All Mountain Tyres

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Interesting - A long career in politics awaits you in answering questions with a question therefore technically answering the question but offering no substance what so ever to the answer of the question.
I reject the premise of your original question.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Interesting - A long career in politics awaits you in answering questions with a question therefore technically answering the question but offering no substance what so ever to the answer of the question.
An observation on a question with no clear conclusions or advice. It's one of the big four consulting firms for you @Minlak. :p

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Lol I just bought a set of 27.5 wheels to try as every time I looked the smaller tyres were cheaper. Now they’ve all gone up to the same price!
Well not to say that you're the bellwether of the next hot marketing fad - err, sorry - performance trend, but also... :p

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
For anyone interested, Bike Discount have what look like OEM Conti Kryptotal Enduro Soft for both front and rear in stock and at $63

Will post in the bargain thread too

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Just mounted this E13 combo last week. Yet to ride though. Mopo compound feels good.
How did you go @Wake Jake mounting the E13 tyres? Mine arrived today and I fitted the All Terrain on the rear. Fuck me it grappled hard! One broken tyre lever and it's the first tyre that I've admitted defeat fitting with cushcore. Got the tyre fitted without the insert but it was a hell of a struggle getting that last part of the bead on!

EDITED: I thought I had put a Grappler on the rear but it was an 'All Terrain'

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
How did you go @Wake Jake mounting the E13 tyres? Mine arrived today and I fitted the Grappler on the rear. Fuck me it grappled hard! One broken tyre lever and it's the first tyre that I've admitted defeat fitting with cushcore. Got the tyre fitted without the insert but it was a hell of a struggle getting that last part of the bead on!
Are they asymmetrical ?

EDIT: Looks like not.

A tip I took from here is use a hard (normal) bar of soap, rub it around the bead of the tyre and then use some spray soap on top of that and around the rim valley. Those Contis were a nightmare but with plenty of soapy water and the bar of soap rubbed around the rubber tyre bead, they eventually slipped and popped on... tight.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Does anyone have one of those anal bead looking tyre levers? Are they any good (for doing tyres)?
If you watch a video on them, they aren't as much a lever, more a poker for pushing the bead down under the Cush Core and into the rim valley..

I was researching a few weeks back after my Chuntinental problem ;)

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
How did you go @Wake Jake mounting the E13 tyres? Mine arrived today and I fitted the Grappler on the rear. Fuck me it grappled hard! One broken tyre lever and it's the first tyre that I've admitted defeat fitting with cushcore. Got the tyre fitted without the insert but it was a hell of a struggle getting that last part of the bead on!
I have no issues with the E13's or Contis. Don't even need a tyre lever if there's no insert. All easy to fit even with Rimpacts. Mounting on either an EX471 or E13 TRS rims.

kten

I have no issues with the E13's or Contis. Don't even need a tyre lever if there's no insert. All easy to fit even with Rimpacts. Mounting on either an EX471 or E13 TRS rims.
What casing?

Also have you got the grip strength of Brian Shaw?

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Tried the Kryptotal F&R and Xynotal in Enduro Soft. Also the Kryptotal F and Xynotal in Endurance.

Great wear from a 'soft' compound, predictable, durable and loads of grip. Favourite tyres at the moment. Currently on WTBs as Contis are sold out everywhere.
What did you think of the Endurance/Trail variety? Some reviewers love the Trail casing and compare them to an Exo+ (not sure that's true).

kten

Have been reassessing my tyre needs after running a tyre and wheel combo that, according to marketing and the interwebs, should have me feeling every bump and lump and likely skidding off into the bush.

27.5 x 2.4 T7 compound Specialized Purgatory Trail front and rear (cushcore in the rear). The T7 is the slightly harder compound, similar to a Max-terra I guess. My trails are nearly always dry, dusty with loose rocks. The reduction in drag is not massive but it is noticeable. The bike accelerates better out of berms and carries its speed just that little bit better making it easier to hit gaps and make landers so instead of being completely gassed mid run trying to GTFO out berms with brute force right up until take off point I am noticing my speed is just there so no max effort exit pedal is needed. Yes the entry aggression into some corners needs to be tempered as the front grip isn't like velcro (especially hard on the brakes whilst trying to turn) but the reduced effort to get back up to speed more than makes up for it. In short I'm liking the trail tyres and whilst there is no moisture will likely keep using them for my local trails. Race pace needs more knob/softer front compound but for general trail I am impressed.

The 27.5 wheels have been a blast. Jumping is easier....turning the bike in the air easier too. Pretty happy with these wheels tbh.

My 29er wheels are getting put back on with big knobs for Maydena this weekend but when I get back I'll try the trail tyres on the big wheels to see what they're like. Maybe a T9 stickier front.