Alcopops price to drop after tax defeat

Haro Xeon

Likes Bikes
When the tax first came in all the grog shops jacked up the price on these drinks that were already purchased at the lower price, making an extra $20 per carton of extra profit.

Now the tax is gone we will have to wait months for the grog shop to sell all this stock purchased at the higher price to be sold before they reduce the price.

The consumer got ripped last time, this time the grog shop should be forced to pass on the saving immediately and wear the loss because they were thieving pricks when the tax came in.

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I long for the days of 9% Bulleit cans being back on the shelves.

Especially if they are <$100/carton.

Even once Woodstock is back to its <$40/carton, let the good times roll :cool:

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So do Mcdonalds, KFC, Hj's, Pizza hut (X 100 of other fast food outlets) but they don't get taxed. try to refrain from using that argument.
True, but does Phast Phood result in the completely fucked up situations that many, many Australians find themselves in because they don't have the intelligence/insight/willpower to realise they have an alcohol related problem and deal with it constructively?

Being overweight, a person is likely to suffer health issues, but I doubt the issues would be as immediately far reaching nor as dramatic as those surrounding a person who abuses alchohol.

Sure, many of you Farkiners may enjoy a drink or 10 and come to no harm, nor harm others, directly or indirectly. But there is a shitload of the Australian population, male, female, young and old, who cannot handle the responsibility of being allowed to freely buy and consume booze.

No-one, to my knowledge, has been killed by a person driving a vehicle under the influence of KFC or Pizza Hut, nor wreaked havoc on the lives of friends/family, dependants or complete strangers etc as a direct consequence of being overweight.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree

Last edited:

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When the tax first came in all the grog shops jacked up the price on these drinks that were already purchased at the lower price, making an extra $20 per carton of extra profit.

Now the tax is gone we will have to wait months for the grog shop to sell all this stock purchased at the higher price to be sold before they reduce the price.

The consumer got ripped last time, this time the grog shop should be forced to pass on the saving immediately and wear the loss because they were thieving pricks when the tax came in.
The extra prices were TAX, not extra prices the bottle shops put on. What you're saying doesn't make any sense to me? Why would it be more expensive for the bottle shops to purchase it with the tax than without it? Isn't the tax payed AFTER they sell it?

Or is the tax applied to it wholesale? Cause that seems a bit fucking retarted...

|Matt|

Banned
The extra prices were TAX, not extra prices the bottle shops put on. What you're saying doesn't make any sense to me? Why would it be more expensive for the bottle shops to purchase it with the tax than without it? Isn't the tax payed AFTER they sell it?

Or is the tax applied to it wholesale? Cause that seems a bit fucking retarted...
When a business buys stock, they pay the tax on it which they then pass on to the consumer.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The government should learn to fuck off and stop telling people whats good for them for the sake of the children. If I want someone to hold my dick when I take a piss, I will bloody well ask.

Well, be thankfull you were blessed with enough 'smarts' to not need the government to tell you 'what is good for the children', and that you are quite capable of holding your own dick whilst pissing. Many are not so fortunate to be as independant in their thinking as you and thus need some protection from themselves;)

S.

ex offender
Howcome nobody has commented on:

1. The fact that Fielding is clearly a moron, by playing off the banning of alcohol ads during sporting events (wtf? It's not like AFL is Sesame Street anyway) AGAINST canning the alcohol tax? So now he's "broken the back of the alcohol industry" (or whatever his words were) or some shit by not only giving a huge amount of money back to the industry, but undoubtedly increasing their sales, AND allowing them to advertise when he didn't want them to.

2. The fact that one senator, who as I have just pointed out is a complete frigging moron, holds the balance of power over this entire debate? It's even worse than an entirely adversarial two-party system, because one single moron more or less gets to dictate policy for the entire country.

This makes me so angry, very angry indeed.

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
Yah, thought so there, seeing as it wasn't really a serious comment. Still, hopefully things'll be cheaper, $50 says they won't go all the way back down, everyone's used to it now.
According to the paper, it'll come down about $25- the tax equals around 30c-$1.30/bottle or can. I'm willing to put money on it not returning to original prices though.
We've already got a few signs up at work (safeway bottleo), and the prices will drop as soon as all our "taxed stock" is sold, because we've already paid the tax for that lot. So get drinkin, and the new prices will come into effect sooner.

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As a few people have touched on already, drink beer, 40-50 bucks a slab is no worries.

Seriously though, for you underage kids, did the tax actually stop you from drinking as much at all?

|Matt|

Banned
As a few people have touched on already, drink beer, 40-50 bucks a slab is no worries.

Seriously though, for you underage kids, did the tax actually stop you from drinking as much at all?
For the period of the tax that I was underage, it moved me from Jim Beam to Woodstock premix. Basically, MORE was consumed...those magnificent 440ml cans :).

|Matt|

Banned
I'm 17 for another couple of months. I don't drink them at all though, so no. I don't see what's wrong with beer.
Agreed. I love liking beer. People can be like 'oh noes zomg Vodka is soooo expensive', I can stick to my Woodstock, or get a nice cheap can/bottle of Carlton Draught and have enough for two or three nights out when a bottle of straight will only do them for one solid effort :).

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Not at all I just drank beer as normal and when I felt like bourbon drank it straight or mixed it myself.

sambula

Likes Dirt

I moved to goon, and passion pop. But it's ok now, because that horrible time in my life is over :rolleyes: