All Mountain Tyres

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
What Schwalbes do you have? Someone recommended the Tacky Chan Soft Super Trail up front and Hans Dampf Soft Super Trail or even Super Gravity out back. I listened to a podcast (Pinkbike?) about the Tacky Chan and I was impressed that first they're a family business, and secondly they're sourcing fair trade rubber and soon to be recycled rubber.

They're also available at a decent price from ze Germans so it's another option for me to consider when I'm over there.

I know they're not durable in the long run but running XC tyres has me second, third and fourth guessing my choices... I hate having to make exactly the right choice.
That’s the thing with tyres there is no right choice. Each rider is different from terrain to riding style and what they think makes a good tyre. Reviews and opinions give you an idea on a how tyre will work but the crunch is when you use them yourself.

You have to try some and if they don’t work move on and try something else. Issue is tyre pricing is nuts so I have a bit of analysis paralysis on dropping $ then not gelling with them.

Schwalbe durability has come a long way. 1000km on my Magic Mary and just over 500km on the Nobby Nic. I used to get maybe 300 ish before the side knobs would go.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
What Schwalbes do you have? Someone recommended the Tacky Chan Soft Super Trail up front and Hans Dampf Soft Super Trail or even Super Gravity out back. I listened to a podcast (Pinkbike?) about the Tacky Chan and I was impressed that first they're a family business, and secondly they're sourcing fair trade rubber and soon to be recycled rubber.

They're also available at a decent price from ze Germans so it's another option for me to consider when I'm over there.

I know they're not durable in the long run but running XC tyres has me second, third and fourth guessing my choices... I hate having to make exactly the right choice.
I've found the Magic Mary, Hans Dampf combo to work well in most situations. Speedgrip compound for hardpack and rockier situations, Soft in wetter or looser.

The Magic Mary double works well in dust, sand and mud.

Casing depends on what you can get away with but Rimpact inserts allow a lot of leeway for not much weight.

I've found the Vittoria Mazza, Martello to be roughly equivalent with a slightly better and more flexible 4c compound.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
My Argotals, I would place them just above MaxxGrip Assegais by a bees dick. Was a bigger gap until I got the dreaded Cuntywobble. Couldn't believe it.
I reckon the super tight fit puts the bead on the Contis under more stress and this resulted in a bead failure on my rear tyre, causing it to blow out over the rim bead and a completely fucked tyre.

I'm going to make a Cuntywobble video, send it to Continental and BikeComponents, hopefully getting a credit for the price of the tyre.

There is no doubt, in Supersoft DH, they are as grippy a tyre as I've ever experienced.
Haven't heard of this failure before. I haven't had really any trouble mounting these tyres like others have experienced. I'll be vigilant now.

At the moment - Tacky Chan, Nobby Nic and Rock Razor are mounted across two bikes. I have the Tacky Chain in ST Soft on the front and Nobby Nic ST Soft rear. I found the SpeedGrip NN to roll fantastically well but unfortunately flatted on it and had to bin it.

Schwalbe are dirt cheap on R2 and similar German sites so buying bulk is well worthwhile.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Haven't heard of this failure before. I haven't had really any trouble mounting these tyres like others have experienced. I'll be vigilant now.
I was riding with Troy Rarick, the founder of Over the Edge, he said it was quite prevalent during the Mountain King years but thought they had got it sorted, he named it the Cuntywobble... which I was quite partial to :p

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I have/had a set of AM2's, wasn't impressed, #2 son took the bike out after my 2 rides, cut the front in a bottle, sliced it with a 2 inch cut. Tyre dead at 50km. Grip was average for the weight.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I have/had a set of AM2's, wasn't impressed, #2 son took the bike out after my 2 rides, cut the front in a bottle, sliced it with a 2 inch cut. Tyre dead at 50km. Grip was average for the weight.
Seems like a pointless tyre to me . The original wild ams were my go to down country front tyre at 800 grams and quite small and close centre knobs . Very decent rolling tyre.

These new ones are so close to the enduros on paper I don’t see why you wouldn’t just run those instead.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Seems like a pointless tyre to me . The original wild ams were my go to down country front tyre at 800 grams and quite small and close centre knobs . Very decent rolling tyre.

These new ones are so close to the enduros on paper I don’t see why you wouldn’t just run those instead.
Different/firmer durometer rubber than the Enduros maybe? The original Wild AM sure was quick rolling but man it had a snappy (very fast rebounding) casing. Was an decent rear tyre, but the casing made it feel more nervous than it actually was (IMO)

slimjim1

Different/firmer durometer rubber than the Enduros maybe? The original Wild AM sure was quick rolling but man it had a snappy (very fast rebounding) casing. Was an decent rear tyre, but the casing made it feel more nervous than it actually was (IMO)
Now that you mention it , they did ping pretty hard when you’d clip the side of a root or rock.

slimjim1

Riding a 2.5 Hutchinson Griffus on the front now which is obviously heavier and slower, but boy these things are plush and quiet. Super smooth tyre.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Gotta give a plug to the WTB Verdict tyres. I just did three mostly dry days at Maydena with a high grip, light casing front and a high grip, tough casing rear (with cushcore) and they have been flawless. What's even more surprising is the lack of wear. Most others in the group were on Maxxis maxx grip and terra and their tyres are smoked. These are barely worn!

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Gotta give a plug to the WTB Verdict tyres. I just did three mostly dry days at Maydena with a high grip, light casing front and a high grip, tough casing rear (with cushcore) and they have been flawless. What's even more surprising is the lack of wear. Most others in the group were on Maxxis maxx grip and terra and their tyres are smoked. These are barely worn!
Definitely want to give the verdict a go at some stage,they look like they have less of the channel that I didn't get along with on the DHF