Advice? I need a car to carry bikes...

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My advice is get a ute 2 or 4 door doesent matter but 4's have allot more space for stuff in the cab. And make a bracket up for the back to put the bikes on!

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Grip rack

It only yakes me 2 minutes to attach or unattch my gripsport rack on the subie.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Justin, although I have no real experience here, I have talked to quite a few people and many of them recommended the Forester - So definately add it to your short list.

Also, I agree with you having the bike INSIDE the car, although the bike may be secure on an external rack, being outside the car it must be more tempting for thieves. Plus you get get dark tints so the bikes can't even be seen :p

EDIT: Just remembered, my sister is selling one. 2003 model, manual, base model. Burgandy colour. Not sure of asking price, but I know it's definately under 20k (just). Even if you want something newer, you're more than welcome to check it out just to make sure your bike fits in OK just to get an idea.

EDIT 2:Here's the car: http://www.nationalcarconnections.com.au/index.php?car=viewcar&id=8270&make=104&model=FORESTER - I don't know how to the National Car Connection thing works, I think they advertise it and store it in their yard, and when they sell they get a percentage of the sell price or something. However the car itself is still owned by my sister.

EDIT 3: I take all that back, it's sold (for 11k!! what a jip!)

Last edited:

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice dedication for selling the S2K for something more MTB orientated :)

Please though, please don't sell your skyline. Thing is a work of art, and I don't care how impracticle it is for MTB, please don't sell it!

From reading this thread I would say that the swing tends to be towards Foresters. Fair enough, as they are a nice looking car, a wagon with plenty of room, and plenty of clearance for driving up tracks to get to the selected place of riding. +1 for the Forester.

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok dual cab ute, hilux or navara. If you got the $$$ Get a adual cab ford F250 or one of those huge utes, my faviourate for sure!

wa_shova

Likes Bikes
I understand you may have a relationship with the marque coming from an s2000, but like a few other guys have mentioned don't buy a CR-V.
I often work on them and overall they are rubbish. I could write a novel but I won't.

My advice, Subaru Forester or Liberty wagon, or 2001+ Corolla wagon or possibly hatch. If you are after something in the way of a small 4wd then a Forester would get my vote, another option is a Nissan Xtrail. Like someone mentioned previously, the higher ground clearance would be an advantage when using a Grip carrier.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Ok dual cab ute, hilux or navara. If you got the $$$ Get a adual cab ford F250 or one of those huge utes, my faviourate for sure!
Ahh. Somebody who is obviously not old enough to be paying for petrol at the moment.

:cool:

Back to the OP's original question, You'll actually find that most cars will fit your criteria quite nicely.

We've put two bikes in the back of my cousin's Alfa 156 (not the biggest of motors) on more than one occasion with no real problems. It's just a case of taking the wheels off and keeping some sheets between them to avoid scratches.

Not that I'm recommending the Alfa, well, it is a nice car but everyone I know who has one has spent a fortune on servicing and repairs...

Last edited:

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Not stylish but goes well, is not too bad on fuel depending the driving you do (I get under 9 l per hundred on the open road), acres of room and cheap parts...

The MIGHTY MAGNA!

PLUS they will just about throw it at you when you ring and say, 'I'm calling about the magna you have for sale...'. Buy a really well specced one for under 9g and spend the rest on bikes...

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
But really expensive to get serviced!:(
Had two Foresters and neither have needed any excessive issues worked out, other then my brother fucking up the transmission cause of his "hard core" donuts, burnouts, "drifts".

If you get a Forester in good condition it should be perfect for what you're looking for.

Largest

Likes Bikes
Judging by your previous posts/threads, you will want to modify whatever you drive.
I love the minitrucks due to the style, individuality and fabrication/modification.
I recon a 00'ish Hilux xtracab, spend 10k on it.
Do some bodywork, shave it up, chuck on some decent wheels, and your set.
a canopy can be made to look good if you want it to hold more than one bike inside, or a stylish hardlid will safely contain the pride and joy.
Bonus is, its a full chassis job, and will fit a heap of engines, easily engineered, 1uzfe calling!
the standard engine is bombproof, and not that bad on fuel.

this is not mine, but could be easily achieved, and you can go anywhere from there.

Largest

Likes Bikes
Needs something to carry bike... Ute springs to mind.
Likes to modify his gear... Minitruck springs to mind.

Its fine if you dont like it, you got anything constructive to say?

bb7 rider

Cyclone Imports
where do you keep the pussy magnet in that s2000? did you sell it with the car ? hahah was it a a reliable magnet? get a nice clean vito!

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi guys.

I've ended up with a Honda Jazz. I bought it off my sister at a great price (convinced her to upgrade to a VW Golf!).

Will easily fit 2 bikes without taking the front wheel off.

Things is has going for it:
- It's great on fuel, cheap to insure and can easily fit the bikes.

I won't even bother to list things it hasn't got going for it (lol). As you can see I've taken out the rear seats alltogether, and I'll drop into Clark rubber some time ASAP to grab some rubber lining so I don't get things too dirty back there.

Cheers for all the responses!