabilizing Gimbal, especially for using on a bike. The footage is 10x better to watch and might make you use the camera more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWe0HQMYH38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K73wMUtdG8o

josh_psyosphere

Likes Bikes
i Would only use GoPro nothing else come close to them don't waste your money on cheap action cams cause cheap is what you get, they might look build really well and takes good video when testing around the home, but when recording out in the field taking that dh run or trail ride that's when its lets you down poor video & sound quality and video bouncing ever where.
Best time too buy would be now as GoPro Hero 5 just came out and Hero 4 black and silver models would have a price drop

Warp

Likes Dirt
What I will say is, whatever make/model you buy, budget for a stabilizing Gimbal, especially for using on a bike. The footage is 10x better to watch and might make you use the camera more.
I went that route and got a Sony that fits my needs.

I just don't use it that often and found that you may want to use several angles in a recording anyways, so to record a 2min video you need to factor in several mounts (or even cameras) and the time to make the takes and stuff. Just sort of distracts from the riding unless you are into filming or photography.

Can you recommend a gimbal?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Don't go for a knock off, stick with the big names like GoPro, Sony, Drift, Garmin. I've had a fair few people ask me for help with their camera and each time it's been a no name rip off that doesn't work properly.
I recommend GoPro, I've had most of the models they've released and they are bloody brilliant, particularly the Session for it's size and ease of use.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Don't go for a knock off, stick with the big names like GoPro, Sony, Drift, Garmin. I've had a fair few people ask me for help with their camera and each time it's been a no name rip off that doesn't work properly.
I recommend GoPro, I've had most of the models they've released and they are bloody brilliant, particularly the Session for it's size and ease of use.
Throw contour into the mix too.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
i don't use it often, but I love the gopro session. The size is excellent for all sorts of creative things other than riding. It's easy to strap it to trees as it's so light, you barely notice it.

Also, they did that hotwheels car video using one in a hotwheels car! Also, waterproof, so can go in the pool on your wrist and film your kids, etc...

So they can be used for more than riding!

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I was looking into this not long ago...I couldn't stomach the cost for my limited use & boring life that's not that interesting....

But....almost every smart phone has an HD camera these days, so why double-up?

There are some great products around that turn your iphone into a do-it-all action cam for a fraction of the cost...

http://www.optrix.com/

http://www.hitcase.com/

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
I was looking into this not long ago...I couldn't stomach the cost for my limited use & boring life that's not that interesting....

But....almost every smart phone has an HD camera these days, so why double-up?

There are some great products around that turn your iphone into a do-it-all action cam for a fraction of the cost...

http://www.optrix.com/

http://www.hitcase.com/
That looks nice, but this is a query about ACTION cameras. Are you seriously suggesting sticking an iPhone 6Plus, with attachment, on top of your helmet?

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
That looks nice, but this is a query about ACTION cameras. Are you seriously suggesting sticking an iPhone 6Plus, with attachment, on top of your helmet?
Just don't stick it there vertically, or I'll kick it the fuck off.

(I won't really. But I'll think REALLY HARD about it!)

scblack

Leucocholic

Could you imagine riding with one vertically? - it would be like a sail. Guess it could be good if the wind was behind you.

mapua

Likes Bikes
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm thinking a while the GoPro/TomTom etc would be nice I cant really justify the price, so looks like I'm down to the Contour, Ion, SJcam or maybe a Gopro session. Will do some more research on these and see what I can come up with.

rgy1993

Likes Dirt
Agree gopro is the way to go, check out the second hand market. Most people that buy them don't even put them through that much and will still have plenty of life left.

One of my mates cheaped out and got some random branded mini action cam which constantly overheats even in the snow, can't record more than 5 minutes at a time. I paid the same amount for a second hand hero 3+ black on eBay, does 1080p 60 fps, pretty clear picture overall and works perfectly for my needs.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm thinking a while the GoPro/TomTom etc would be nice I cant really justify the price, so looks like I'm down to the Contour, Ion, SJcam or maybe a Gopro session. Will do some more research on these and see what I can come up with.
The GoPro Session is easily the pick of that list, I cannot recommend it enough, it's brilliant and very much worth the amount they charge. ;)

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got a GoPro a few years ago. As I'm not into video that much I only got the basic model (GoPro 3 white). I don't think I need the super hi-def or slo-mo, I'm not making commercial quality stuff, just capturing bits and pieces here and there. I normally record in 1080p, then convert it to 720p once edited.It's great, solid, works, good quality images and plenty of mount options. I've now got two of the same model after picking up one unused second hand.

If you go to GoPro consider the lower spec models if it's only for 'home movies'

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Chest mount is the way to go mate.

You shouldn't really attach anything (GoPro, iPhone....Fake plastic Mohawk) to your helmet anyway....because if you wipe out & the impact hits at the attachment you risk point-loading your cranium &/or creating a failure point for the helmet (yes, I'm serious, look it up regarding motorcycle helmets etc)
But go ahead, mount whatever you want to your helmet - what the fuck would I know.

I thought my suggestion might help the OP if he/she had not considered a smart phone system and might be keen to save a few $$$.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

I've got one of the Sony cameras. It films very nice footage (colour, clarity, stable, wide angle). It came with a wrist watch that allowed me to view and control the camera which is quite handy. The down side is the standard mounts are not widely compatible. None of the ones I have fit any of my helmets! One day I'll get one that does...

Say No! to vertical video. So many good fail clips ruined by it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA