ADF YOU session

FLE

Likes Dirt
so anyways im just wondering what these YOU sessions entail and what sort of questions they ask you in the phyc part as i have mine on the 3rd of june, anyone who has had some experience with these feel free to post up anything that could help.

Last edited:

mtb1611

Seymour
Google. 14,100 results. 7 seconds. Let's hope they don't ask you anything about initiative and time management.

jackmac91

Likes Dirt
mate, I very highly recommend you start researching! In order to get a good result from the YOU sesh you should know every single detail about your intended job AND your secondary jobs! (yes you need secondary options, 2 of them) they will be asking you in detail about these jobs, your medical history, your work history, your education and your reasons for joining the ADF. these guys don't fuck around and there will be plenty of other applicants. do the AFD practice tests (found on the ADF website) also look up the history of the unit your applying for.

best of luck to you:)

what are you applying for just out of interest?

bob_jane

Likes Dirt
Jack, are you sure your not thinking of the assessment day? because i had my assessment day a month ago and that was what i got quizzed on. for my YOU session i had the aptitude test which and a secondary aptitude test for the job i was applying for then i had an "interview" with someone and they asked about my motives for joining the army there were no questions about my job details etc. all that stuff is generally left for the assessment day.

In regards to the YOU session, i would recommend wearing at least a shirt and tie. I wore a full suit and was the only one wearing a full suit, most other people had smart shit and tie and a couple just wore casual clothes. In the "interview" be confident because they are writing down a lot of notes about you. Its really easy to get passed the YOU session so don't stress too much.

bob_jane

Likes Dirt
yeah thats correct haha just trying to make the guy not get worried about not knowing all about his job.

Also after your YOU session you will get an information package, study that very well because it has all the military codes of conducts in it which is needed for your assessment day. I didnt study up on those but could remember a few of them so make it easier on yourself and study up early

pocket_cup

Likes Dirt
is this for a gap year or the actual army, i applied for the gap year just the other night. any tips for future stuff? ie, interviews and what not.

bob_jane

Likes Dirt
im not sure what the deal is with the gap year because i dont think you are stuck to a particular job. maybe call up and ask?

tc2233

Likes Dirt
Someone i know was trying out in the army (forget what exactly, i think it was some type of tank)" and he was mentioning one of the questions he got asked in the phyc test.
"Are you willing to kill someone when ordered?"
Supposedly if you say "no" they most likely won't let you in.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Google. 14,100 results. 7 seconds. Let's hope they don't ask you anything about initiative and time management.
lets hope you dont ever ask a question again on rotorburn....
why dont you go around, to every single thread, asking a question, and say, "google it".. it would really increase the usefullness of this forum!! i can see how telling some one to google, also really ad's to the thread (almost more then i am adding right now)..
its a forum for christ sake, its here to get infomation from!!

btw learn to google "About 110,000 results (0.25 seconds) " more results, and faster!

i have nothing else to ad.

JDlol

Cannon Fodder
"Are you willing to kill someone when ordered?"
Supposedly if you say "no" they most likely won't let you in.
Haha.
As for your YOU session. There are 2 tests and 2 interviews,

The First test is a General Aptitude test. Its pretty much "1,2,3,4,X" whats "X", pretty general stuff. Just take your time, they look for the answers you got right, not how many you answered.

The second test is straight after the first one with an optional break. (If "nature calls")
This test is a Maths test. Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide. at the end there are some tough questions like Pythagoras and trigonometry ratios (Sin, Cos and Tan.)

Then you will be interviewed by a Nurse and a Recruitment officer,
The nurse just goes through the forms you have filled out and asks some questions about them. Be honest!

The recruitment officer will tell you if you can do the job you applyed for or other jobs that you can do from your test results. They will also ask you questions like you filled out in your Ap (sporting, Leadership) and some other questions to work out your character. Just be yourself, and try not to be a robot eg; yes, no, no, yes. expand on your answers and maybe start a conversation, this will work in your favor.

So go in there Dressed well, Confident and relaxed. you should do fine.

Last edited:

syko

Likes Dirt
did it today and i didnt score well enough on the first test to apply for officer training so im pretty bummed about that....:mad:

mtb1611

Seymour
lets hope you dont ever ask a question again on rotorburn....
why dont you go around, to every single thread, asking a question, and say, "google it".. it would really increase the usefullness of this forum!! i can see how telling some one to google, also really ad's to the thread (almost more then i am adding right now)..
its a forum for christ sake, its here to get infomation from!!

btw learn to google "About 110,000 results (0.25 seconds) " more results, and faster!

i have nothing else to ad.
Let's hope that if I do ask a question, you refrain from responding, as you clearly had nothing to add in the first place; and in your quest to highlight my shortcomings you became the very thing you set out to destroy. Bravo.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Let's hope that if I do ask a question, you refrain from responding, as you clearly had nothing to add in the first place; and in your quest to highlight my shortcomings you became the very thing you set out to destroy. Bravo.
and i even pointed it out my self!!! thanks for reassuring myself!

mtb1611

Seymour
and i even pointed it out my self!!! thanks for reassuring myself!
Hey as you said, it's a forum, we're here to help each other. If we can't ensure that we assure each other that we're all reassured, well, that wouldn't be very reassuring now, would it? :confused::)

Digressing back on track, OP, have you had the session yet? If so, how'd it go?

Huwy

Cannon Fodder
hi all was jst reading through this post on the defence force you session and was really glad to hear bout the tests, as im hoping to become an air combat officer in the raaf and the you session had me kind of stumped. I suppose my question is does dress code really matter, would i be picked or selected if i wore a suit and tie over a t shirt and jeans ? and also wat does the day really involve? any help would be excellent

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
did it today and i didnt score well enough on the first test to apply for officer training so im pretty bummed about that....:mad:
just wait 6 months the resit it, make sure you study up though.

void

Likes Bikes
I would not let that get you down.. have a read about the current Chief of the Defence Force.. he started out as an apprentice Bricklayer before becoming an officer (You cannot get any lower rank than an apprentice .. edit- Sorry Staff Cadets are lower :).

The best officers that I worked with had come up through the ranks.

void

Likes Bikes
hi all was jst reading through this post on the defence force you session and was really glad to hear bout the tests, as im hoping to become an air combat officer in the raaf and the you session had me kind of stumped. I suppose my question is does dress code really matter, would i be picked or selected if i wore a suit and tie over a t shirt and jeans ? and also wat does the day really involve? any help would be excellent
yes dress code does matter... if you can - wear at least a shirt and tie. DO NOT turn up wearing jeans and a tshirt.