Action Cameras GoPro etc etc

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
recording at 4k or 2.7k resolution at the moment wont be stable & clear as 1080p res cause of the framerate is not high enough to take super high resolutions
remember the camera is in a fixed position and with speed of your movement the framerate needs to be fast enough to keep up with the speed your traveling cause your taking in high sharpness on details.
also Hero 4 records time lapse video or time lapse photo.
I'll have another go at 1080, did a bit of messing around with all the framerate/res for the first few days, 1080/120 didn't look as good as 2.7k/60.

hakka

Likes Dirt
I'll have another go at 1080, did a bit of messing around with all the framerate/res for the first few days, 1080/120 didn't look as good as 2.7k/60.
1080/120 on the hero4black wasn't as clear as 1080/60, although the framerate doubles the data rate went from 45mbs to 60mbs. The youtuber micbergsma has a lot of videos comparing image quality at different framerates.

I'm not seeing any loss in quality with the stabilization turned on, i'm shooting at 1080/60+protune as thats my final output resolution, it gives more battery life than the higher resolutions.

Voice control is useless once your moving, it takes a lot out of your battery so turn it off.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
1080/120 on the hero4black wasn't as clear as 1080/60, although the framerate doubles the data rate went from 45mbs to 60mbs. The youtuber micbergsma has a lot of videos comparing image quality at different framerates.

I'm not seeing any loss in quality with the stabilization turned on, i'm shooting at 1080/60+protune as thats my final output resolution, it gives more battery life than the higher resolutions.

Voice control is useless once your moving, it takes a lot out of your battery so turn it off.
Yes, voice control is off, stabilisation is off and protune on.

I rendered a quick 20 second test vid at 2.7k/48, not 60, and uploaded to youtube as a test, apart from a big file, it turned out alright (cant post the link as I deleted it)

Will have a play around with 1080 in the next few days.

hakka

Likes Dirt
I picked up a hero5 session yesterday, it's a huge improvement over the original session. Image quality is on par with the hero5 black. The size and weight work really well for mounting on the bike, where my hero4 silvers used to get a bit of wobble going over the rough stuff the session doesn't move. Battery life seems really good so far too.

John U

MTB Precision
Grave dig.

Does anyone have opinions on the current crop of Gimbals available? Was wondering through JB yesterday and the Hero 7 black vision offered up, with the new stabilisation, looked pretty good. If the camera could cope with the stabilisation I imagine it would be quite a bit less bulk and hassle.

The example below is available for about $200 US. GoPro Hero 7 is about $600.

https://store.feiyu-tech.com/produc...-session-and-similar-dimensions-action-camera

I've got a Hero Session 4. I'm quite happy with that apart from the stabilisation aspect when riding. Any opinions on which way would be a goer moving forward would be ace. Is the listed gimbal a good piece of kit?

redbruce

Eats Squid
Grave dig.

Does anyone have opinions on the current crop of Gimbals available? Was wondering through JB yesterday and the Hero 7 black vision offered up, with the new stabilisation, looked pretty good. If the camera could cope with the stabilisation I imagine it would be quite a bit less bulk and hassle.

The example below is available for about $200 US. GoPro Hero 7 is about $600.

https://store.feiyu-tech.com/produc...-session-and-similar-dimensions-action-camera

I've got a Hero Session 4. I'm quite happy with that apart from the stabilisation aspect when riding. Any opinions on which way would be a goer moving forward would be ace. Is the listed gimbal a good piece of kit?
I've also been looking into getting these for my Hero Black.

Mate runs ActionSportsCameras (http://actionsportscamera.com.au/) and uses and likes the feiyu.

Brian Kennedy (BKXC) does a YouTube video review
and somewhere else he does a comparison between the Feiyu and the EVO SS.

Last edited:

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a gopro hero5 with a FeiyuTech 3 axis gimbal. The quality is brilliant compared to non stabilised footage. This is a video I did out at Mill Creek recently.

BT180

Max Pfaff
I have the Hero 5 Session and reckon the built in stabilisation is great. Get a few comments as to whether i'm using a gimbal or not. Obviously not as smooth as a gimbal, but i think those take away from the reality of the footage anyway. If the new Hero has even better stabilisation, then there's probably no need for a gimbal. Unless you want that ultra-smooth look.

John U

MTB Precision
Thanks Chris. That looks quality.

I viewed a comparison with the EVO SS vs the Fieyu WG. The Feiyu shit itself during the test. Another review rated the durability of the EVO SS very highly. It is more expensive again though.

Is the waterproofing on the Fieyu Tech something worth worrying about?

If I can get a gimbal for less than $260 looks like it'll be worthwhile, otherwise it'll be wait it out for GoPro to reduce the cost on their image stabilised cameras.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Chris. That looks quality.

I viewed a comparison with the EVO SS vs the Fieyu WG. The Feiyu shit itself during the test. Another review rated the durability of the EVO SS very highly. It is more expensive again though.

Is the waterproofing on the Fieyu Tech something worth worrying about?

If I can get a gimbal for less than $260 looks like it'll be worthwhile, otherwise it'll be wait it out for GoPro to reduce the cost on their image stabilised cameras.
Waterproof isn’t something I looked for. I wouldn’t wear it in the rain but if you did I guess it would be worthwhile.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have the Hero 5 Session and reckon the built in stabilisation is great. Get a few comments as to whether i'm using a gimbal or not. Obviously not as smooth as a gimbal, but i think those take away from the reality of the footage anyway. If the new Hero has even better stabilisation, then there's probably no need for a gimbal. Unless you want that ultra-smooth look.
I struggle to watch unstabilised footage; especially when using a chest mount. Every time the rider leans forward the footage is of the forks and the ground. In the end the footage is generally for your own enjoyment, so whatever works for you is good.

safreek

I've got one of the Sony cameras. It films very nice footage (colour, clarity, stable, wide angle). It came with a wrist watch that allowed me to view and control the camera which is quite handy. The down side is the standard mounts are not widely compatible. None of the ones I have fit any of my helmets! One day I'll get one that does...

Say No! to vertical video. So many good fail clips ruined by it.
Very cool, hipster one was top shit