Advice: 2011 Giant Anthem x2, Giant Trance x2 or Scott Spark 50.

dk13

Likes Bikes
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to MTB, so forgive me if i sound like a knob or posted on the wrong section.

I always had MTBikes but only started riding it i bit more seriously on the beginning of last year, currently i'm riding a Giant Talon 3 2009 model. But i'm staring to feel the need of an upgrade. I usually ride single tracks but nothing too hardcore, the tracks i run have lots of big hill climbs so a good light climbing bike is a must for me, on the other hand i'd love to go full suspension.

my budget is around AU$2000 - 2500, i know i wouldn't get more than an entry level bike for that kind of price but it's what i can afford atm.

the bikes i have in mind are: 2011 Giant Anthem x2, Giant Trance x2 or Scott Spark 50.

I've been a big fan of giant all my life, but i'm happy to try something else... what cough my attention on the scott is the dual locking system on shocks as being my first full suspension bike it would be nice to easily lock the back suspension when i need it, making it feel closer to my hard tail giving me a smoother transition from it.

On the other hand, some guys that ride those giants say with their rear suspension you don't feel the need of locking it when going uphill as it feels quite stiff on your paddle strokes... i'm not sure how true that is...

Can someone give me some advice on what would be the best bike around that price even if its not one of the 3 above...

cheers,
dan

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
My 2c as a 2011 Trance X1 owner with several riding mates with Anthems.
First up both the Trance and the Scott are 120mm travel bikes.
The Anthem is 100mm.
The Trance is described as a trail bike where as the Anthem is a DS XC bike.
The Trance has slacker geometry making it better on decents than the Anthem where as the Anthem is more orientated towards XC and I would assume climbs a bit better.
I would also assume that this would also be the case with the Scott being a 120mm bike but not having ridden one let alone seen one up close I cant comment.
You need to decide what sort of riding you really want to do - the Trance will handle it all but with the ability to handle bigger hits and faster rougher decents but the Anthem may well be faster in a more XC roll all things including the rider being equal.
As for the duel lock outs on the Scott compared to the Giants.
I really enjoy a good climb on the Trance and I never feel the need to lock out either the fork or use pro pedal on the shock.
But that may just be me, I do tend to sit and spin rather than stomp on climbs which may induce more bob, but Maestro designs are known to be solid climbers.
Personally I think that with the efficient suspension designs these days and a good pedaling technique lock outs are almost at the point of being a gimick.

If there is anybody out there that would care to disagree, be my guest.

bluesmurf

Likes Bikes
As Jeffgre_6163 has said it really depends on what type of riding you plan on doing. I have a 2010 Anthem X2 and I absolutely love it. Previously I was on an 02 Specialized Enduro which I loved but the move to the Anthem was sensational.

The Anthem climbs, descends and rides sensationally. I pretty much ride the same terrain on the Anthem as I did on the Specialized. There are some really good thread on this forum re anthems, just use the search function.

Regarding locking out of the rear shock, I have mine set in propedal all the time and pedal bob while climbing is minimal.

I have heard great things about the trance aswell but haven't riden one myself and I cant comment on the scott as I have had nothing to do with them at all. IMO Giant are great value for money

Hope this helps.:)

dk13

Likes Bikes
hi jeff,

thanks for the reply, Giant is definitely an option to consider than, it's has better shocks [fox] than the scott [dl swiss] IMO.

Most of my riding i do in Daisy Hill and Nerang, Daisy is pretty much fast XC single track with some fire roads and Nerang is more rocky single track with some big climbs, so i guess the more travel the better on the suspension as Nerang can get really bumpy... so the anthem is out of the question.

I tend to do a lot of standing attack climbs thats why i was considering the locking device on the scott as it would be much easier to just flip a switch and lock the rear on a hill, but i guess it's what you said, new technology, better riding style might not even use the lock...

The best way to know is probably taking both for a test run... just need to check if my local store would let me give it a go even if just around the block...

thanks for the advice....

cheers,
dan

bluesmurf

Likes Bikes
Dan, don't write the Anthem off too quickly! If you are able to test ride all three you will get a better idea of what suits you and your riding style.

This is my personal opinion , but the more bikes you can test ride the better.

Storm999

Likes Bikes
Tried both Giants when I was looking for my new bike. My thoughts.

Anthem:
Twitchy and tight. Low and stretched cockpit. Serious XC machine. Very efficent back end, no pedal bob, rides like a hardtail.

Trance:
Bit slacker and a lot more fun. Felt like a much more capable bike. Bit more pedal bob, but propedal fixed that.

Ended up going with a Felt Compulsion. 6" of travel, efficent suspension design, a bit more down the hill oriented.

Last edited:

dk13

Likes Bikes
hey smurf,

thanks mate, yeah definitely if i can try all of them i will for sure... i've been doing some homework in the mean time, and according to some reviews and sites seems that since 1990's most of the suspension designs have improved a lot on eliminating the bob effect... still couldn't find what is the best design for it, but everyone says the santa cruz design seems to be a good one, unfortunately those bikes are way over my price tag, maybe one day... plus as i'm still on my learning stages i'm expecting a few crashes, and probably wouldn't want to ruin a new $6k bike... And at this stage anything would be better than my $600 bike...

But definitely if i can try different bike i will, just a matter to see if they will let me try....

cheers,
----------------------
----------------------

Strom,

Thanks for the input, question which one did you ended up buying?

cheers dan

cheers,

dk13

Likes Bikes
sorry storm,

just saw the Felt Compulsion... looks good but indeed more DH oriented....

cheers,
dan

mella060

Likes Dirt
You would probably have more fun on a trance. It is the perfect bike for the weekend warrior who just likes getting out there with your mates and ripping it up. My 2010 x1 is only around half a kilo heavier then the 2010 anthem x1 so they are fairly light and climb nearly as good as the anthem. Would be perfect for the odd 100km race with that extra bit of travel being a bit more forgiving.

If you plan on doing a lot of enduros and 3/6/8/12 hr races, then definitely look at the anthem.

But for general trail riding and riding at various trail centres that are rocky/smooth or whatever, then would be hard to go past the trance.

The fact that the sweet spot for trail bikes these days is 6" of travel, means that the trance with its 5" of travel is perfect for the more XC orientated trail bike.

Last edited:

bluesmurf

Likes Bikes
I would have to agree with what mella060 says. As much as I really enjoy riding my Anthem and I haven't had any issues with comfort riding it I have been riding for a while now.

I do occasionally wonder if a trance would have been a better way to go but too late now, I am incredibally happy with the Anthem. As far as value for money you can't go past the giants.

dk13

Likes Bikes
I was just chatting with a friend of mine who is a MTB addict [i pretty much consider him as a Professional that doesn't get paid to ride], he pretty much rides on the same places as i do, but on a level around 10000x above mine hehehehe... and his words on this issue were: "My strong recommendation is for the Trance X2".

He said few of his mates ride Tx1 and they love them, he also said:
"yep, Anthem x it is a true XC race bike, but it would be a handful around nerang"

my only concern is that for what i've been reading the Trance has more pedal bob than the Anthem, and it's a bit heavier... now how much bob and how much heavier i wouldn't know...

Also on reviews everyone says the scott has a lot of bob, thats why the do it with the twin lock, so you use it... the only problem is the scott spark 50 only has 2 stages locked or unlocked... so scott for me is out of the question, think it'e better go with the giant that has a smarter suspension...

so if you go with basic specs for the trance x2 and the anthem x2, that is the weight difference between them and how much bob you get on the trance? i know both have the pro-pedal setting, but since i never ridden one i don't really know how good this works...

cheers,
dan

AAAARRRRGHHHH i hate this, the more i read the worst it gets to make a decision hahahahahaha just wish i had the money to build a custom bike from scratch...

mella060

Likes Dirt
my only concern is that for what i've been reading the Trance has more pedal bob than the Anthem, and it's a bit heavier... now how much bob and how much heavier i wouldn't know...
You will find that pedal bob is minimal if any at all. Giants Maestro suspension basically eliminates pedal bob. If you get the sag set up correctly, which the bike shop will do for you, then you basically have no pedal bob. Sure the trance is more plush, but when hooning along the trails, you will hardly notice any pedal bob.

As for weight, well there is probably only around half a kilo difference, which is fairly minimal really. Besides, if you upgrade the wheels at some stage you are going to basically eliminate the difference anyway. The trance climbs really well since it is more of an XC orientated trail bike then an all mountain bike.

The giant reign might be a bit more sluggish on the uphills since it is more of an all mountain bike with 6" of travel, but with the trance, you will find that it climbs like a scalded monkey and descends like a runaway train.

mella060

Likes Dirt
You will find that pedal bob is minimal if any at all. Giants Maestro suspension basically eliminates pedal bob. If you get the sag set up correctly, which the bike shop will do for you, then you basically have no pedal bob. Sure the trance is more plush, but when hooning along the trails, you will hardly notice any pedal bob.

As for weight, well there is probably only around half a kilo difference, which is fairly minimal really. Besides, if you upgrade the wheels at some stage you are going to basically eliminate the difference anyway. The trance climbs really well since it is more of an XC orientated trail bike then an all mountain bike.

The giant reign might be a bit more sluggish on the uphills since it is more of an all mountain bike with 6" of travel, but with the trance, you will find that it climbs like a scalded monkey and descends like a runaway train.

dk13

Likes Bikes
... it climbs like a scalded monkey and descends like a runaway train.
Thanks Mella,

loved the description hehehehehe...

I'll definitely go check them out on the weekend, 500g is nothing at least on my level of riding to be honest, and i can always go to the toilet before i ride and drop few 100's grams off anyway BAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.... [disgusting...]

But yeah Trance is looking more and more like the option here...

cheers,
dan

dk13

Likes Bikes
that looks nice jeff... just wish the x2 had that colour instead of the boring black and blue...

nice photo too...

dan

Dazzo

Likes Dirt
As a Trance owner (lover), I would suggest you also think about what sort of riding you will likely get into over the next 12 to 24 months. I've really enjoyed riding my Trance, infact it has been a hoot! But, i think my next ride will be an Anthem. If you are thinking you might like to start having a crack at some team endurance events, like the Mont, the Scott or a few 12 or 8 hour events then the Anthem would be a better selection. Albeit, not by much, but it will climb better and to me it descends more or less the same (slightly more twitchy). Nonetheless, either are a fine selection. AND, don't be put off by anyone that tells you to buy another more botique brand over a Giant for the sake of Giants being common run of the mill. They are truly a nice bike to ride and cash to spec ratio - can not be beaten! My 2c ;)

shoogyboom

Likes Dirt
I have a 2011 Anthem X1 and love it but still think sometimes I wish I got a Trance. Coming form a Reign and a Scott Genius 20 (6" and 5" travel) the Anthem is a bit twitchier but definitely climbs like a mountain goat. I wanted to get into a bit of XC racing and thats why I went Anthem. If I could I would have both. A friend has a 2011 Trance X1 and he thinks sometimes he would like an Anthem.
If you are just going out there for a bit of fun and not too worried about speed uphills I would go the Trance. My mate rides a Trance and goes uphill as fast as me though. The Trance has bit more travel and less twitchy which means a bit more forgiving.
As Dazzo said you can't beat Giant for value and who cares what people say anyway.

Last edited:

dk13

Likes Bikes
thanks dazzo and shoogy,

As Dazzo said you can't beat Giant for value and who cares what people say anyway.
Yeah i've always been a big fan of Giants, they are awesome bikes and you can't beat price value, as i mentioned before i ride a '09 Giant Talon 3, i have no complains about it, it's been a good bike and definitely looked after me really well so far, i know it sits on the lower end of the bikes, but still doing its job...

After all this i'm definitely going towards the Trance, i don't think i'll be doing any races and competitions any time soon, or at least on a serious level, might enter on some just for fun and enjoyment of the energy that goes around the comp, it's kind of cool to feel a bit of pressure and the adrenaline of the competition but i'm definitely not on any kind of level to compete with any top guy, so for that matter i don't think the anthem would make much difference... but i'll try a test run on both of them before i make my final decision...

Most of my riding i do on the weekends with my friends, unfortunately work and location won't let me ride during the week.... i just wish we had 2 more days on the week to accommodate all the stuff we like to do...

cheers,

dk13

Likes Bikes
Hey guys, just came across a trance x1 2010 model for the same price as the x2 2011, it,s a good jump from SLX to XT/XTR, but I noticed the frame is slightly different... Should I stick to the 2011 model? Or the 2010 is a good buy?