Adjustable seat posts - Kind Shock vs Joplin.

Yezeeer

Squid
I'm in the same situation, what is the cheapest anyone has seen either of these seatpost for sale within Australia?.. $400 seems to be the average

petertronica

Likes Dirt
I've had my kindshock i950r for over 18 months, no issues whatsoever. I have a home-made cover that hangs behind it (but doesn't touch it) to protect it from dirt, cos it's in the direct firing line from the rear tyre.

I had the old lever style, which broke, but was replaced with the new style under warranty for free.

5 inches is good, I'm glad I didn't go with just 3.

My only gripe is that sometimes I only want to drop it half-way down, and I drop it too much, so I raise it up a bit, but too far up by mistake, and so on.

The specialized command post has 3 positions, up, halfway, and down. This is a better idea IMHO. (as long as the mid podition is where you want it). A riding buddy of mine has one, and so far so good.

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
Had the x fusion Hilo now for about two weeks. Paid $270 delivered with my LBS, the Aussie distributor are DIYMTB.

It has 100mm travel and can be stopped or held in any position within that 100mm travel. No noticeable sideways play. Comes with the lever for below the seat adjustment as well as the handle bar remote kit giving
you the choice of either.

I can't recommend it enough as it really is a great price of kit for the price in comparison to the competition. Not too sure about it's longevity given I have only had it a couple of weeks but time will tell.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I had to bleed my reverb to get it working. There is another thread on this site about reverbs and that most need bleeding from new. No big deal much easier than brakes and brakes aren't hard. Worked perfectly. Then I decided I wanted to cut the hose a little shorter to make the set up a bit neater so again had to bleed the post. Just as easy. So far it has been brilliant. No more over the bars for me. I hope!!!!! Oh and compared to the Kind post on my wife's bike it is much smoother to use and nicer all round even it is a few hundred grams heavier.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, Rockshox themselves tell you it needs bleeding out of the box. Fine by me, I'll have to shorten it anyway.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I might start a new thread. But can anyone mention the weights and travel and adjustment method of any or all types please.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rockshox Reverb

Weight 535g (1.17 LBS)
Length 380mm / 420mm, 125mm Adjustable Range
Colors Black
Material Shaft: 3D Forged 7050 Alloy, Head: 7050 Forged Alloy
Finish Anodized
Other Zero Offset / 2-Bolt, Reverb Remote Actuation: Adjustable return speed at the handlebar
Available in 30.9mm / 31.6mm Diameters

Ivan

Eats Squid
Rockshox Reverb

Weight 535g (1.17 LBS)
Colors Black
Finish Anodized
Other Zero Offset / 2-Bolt, Reverb Remote Actuation: Adjustable return speed at the handlebar
I don't know if this is in the other thread, but it's relevant here anyway.
[video=youtube;MsRlj_JJ8t0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsRlj_JJ8t0[/video]

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crank Brothers Joplin

material aluminum
post length 398mm
weight 590g
adjustment range 100mm / 4in
cable type standard shift cable
diameters available 30.9mm and 31.6mm
warranty 2 years

Also comes in 75mm adjustment.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Rockshox Reverb

Weight 535g (1.17 LBS)
Colors Black
Finish Anodized
Crank Brothers Joplin

material aluminum
post length 398mm
weight 590g
adjustment range 100mm / 4in
cable type standard shift cable
diameters available 30.9mm and 31.6mm
warranty 2 years

Also comes in 75mm adjustment.
Excellent fellas. Makes it easier. I'll keep quoting when more join, and start a new thread, maybe a sticky.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Should point out that when you buy the reverb you get the bleed kit and oil so everything you need is included.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm interested in the multi position posts like the Specialized Command Post and the Gravity Dropper. That 1" drop position would be really handy I think.

How have these posts gone for those that have used them?

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Rod and Grant,
I am running the command post, it is an awesome bit of gear, 125mm of travel and a remote lever that works awesomely well, i havent had to bleed it, clean or anything, it came on my Evo, but it works so well, i was thinking of selling it when i bought the bike thinking i wouldn't use it, but i use the thing non stop, the 3 positions are up for normal pedalling, down one for technical riding, then the 3rd position drops right down for downhill riding, both of you guys know that we do lots of technical riding up here, mt york, Lawson, 6ft track, knapsack etc.
In 6 months ownership i have not had to touch it, it is sealed really well from dirt and dust!
I modified the remote lever by using and xtr v-brake elbow and xtr cable, works beautifully, pm me if you want any more info!

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
The Joplin gravity dropper seat posts are rubish.

I cant stress enough how SHIT the Joplin post are.
I, on the other hand, have a different opinion to the author mentioned above (Australia's driving future perhaps?).

My Joplin has performed flawlessly. Yes it has some saddle nose wobble (if I notice it on the ride I am missing something else more important) but I haven't had any issues with it. After double knee orthroscopic surgery last year I expected the worst but the seatpost caused no problems. Because of it I am able to ride with my daughter's Wee Ride safely and not fall off at lights, junctions etc when I need to stop.

I will be getting a new Reverb to try/buy when they become available, coupled with the fact that Jet Black won't lend a Kind Shock to the LBS for me to check the actuation mechanism. If the Reverb fails I'll go to a Joplin 4 straight away.

Remember, opinion is rarely fact, particularly on the interwebz.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rod and Grant,
I am running the command post, it is an awesome bit of gear, 125mm of travel and a remote lever that works awesomely well, i havent had to bleed it, clean or anything, it came on my Evo, but it works so well, i was thinking of selling it when i bought the bike thinking i wouldn't use it, but i use the thing non stop, the 3 positions are up for normal pedalling, down one for technical riding, then the 3rd position drops right down for downhill riding, both of you guys know that we do lots of technical riding up here, mt york, Lawson, 6ft track, knapsack etc.
In 6 months ownership i have not had to touch it, it is sealed really well from dirt and dust!
I modified the remote lever by using and xtr v-brake elbow and xtr cable, works beautifully, pm me if you want any more info!
Thanks mate. The way you are using it sounds exactly like what I want to do.

Last edited:

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Thanks mate. The way you are using it sounds exactly like what I want to do.
Yeah it has surprised me a great deal, i know you love your technical riding, and it would suit you down to the ground, i think going for a really reliable product is the way to go, also i think it's a must to have handlebar remote, you dont want to be taking your hands off the bar at anytime, sometimes you have a very short amount of time to activate it, and hands on is the only way, i have used it in several races at yellowmundee when you dont have much time between topping out on a climb before dropping the post immediately to do techy type descents!
I know the Spesh is pretty dear, but it is built to last, that is for sure!