Adjustable Seat Posts

floody

Wheel size expert
So the 4 cable holder routes the seatpost cable all the way down the down tube, then all the way up the seatpost...... Thats alot more cable ???...
A lot more than a top tube routed one yes. There is nowhere to route the cable along the TT on these bikes...well for 2011 anyway, 2012 should have top tube guides and 2013 Torrent and Coppermine definitely have bolt on style top tube cable guides.

When I had my 2011 Torrent I ran 1x10 so I used the redundant front derailleur routing and ran the cable up through the seatpost qr (with an older i950 post), I did need one ziptie on the seattube tucked under the rocker for neatness. Function was fine, possibly heavier but remember the 400g+ seatpost is the elephant in the room there. The excess cable loop pushed itself out under the BB area which was fine.

So the 4 cable guide would let you do the same thing on a 2X/3X setup. As you can see it wasn't a hideously ugly way to route the cable.

Last edited:

F-Bomb

Likes Bikes
Nerf Herder> Here are a few pictures of the 4-cable holder

cable_holder_original_vs_custom.jpg
Clockwise from the top: the original aluminum 3-cable holder, my custom 4-cable holder freshly printed, the cleaned 4-cable holder.

I did not have black plastic to print the part, so I used what I had, transparent PLA plastic. The part could be printed in higher resolution, but I have issues with this printer at high resolution.

I was wondering how a plastic design would hold up compared to the original aluminum design. I made sure to make it a bit beefier than the original, thickening the walls a bit. Despite my apprehensions, the part works very nicely and survived field testing.

cable_holder_field_test.JPG

tasty.dirt74 > As you guessed, the cable was routed on the downtube, similarly to what floody did. I still need to install a cable longer by about 20 cm than the one provided with the seatpost dropper to make it go all the way to the bottom bracket and back up the seat.

Beardi > The 3D printers are not exactly cheap, but they are certainly affordable: ~1,500 - 3,000 USD. You choose: new bike or 3D printer? I used the one that my workplace purchased. Interestingly, I originally went to a bike shop to ask If they knew who manufactured my original 3-cable holder. They did not know and had never seen a part like this. That's when I decided that I would try to design one and 3D print it (my first part, yay)!

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
They look awesome!
I like your longer routing, looks neater. Does the loop hanging slack under the BB hit rocks etc though?
3D printing really is getting to be a good community!
I'd love to get in on it but as you say new bike vs 3D printer.... New Bike will always win!

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
PHEW!!!! Just read through all 41 pages of this thread (quiet day at work lol) + it was actually interesting.

Am definitely sold & will getting myself a droper in the next month or 2 and am leaning 90% towards KS Lev although I like what Fox has brought out (I run a 1x9 setup so have room for their dual paddle lever system) and think that their future offerings might be a go'er.

I am slightly put off by the fact I will have yet another thing to service but I am sure the benefits will out weigh that!

I do have one question (probably something for Nerf Herder), how long is the cable that comes with the Lev - assuming its the same for all models?

crowash

Likes Dirt
There are plenty of companies that will print your 3d design and post it to you. We have both a cubify printer and Makerbot Replicator 2 and the quality and durability of the plastic parts is very good and getting better. So far I've only engineered a lightweight tool to adjust my Crankbros seatpost for/aft but there are so many possibilties for stuff its hard to know where to start.

They look awesome!
I like your longer routing, looks neater. Does the loop hanging slack under the BB hit rocks etc though?
3D printing really is getting to be a good community!
I'd love to get in on it but as you say new bike vs 3D printer.... New Bike will always win!

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Nerf Herder> Here are a few pictures of the 4-cable holder

View attachment 255933
Clockwise from the top: the original aluminum 3-cable holder, my custom 4-cable holder freshly printed, the cleaned 4-cable holder.
cheers mate and thats fantastic ... BTW are you from Sydney and do you want some new friends :dance:

KS Cable outer length:
1165 +/- 5mm ... now apologies this was a measurement of a spare as opposed to one from a LEV box ... but almost certain all the models have the same length outter ... inner cable is another good +200mm longer again.
Note: your not limited to using KS housing and inner cables ... you can use other gear housing ... the only consideration is the diameter of the cable end (4mm dia) ... I know clarks and shimano have an appropriate model. I'll post when I find details.

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
KS Cable outer length:
1165 +/- 5mm ... now apologies this was a measurement of a spare as opposed to one from a LEV box ... but almost certain all the models have the same length outter ... inner cable is another good +200mm longer again.
Note: your not limited to using KS housing and inner cables ... you can use other gear housing ... the only consideration is the diameter of the cable end (4mm dia) ... I know clarks and shimano have an appropriate model. I'll post when I find details.
Thanks Nerf - gives me something to work off with working out the routing. Best give FTR a call and see what stock they got!

markb84

Likes Dirt
I just replaced the cable on my lev and used gore ride on cable. One end is standard gear one is the smaller which is suited to the lev.

F-Bomb

Likes Bikes
They look awesome!
If you setup the KS Lev properly, there is no slack cable. However, with the bottom tube routing, rocks can certainly hit the cables. You would have to be pretty unfortunate to have this affect the bike significantly though.

F-Bomb

Likes Bikes
BTW are you from Sydney and do you want some new friends :dance:
Could always need ride buddies, but no, I am from Brissie. :nod:

KS Cable outer length:
150cm for the cable housing and 170cm for the cable, according to the manual. Another 30cm are probably needed for the neat bottom tube routing on the Torrent.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
If you setup the KS Lev properly, there is no slack cable. However, with the bottom tube routing, rocks can certainly hit the cables. You would have to be pretty unfortunate to have this affect the bike significantly though.
I confused your bike with the one above.....

Have had a LEV for 6 months for the very reason of no slack......

floody

Wheel size expert
They look awesome!
I gather you might mean my bike, in practice, the slack under the bb hangs about level with the 36t chainring and causes no issue. I have holed the downtube on one bike riding the rocks here (!), but yet to have any issues with cables fouling/hooking up/being damaged. Obviously with an LEV you can tuck it up and there will be no slack, ever, unlike the old i950 on mine where the cable must move as the seat drops.

Its an oft repeated myth that cables hanging under the BB will get wrecked by impacts, I've owned two pre-07 chassis Enduros and two Avanti duallies with downtube routing under the bb and never had a problem.

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
For those in Perth or broader WA looking for LEV give Kalamanda Cycles a call and they'll sort you out.

They have 335/100, 385/125 and the 435/150 for you big fellas all in stock ... along with the new 27.2 400/100 LEV

slowmick

38-39"
Nerf Herder, is there a weight limit for the KS posts? I am a cose to 120 kg in full kit and have bent every seat i've owned over the last 15 years (yes, even bent the Thomson Elite).

I have a heap of seat post showing so the 150mm appeals but i am wondering if picking a shorter travel seat post would be more reliable over the life of the post?

Waiting to get my new build finished this week to find out what size seat post I need.

my02

Likes Dirt
Nerf Herder, is there a weight limit for the KS posts? I am a cose to 120 kg in full kit and have bent every seat i've owned over the last 15 years (yes, even bent the Thomson Elite).

I have a heap of seat post showing so the 150mm appeals but i am wondering if picking a shorter travel seat post would be more reliable over the life of the post?

Waiting to get my new build finished this week to find out what size seat post I need.
I'm the same weight as you.

No problems with the KS........umm......what did I buy from you Al? supernatural?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Supernat Ibeam from memory ...

No weight limit on the KS posts.

The trade off in length is weight and leverage / flex. The longer posts are going to experience more flex relatively speaking at full extension. That said some people think running the shorter 385/125 and having more mast (which has thinner walls vs the stanchion) could have more flex. The trade off there is that the cable actuation point is higher up ... more exposed cable etc etc vs a longer post with less mast exposed and the actuator slammed ... there is also a price difference.

Few things to consider ... if you'd like insert measurements on the 385 vs 435 drop an email to info(at)pushie.com.au

ronster44

Likes Dirt
Little red cover plate

Hay Nerf herder do you keep the cable junction cover plates off the Lev's as mine went missing today on a ride DOH!!! the geto tail side fix of insulation tape work for a little wile and keep the mud out
Cheers Ron

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
soz for the slow reply.

Ron ... I think you emailed us already as I've just replied I think ... We can sort spares as we've made sure we have enough.

Wellsey.
Try FTR (brisbane) ... but I think they sold theirs awhile ago.
If they don't have one ... email me (sales(at)pushie.com.au ) as I think I know two dealers may have stock ... Kalamanda (Perth) and or Blackmans (Sydney). I can put you guys together.
Other then this LEV 27.2mm is currently sold out soz ... I have several 27.2mm Supernaturals in stock if that works for you ... the next shipment is not likely May at this stage but I'll have a few more LEV 27.2 in that order.

markb84

Likes Dirt
The Lev is a fantastic dropper. Second to none on my books.

However the cover needs a rethink or a simple mod. I have a cable tie round mine to stop it popping off and that works perfectly.