Adjustable seat posts - Kind Shock vs Joplin.

gimp21

Likes Bikes
I use the KS i950 with remote lever and it's probably one of the best things I've done with my bike. Whenever I'm riding the downhill track there are a couple of sections where it is uphill and before I had the KS I usually hate that part because my seat is really low and is giving me a hard time to pedal properly.

With the KS I can adjust it whenever I want. It takes a bit of time getting use to it, but once you know it's there you just adjust it naturally.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It takes a bit of time getting use to it, but once you know it's there you just adjust it naturally.
I second that. On its first outing on a DH track, I couldnt figure out why it was so difficult to get my weight back, then realised that I had forgotten to drop the seat !:eek:

The trail went from pedalling, to steep then really steep, so it was a gradual transition from pedalling to coasting.

simplesimon76

Likes Dirt
i picked up the remote KS for $290 at my local (for the riders) 3 weeks ago, awesome bit of gear, can't believe how much faster you can pin it down slops with the seat down alll the way, and once you get to the bottom, as your rolling to the next up section, push the little lever on the handle bars and your at the right height again for pedalling back up the hilll. Can't say i've ridden anything else, but i recommend anthing like this sort of thing.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
may give one of these a go
so many bad e-stories with the RS and CB models
thinking Kind Shock i950 without remote (don't like the clutter on bars/top tube)

what's the differance between the i900 and the i950?

Ivan

Eats Squid
may give one of these a go
so many bad e-stories with the RS and CB models
thinking Kind Shock i950 without remote (don't like the clutter on bars/top tube)

what's the differance between the i900 and the i950?
The 900 has setback, the 950 doesn't.

I would recommend a remote, because taking your hands off the bars to adjust the post can get a bit hairy I guess.

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Remember, opinion is rarely fact, particularly on the interwebz.
Haha, I know this is three months too late, but the fact is Joplin's are a heinous piece of equipment. It's not a matter of if, but rather when they fail.

I've already ranted in the AM section about them, but seriously, anyone considering a Joplin, even if it's an awesome deal, avoid like the proverbial plague. Not worth it at any price.

A single brass keyway... brilliant. The Joplin4 was supposed to rectify this with......... 2 brass keyways. Revolutionary. KS has recirculating ball bearings, really the only sensible way to do things.

Joplin doesn't seal properly - the staunchion just drags the seal open as it faps about, allowing all sorts of crap to get in if you're not careful.

Ever picked your bike up by the seat? Ride a Joplin and you'll pull air into the hydraulic cartridge - the seat doesn't lock down, it just stays down with gravity alone. Very, very poor.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Update from reverb and command post owners on how they are functioning to date. Ta
Well Al, the command post is app: 11 months old now, not 1 single problem to date, pulled it out not long ago to inspect, no dirt, no nothing, it just works awesome and makes a lot of sense!

Ivan

Eats Squid
Well Al, the command post is app: 11 months old now, not 1 single problem to date, pulled it out not long ago to inspect, no dirt, no nothing, it just works awesome and makes a lot of sense!
Is there any way to slow down the return on the Command Post? It seemed like a bit of a nut-cracker when I played with one in the shop.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Is there any way to slow down the return on the Command Post? It seemed like a bit of a nut-cracker when I played with one in the shop.
Less air in the air can, it will slow down!..too much air and blammo!

Chil

Likes Dirt
Can I ask those that bought the Specialized command seatpost, were these purchased locally or online? I had a look the specialized site and the cost is $225 (I presume this is USD?) the 30.9 125mm is sold out which is the one I was looking at but they have the 100mm available for the same price too. What is the local retail, I presume far more than than 225 USD?

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can I ask those that bought the Specialized command seatpost, were these purchased locally or online? I had a look the specialized site and the cost is $225 (I presume this is USD?) the 30.9 125mm is sold out which is the one I was looking at but they have the 100mm available for the same price too. What is the local retail, I presume far more than than 225 USD?
Last month when I rang around the rrp was $500. I emailed Specialized Au and they replied saying the price would be changed ont he 1st of June to reflect the better $Au. The Blacklite version is now also available, sort of. I'm waiting for a shop to get back to me on that one. Two of the 3 shops I rang were very helpful, Bikeminded and Endeavour Cycles, and I'll be buying it from one of those shops.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Update from reverb and command post owners on how they are functioning to date. Ta
No problems with the reverb. Has had one bleed out of the box and one more since then. Not a problem really because it is so easy to bleed but I do wonder where the air is getting in... Very happy. Still smooth and easy to use. No noticeable wear in the system. All good.