All Mountain Tyres

Hoffa02

Likes Bikes
I have had quite a few combinations throughout the years but I think the below is great. Lots of grip and easily run low pressures as tubeless. No loss of air, both tyres seal really well.

Front - Bontrager SE4 Team issue 2.35 (29 PSI)
Rear - high roller 2.3 (33 PSI)

I have found this combination to really great from all mountain to downhill. Although the bontrager is heavy, the seal and strength of the sidewall is brilliant

Last edited:

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
Trying to decide on 2.3 DHF's or DHR2's (front & rear)for the 6" bike. I have a pair of DHR2's in a DH casing that go on for shuttle days which worked well pretty much all year round, and were preferable to the DHF's that I had on before (supported hard cornering a bit better and braked heaps better)

Weight is the same, price is (almost) the same, although I'm not sure if the DHR will roll slower. I'm most likely overthinking this, but would appreciate some advice all the same.

fedor346

Likes Dirt
Go dhr2.
I have them on my 2013 reign front and rear. Very planted, decent wet and dry, faster than hr2 and more consistent. Not sure how they compare to dhf 3c but heaps faster than the st version.
Cheers
Gav

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
Cheers Gav. Were yours the 3C version? I'm gonna go for the dual compound, which i believe are a little harder.

fedor346

Likes Dirt
Yeah 3c exo tr. Go the dual for rear. 3c is nice for front. Still works for rear i heard dual compound is faster and yeah should last longer too.

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
I'm getting them from pushys as they sell a 4 pack pretty cheap. so it'll end up being 4 of the dual compounds. thanks for your help!
that's why i wanted to get it right, buying four of a tyre that doesn't suit would suck...

madstace

Likes Dirt
Yeah 3c exo tr. Go the dual for rear. 3c is nice for front. Still works for rear i heard dual compound is faster and yeah should last longer too.
+1 on this setup for the DHR2s. Running it on my SB66 and have been impressed with the balance between grip and rolling resistance. Went for the 2.3s as the 2.4s are a bit heavy, but even the 2.3s have a nice size to them, they're quite tall which adds a nice bit of volume. The only thing I've found they don't like so far is pea gravel over hardpack, everything else they seem to grip really well.

jlombard

Cannon Fodder
Tyres

I am running Kenda Nevegal 2.35 front and 2.2 Schwalbe Nobby Nic performance on the rear.

I don't care what people say about them I really like the Nevegal. Strong sidewall and good wear resistance. They hook up well when i lean the bike over and are great in the wet.

The Nobby Nic I like in DRY conditions. It slides predicibly on the rear although it doesnt like to be leaned over hard. I also have to run more pressure in the rear due to the thin sidewalls.
( I am a small guy. I run about 33/34 in the Nobby Nic)

In the wet the Nobby Nic is useless. unless you're going in a straight line it is rubbish. Poor braking as well.

If i know it is wet i swap out the rear for another Nevegal.

Nevegal Pros: - Grippy, Good sidewalls, Long Lasting, Corners well Nevegal Cons : - Heavy tyre, Slow rolling on hardpack

Nobby Nic Pros: - reasonably fast rolling, Light weight, predictable in dry conditions Nobby Nic Cons : - Useless in the wet. Period, Soft weak sidewalls, Price

Bike is a 2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT

stirk

Burner
looks like a faster rolling DHR2. have read of some people trying with good feedback. ideal for summer perhaps?
I've only found one forum with comments which said they are a great tyre in the dry but a bit slippery in the wet. I don't mind the rear to be loose (sounds dirty butt is not intentional) in the dry but not when trail is wet.

fedor346

Likes Dirt
I've only found one forum with comments which said they are a great tyre in the dry but a bit slippery in the wet. I don't mind the rear to be loose (sounds dirty butt is not intentional) in the dry but not when trail is wet.
Yeah the guys on mtbr love it so far apparently an improvement on the ardent in every way.

teK--

Eats Squid
There is a tomahawk thread on mtbr after reading it all I'm inclined to stick to dhr2 but that is due to the trails I ride loose even in summer.

stirk

Burner
There is a tomahawk thread on mtbr after reading it all I'm inclined to stick to dhr2 but that is due to the trails I ride loose even in summer.
Really, I didn't see it, I'll pick my search skills out of the bin where I left them, thanks.

I'm replacing OEM Ardents. Based on other peoples preferred choices here I'll run HR2 on the front, rear I'm initially going with Ardent 3C exo but the Tomahawk does 'look' good as a rear tire if I'm only riding firetrail that day.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Really, I didn't see it, I'll pick my search skills out of the bin where I left them, thanks.

I'm replacing OEM Ardents. Based on other peoples preferred choices here I'll run HR2 on the front, rear I'm initially going with Ardent 3C exo but the Tomahawk does 'look' good as a rear tire if I'm only riding firetrail that day.
I like the look of the Tomahawk for a rear, will definitely give it a go when the Ardent needs replacing, maybe earlier.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
ooh yeah, i need a tomahawk rear for when the Ikon gets a bit too slippery.
i want to try the new Minion SS, but Maxxis are only producing them in 27.5" and 29"... wankers.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
i want to try the new Minion SS, but Maxxis are only producing them in 27.5" and 29"... wankers.
Fuck it I'm buying one right now before they run out of stock :behindsofa:

Z

Zaf

Friggen stooges!!!
It's okay, I'll grab some for my Stumpy, but that tyre would be Primo for the Sb66.