ALDI - 36pc Bike Tool Kit (Im not even joking)

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
About to go line up with the grannies at Aldi to pick me up some jerseys and gloves.

Ive been convinced and am not getting the cheapo tools... besides I don't even know how to use half of them :eek:

song

Likes Dirt
About to go line up with the grannies at Aldi to pick me up some jerseys and gloves.

Ive been convinced and am not getting the cheapo tools... besides I don't even know how to use half of them :eek:
please don't get the cycling jerseys and gloves from Aldi...... because you will look very ridiculous! :)

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
please don't get the cycling jerseys and gloves from Aldi...... because you will look very ridiculous! :)
I can tell u that this time I refrained from the jerseys - ashamedly Ill admit that I didnt quite like the colour combinations on offer this time round :(.... But i did get a couple pairs of gloves for 10 bucks and I reckon they're swoight! Beats training in the same old stinky ones I currently have and now I have 4 pairs for the price of 1.

I often wear a aldi jersey, and I don't give a rats what ppl think I look like.
Me too mate, I dont really care. At the end of the day I love passing the fellas who are fully kitted up in their $100+ outfits and having a nice big grin on my chin. Knicks i can understand with regards to splurging a little (i go for dhb - thats not really splurging) - but jerseys, I go for cheapest is best.. as long as it has 3 pockets and its not a ridiculous colour etc.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
$100 + outfit?? More like 500+ outfit! My Assos kit cost me ~300 for the bib shorts and $150 or thereabouts for the jersey.. Plus my nice racing sunnies, roadie helmet and roadie shoes and nice roadie specific socks (Ok, ok.. they are colour coded Aldi socks :p).

I still ride like a nub though.

fairy1

Banned
Agreed.

5 years ago I bought a Pedro's Allen key set which cost almost $200. I have never regretted it for a second. They are/were/will be a brilliant set of tools that have not changed since the day I bought them.

As everyone else has said, cheap tools get cheap results.

Buy well, buy once is my theory.
:cool:
Seriously, almost $200 for allen keys? I can't see $200 of value in any set of allen keys.

0psi

Eats Squid
I'm going to give it a go, don't particularly like taking my Pedros and Park tools with me when I go away. And besides, most people who harp on about the quality of tools are mechanics, who use their tools all day every day. Workshops kill inferior tools pretty quick, I've been through a fair few Park tools through my years of wrenching in shops but the few Park tools I've got at home have been with me for eons.

J--A--C--K

Likes Bikes
not sure if this has been said but if ur looking for a good set of tools ect it sometimes pays to stay away from brands like park and pedros for the more generic type tools , allen keys spanners ect i fine that u can even get sidcrhome for abouit the same price range as said brands and u get a much better tool obviously u need to go witht eh bike brands for chain breakers ,spoke keys ect and u can even find good stuff for much less at moto stores i got a wicked set of tyre levers for 6bucks each when park were $20 each, i guess what im tring to say is dont get caught up with bike specific moutain bike brands

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
not sure if this has been said but if ur looking for a good set of tools ect it sometimes pays to stay away from brands like park and pedros for the more generic type tools , allen keys spanners ect i fine that u can even get sidcrhome for abouit the same price range as said brands and u get a much better tool obviously u need to go witht eh bike brands for chain breakers ,spoke keys ect and u can even find good stuff for much less at moto stores i got a wicked set of tyre levers for 6bucks each when park were $20 each, i guess what im tring to say is dont get caught up with bike specific moutain bike brands
+1

I have some Gorilla Grip align keys and they are great. I think I spent about $50 for a set of 8.

scuba05

Likes Dirt
I have the Pro Tools kit http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=128_130&products_id=57, which is alright for $200 when i bought it. Its not that they are bad, its just that they arent the best. It didnt come with a BB spanner(which is needed for truvativ stuff), which i needed straight away. It does everything i need at the moment, but much rather use other tools i have acquired. I was able to make it tax deductible anyway.

Allen keys? I think i paid about $35-$40 for a set of Bondhus (or something like that), with about 8 sizes. These things are f**king brilliant. I used them for work on shit bolts, and they still haven't rounded after 2+ years. I had another set from super-shit (super cheap), lasted not even 6mths until i was rounding them. Useless shit.

If you intend on using the tools even semi-regularly, get good stuff. Everyone here should have a decent set of allen keys. You use them everywhere, not just on the bike.

Spend your money guys. $50 set is going to screw your bike and yourself. Its like buying a huffy and wanting to race DH on it. Its gunna end one way.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I don't think 'what tool to buy' debate is as simple as buy cheap or buy expensive. For starters, there's a big range out there in the middle between $2 shop crap, and Park. There's also a huge difference in people's requirements, and how often they're going to be using tools. A lot of tools I'd never skimp on. Cheap spoke keys/spanners/allen keys are often just going to cause constant headaches. Some others I don't think are nearly as important.

Cable cutters for example. I've got a set of Park cutters and they're fantastic, but I got them because I got them pretty cheap and at the time I was using them a lot. In Australia Park is horrendously overpriced, and I think anyone dropping over $100 on a set of cable cutters for occasional use has more money than sense. I've used some Lifu ones in the workshop (after one set of Park ones found their way into the garbage bin...) and they've been good. Sure, they wore faster than the Park ones but for home use they'd be more than adequate, and they're more than 70% cheaper.

Speaking of Park, I've said it before, but I also can't see the sense in buying overpriced Park allen keys for home use. They're stupid expensive, and they're just Bondhus drivers with Park handles anyway! If you're not handling the things all day everyday, standard L-keys will be plenty comfortable, and my Bondhus Ls cost me $35 for a metric 2-10mm set.
Best thing is that when they wear (and they inevitably will, not even Park will last forever) I'm not afraid of chucking them in the bin and buying a new replacement. Can't say I'd feel the same way about $200 tools, and my bolts will be better off for it.

Park aren't the only ones to look at either for quality tools. I believe that Cyclo's workshop range is still produced in England, and they've been good tools too. Sure they're not blue, but they are quality.