All Mountain Tyres

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a 2.5 WT DD Aggressor on the rear and it might just be the perfect rear tyre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
I Just fitted a 2.5 WT Aggressor on the rear also. I am yet to ride it on the trails but it seated tubeless effortlessly. Coming from the 2.3 Aggressor which I was super happy with.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got a forekaster 2.35 on the way to replace the schwable nobby shit on the rear..
Anyone tried the hans dampf in the new addix? I currently have trailstar on the front and it’s now confusing whether to go blue or orange.. Orange seems way more softer than trailstar..

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I bought a blue Addix Hans Dampf to stick on the boy's bike and it does feel tackier to my fingers than my several year older Trailstar compound Dampf. I reckon blue is probably OK for trail riding, go the orange if you want a touch more performance. I recall reading somewhere that Schwalbe recommended an orange on the front and a blue on the rear.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Got a forekaster 2.35 on the way to replace the schwable nobby shit on the rear..
Anyone tried the hans dampf in the new addix? I currently have trailstar on the front and it’s now confusing whether to go blue or orange.. Orange seems way more softer than trailstar..
The new Hans Dampf HS491 looks good or atleastI'm hoping it'll be good. Still waiting on them to become available out of Europe for better pricing.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The new Hans Dampf HS491 looks good or atleastI'm hoping it'll be good. Still waiting on them to become available out of Europe for better pricing.
Yeah it looks a lot beefier.. I’m happy enough with the old tread, hopefully they dump them cheap when the hs491 hit the market..

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mounted up the new 2.35 forekaster on the rear, it’s quite rounded and has a decent bag on 29id rims. Sidewalls feel nice and firm, exo version, and it rolls really well.
Went for a xc ride and hit all the steep techy bits I could find and it performed flawlessly. No slipping on steep climbs with roots and rocks, which is a nice change to the nobby nic.. Trails were damp so it’s hard to know how it will go in the dry, it is a tyre for wetter conditions supposedly..
So far so good, it’s grippy, rolls well and has decent volume... Tick tick tick..Already better than the nobby nic, ardent and rock razor I have tried.. Fingers crossed in the dry..

Last edited:

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Always seem to come back to Minion DH F & R.

I have a few tyres that regularly get purchased again and again. Lots of maxxis it seems. But when push comes to shove, Minion DH are the go.

Just took them off to keep them nice...
(a impending NZ trip means keeping them relatively fresh)..

For now there is a set of Schwalbe Rocket ron and nobby nic on there. Instant 4oo+g saving on the front which was instantly noticeable even when just lifting the bike, coupled with a less noticeable weight loss in the rear.

They feel much lighter, with a noticeable reduction in sidewall support. They will be better on general trailriding, with a smaller window of security when pushing it.

bring on January !!

Petero

Likes Dirt
Hi All, couple of questions,

I've got some 29mm ID rims on the way so looking at tyre combos. Looking to run in the 2.3 to 2.5 width range. Was thinking the old DHR and DHF combo. Noticing that the DHF in 2.5 seems to all be wide trail - how do the wide trail maxxis tyres go on a 29mm ID?

Also ride a lot of loose pea gravel (WA) so other tyre suggestions for the dry slippery summer appreciated.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

I've got some 29mm ID rims on the way so looking at tyre combos. Looking to run in the 2.3 to 2.5 width range. Was thinking the old DHR and DHF combo. Noticing that the DHF in 2.5 seems to all be wide trail - how do the wide trail maxxis tyres go on a 29mm ID?

Also ride a lot of loose pea gravel (WA) so other tyre suggestions for the dry slippery summer appreciated.
29mm id will be fine.

If you plan to stick to Maxxis the F: DHF/R: DHF or Shorty/DHF would work well in pea gravel. See enduro mag roundup here https://enduro-mtb.com/en/the-best-enduro-tire-seven-combos-in-comparison/

I'm keen as musturd to try the Michelin Wild AM/Wild Grip'r combo. These have been getting positive review on RB and on the net.

In Schwalbe the Magic Mary/Nobby Nic combo would have great grip but be a bit slower rolling.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt

2.5" WT DHF 3C Max Terra up front with your rime size (I use 2.3" DHF 3C Max Terra and my mate runs 29" inner with DHF/DHR2 WT). They work great around Kalamunda and the Goat Farm. Rear is really a preference based thing. If you want grip, go a 2.4" WT DHR2, more interested in a bit better roll then look at a 2.5" WT Aggressor. If you want a semi slick for even better roll, grab a Schwalbe 2.35" Rock Razor. I have a 2.4" Ardent on the back of mine and found it works okay around Kalamunda, but in the softer ground at the Goat Farm it is "below par". I'm nursing two injuries from my last trip there, and the lack of rear grip was frightening.