Alcopops price to drop after tax defeat

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
This is very true a lot of my friends turned to pot when they couldn't afford drinks any more. It's like at our school disco breath testing does shit all because we all go out and get high or pop a pill or two
How old are you guys? If you are at a school disco (and oldest people who really went to ours were in year 9) you probably shouldn't be drinking anyway. And the weed or pills is just dumb. It's a school disco, not a night club or rave. Pills won't turn it into that for you.

But I still do think the alchopop tax was a bad idea. All it did was start a transfer from pre mixed spirits to home mixed or straight spirits. And goon. Goon started appearing way to much. I have no idea how to fix the binging/underage drinking issue, but the tax wasn't it.

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No put works out cheaper $20 worth of pot you'll be ripped all night, $20 worth of alchopops, barley tipsy

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How old are you guys? If you are at a school disco (and oldest people who really went to ours were in year 9) you probably shouldn't be drinking anyway. And the weed or pills is just dumb. It's a school disco, not a night club or rave. Pills won't turn it into that for you.

But I still do think the alchopop tax was a bad idea. All it did was start a transfer from pre mixed spirits to home mixed or straight spirits. And goon. Goon started appearing way to much. I have no idea how to fix the binging/underage drinking issue, but the tax wasn't it.
Our disco is a bit different to yours I'm 16 and everyone in my year (year 11) goes and even more from year 12 go

floody

Wheel size expert
Yay no more massive hangovers from straight bourbon.
You'd actually get a worse hangover from mixed bourbon, if you drank the same volume of liquor.

'sif drink premixes though unless you know no better or absolutely must have the portability. Gross. Quality bourbon and soda water/dry ginger/sparkling mineral water with some ice for me, not unknown quantity bourbon and toilet water quality softdrink.

Last edited:

Beerismyfriend

Likes Dirt
Hopefully this outcome prompts a much broader review of all alcohol taxation. Currently, the system is a can of worms where some producers remit a fortune in direct alcohol tax (excise) and others pay nothing at all. I think we're long overdue for a volumetric based tax were a standard drink's worth of alcohol attracts the same tax regardless of whether it's in the form of bottled wine, a goon bag, beer, spirits or pre-mixes. If alcohol is the problem, then alcohol taxation should be universal.

addmin

Likes Dirt
why do people feel the need to prove to farkin how hard they are by bragging about all the pills, pot, and stuff that they take.
who cares?

OMG i was soo smashed on staruday night aye brah, i dont even remember wat was happening or neything i was like on a pinga and then i had a few j's and then i went and go my bourbon and coke and drank until i vomited on the chick who i'd been tryin to tune like the whole night.... am i cool now??
end rant//

enjoi

Likes Bikes
Our disco is a bit different to yours I'm 16 and everyone in my year (year 11) goes and even more from year 12 go
Hahahaha......well unfortunatly your school disco is still shit and I would recommend saving the booze/biccies until your 18 and hitting more....developed events.

Drugs and booze at schools is a bit shit I think.

axertes

Likes Dirt
Do these insular short-sighted puritans not realise that taxing the absolute shit out of alcohol will not curb binge-drinking culture? Australia, the UK and Ireland are among the most expensive places in the 'Western' world to drink anyway. And we're the ones with that culture.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Do these insular short-sighted puritans not realise that taxing the absolute shit out of alcohol will not curb binge-drinking culture? Australia, the UK and Ireland are among the most expensive places in the 'Western' world to drink anyway. And we're the ones with that culture.
We're nowhere near as bad as the likes of Norway and you should see the messes the Norwegians get themselves into in the Aberdeen airport departure lounge as they enjoy the last of the 'cheap' booze!

downhiller_1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i dont drink much but it will be better as the price will go down... can wait to get my hand on some still over priced grog

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
Alcopop refund goes to controversial charity DrinkWise Australia
THE $300 million collected under the alcopop tax will be given to a controversial body that promotes "a safe drinking culture" and is backed by the alcohol industry. The refund due to distillers after the Senate rejected the Federal Government's tax would be given to the charity Drinkwise Australia, Distilled Spirits Industry Council Chairman Michale McShane said.

"As an organisation we have said that all revenue collected from the tax should be returned to the community for use in alcohol-related harm-minimisation programs,” Mr McShane said. DrinkWise Australia promotes itself as an independent body but its 11 member board contains six representatives from the alcohol industry.
'Good for young drinkers'
Earlier, a senior Liberal senator has defended the Opposition's stand against a tax hike on alcopops, saying the lower price would be a boon for young drinkers.

Senator Eric Abetz says the tax on alcopops should not be the same as for drinks with higher alcohol content. He also says the ready-mixed sweetened beverages help drinkers keep track of their alcohol intake. "As a result young people will be able to be very sure as to the amount of alcohol they drink,'' he said.

If they mixed the drinks themselves, young drinkers might not know how much alcohol they were consuming,
he said. Senator Abetz said young women liked alcopops because they prevented their drinks from being spiked. "They can put the top back on and hold the bottle rather than a glass which is a great protection.''

He rejected suggestions that cheaper alcopops meant teenaged girls could get drunk more easily."That's quite a silly question,'' he said.
Not really sure about some of those comments though.If you're too stupid/ignorant to be able to monitor your alcohol intake when drinking from a 750ml vodka as opposed to a cruiser/breezer, then you shouldn't be drinking.....

Last edited:

bunya djer n dher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
LEast kids will be dowing 8 cans of fizz instead of a bottle of hard piss.

im stoked to be able to be able to start affording Woody 9's!

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
why do people feel the need to prove to farkin how hard they are by bragging about all the pills, pot, and stuff that they take.
who cares?

end rant//
its the internet, everyone needs to prove how big there e-penis is.

i never bought premixed stuff any way whats wrong with beer cheap and oh so tasty.

aceblueheeler1992

Likes Dirt
i say...let people drink, smoke all they wont. that means they die younger/quicker meaning that less money will be spent on elderly care, medical expenses etc. becuase there will be less people to spend on (elderly consume a large proportion of medical,tax money)

Raw Toast Man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its $65 for a carton of rum and coke 24 pack, and from $30-40 for a 10 pack. How much is going to be taken off? It cant be too much?
Where as you can get a carton of Coopers Pale Ale for $40 is better.