All Mountain Tyres

jrewing

Eats Squid
run crossmarks backwards on the front. the mid channel ramped knob bites when leaning over instead over rolling over the ramped knob. Way more grip.

keep it normal on the back cause that mid knob grips when the wheel is locked.

Shane-O

Likes Bikes
I recently started running Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 LUST up front... have had a Spec Captain out back (s-works + tube... had it laying around from when my bike was new, so gave it a run). Also have run the captains front/rear, and cossmark rear/captain front.

I liked the Ignitor up front - have been running it tubeless on Mavic Crossmax ST's. Super easy to seal with a hand pump, and I run it at 22-25psi! I'm about 84kg's with gear. Not sure if it will soften with some use, so the psi will go up a bit. The 2.35 is also a bit small for the size... the bag is almost the same as the 2.1 Crossmark, the tread is a bit wider.

So - thought I would give the Ignitor 2.1 LUST a run on the rear - mounted it a couple of nights ago, and man is it small for the size!! In fact, it is tiny. I haven't even riden on it and I don't like it.

Think I will go back to a Spec Captain Control 2bliss rear, maybe a 2.2 this time... and would like to try the Purgatory 2.4 out front (at some stage)...

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I liked the Ignitor up front - have been running it tubeless on Mavic Crossmax ST's. Super easy to seal with a hand pump, and I run it at 22-25psi! I'm about 84kg's with gear. Not sure if it will soften with some use, so the psi will go up a bit. The 2.35 is also a bit small for the size... the bag is almost the same as the 2.1 Crossmark, the tread is a bit wider.

So - thought I would give the Ignitor 2.1 LUST a run on the rear - mounted it a couple of nights ago, and man is it small for the size!! In fact, it is tiny. I haven't even riden on it and I don't like it.
I like the 2.35" Ignitor except they are very small. I'd love an Ignitor of a similar size to a 2.25" Ardent using the Super Tacky compound and LUST sidewall!

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ikon update

Have been using the ikon exo for a while now as a rear (ardent front). It's a super tyre in dry/medium conditions, really quick and grippy but it's hopeless when if hits mud. Anything sticky and it doesn't clear itself at all - it cakes up and continues gathering mud until it inevitably clogs against the frame Not overly surprising but worth noting if you want to give them a try.

On another, I just swapped the Ikon on the rear over to a 2.35 Ignitor, and it's smaller (narrower & shorter) than the 2.25exo Ardent on the front - both on stans flow rims.

anybody know of a place in oz to get maxxis ignitors' in a 29x2.1/2.2 or similar? I've tried CRC online, TBSM and a few others, but no one seems to carry them.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
anybody know of a place in oz to get maxxis ignitors' in a 29x2.1/2.2 or similar? I've tried CRC online, TBSM and a few others, but no one seems to carry them.
Try moruyabicycles.com.au. These guys do some great deals on maxxis tyres (often cheaper than CRC). If they don't have them, it's possible they're not currently being imported or produced.

Last edited:

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Comparison of Ardent/Ignitor
As the full size pics show from this mornings lazy ride across some wet grass the Ignitor tends to hold mud (not overly thrilled with it's performance). It spun out rather quickly any time I put the foot down on mud and compacted earth climbing out of creek crossings. On the other hand the Ardent clears well and doesn't hold/pick up as much to begin with (even when used on the rear). Despite this the Ignitor 'felt' faster than an Ardent on the rear (the reason I took the rear ardent off is it felt as slow as a nevegal on the rear).

My thoughts on Ignitors: they remind me how good High Rollers are. As for the Ardent (2.25 exo) - great tyre on the front for all conditions to date, slow on the rear.

Mounted on Flow rims, size across the carcass of the Ardent is 5.7cm (Bottom pics - 30psi), the Ignitor is 5.3cm (Top Pics - 40psi), across the lugs it's a little wider just shy of 5.6cm, the ardent is 5.8 (not shown).

Given the Ardent is "2.25" (2.28" actual) and the Ignitor is "2.35" (2.20" actual), the Ardent is the wider of the two event at 3/4 of the pressure -go figure.

Last edited:

>moto<

Likes Bikes
I hope this is the right place to ask, apologies if not a mod can delete. I have just bought a 2011 Giant Reign 1 which comes with Kenda Nevegal, Stick-E front & DTC rear, 26 x 2.35's.

I see most people categorize tyres into terrain and not necessarily area. I ride Ourimbah the most which is a mix of rutted trails, mud and rocks. Will these tyres be any good for this tyre of terrain or should I just pick ones here that most others like and give them a try?

I don't find the stock tyres bad, only had 1 ride on them though. That said, if there is a better tyre suited to the terrain I would consider swapping.

Thanks,

Steve

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
Big fan of the Nevegals. Currently running 2.35 front and rear, ride an extremely rooty track with the odd rocky section. Works a treat.

Daneel

Likes Dirt
Moto/Steve: Yes, this is the right place to ask :) welcome aboard!

I have practically the same bike (the reign 2, not the 1) with the same tires and have to say they perform quite well in all areas you mentioned. The only reason I can see for changing them out for other tyres is if you plan on using the bike for more cross-country style riding, or if you find them a bit heavy. I'm pretty happy with them overall, although I'm still learning to trust the grip on the front. They climb on loose material and over rocks extremely well.

If anything, give the standard tyres a fair trial, then if you find that they perform poorly on a particular piece of terrain then come back and ask about that - we can give a specific recommendation for that terrain that might suit better.

Best of luck, and congratulations on the new bike :)

>moto<

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the helpful responses guys, I'll keep the Nevegals and give them a good run, I'm sure they are far more capable than I am!:p

>moto<

Likes Bikes
Okay so I had another ride of the bike and we did some fire trail stuff too. I found the bike a reasonable amount slower than my old Fuel Ex with lots of carbon, no surprise there really.

I'm just getting back into MTB after a long break and my fitness is, well, diabolical:eek: Down the hills, no problem the Reign rips and I'm loving it. Up the hills I'm currently pushing the bike up 50% of the time! :p

Anyway, I'm thinking about trying to reduce some rolling weight to help my fat ass get along until I'm a bit fitter and can throw the Nevegals back on. The bike shop told me to run 38psi which I am, I would die if it was any harder to pedal and don't think raising the pressure up any more is going to help.

I was thinking of a racing Ralph 2.25 on the rear, but what tyre would suggest for the front that will save me some weight? Nobby Nic 2.25? I weigh 100Kg but I will be riding (to start of with at least) the same trails as I used to ride my very light XC set-up with 2.1 Igniters and XC rims so am not so fussed about losing a bit of durability that the Nevegals may provide.

I'm even considering lighter rims now too like the Stans with Hope pro's!

Lastly, has anyone used the Stans No Tubes liquid to seal the standard Reign DT Swiss E540 rims? From what I've researched here the rim shape seems to play a big part in going 'ghetto UST'.

Cheers for any help in advance.

Steve

Last edited:

FuelXC

Likes Bikes
A lot of people in melbourne I know run a rocket ron up front and a ralph in the back. You might also look at the hans dampf (if you can find one). I am holding out for the hans over the nic. there is a mob local that has the entry level nics for $35 if you want to give them a try.

Shane-O

Likes Bikes
Steve - if you are pushing up 50% of the trails... maybe just give yourself some time to get fit. I can't see that changing tyres will get you up the hills dude.

As my (ex) boss would say - suck it up princess!

(na, wasn't very motivating for me either)

S.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Moto, coming from a 90kg rider (was 100kg), on a reign I went down the same road. Get fit on the nevegals - they have spades of rolling resistance so make the most of it by getting fit.
Hope Pro SP with Flow rims are a good wheel. I've gone through a number of tyres working out combo's that I like. I take it there would be a lot of similarity between you and I in the way you ride given the bike, weight, how much you walk, .... etc. I throw the reign at everything and believe the 6" of travel is there to soak up the gnarly stuff, so picking lines to avoid hits isn't how I roll. Below is what I found works / doesn't (all under 2.35 wide).
Nevegals are grippy on the down hill but they are possibly the slowest thing you could use. On kenda surpises, small block 8 on the rear, nev on the front is ok (faster) so long as it's not mud/clay.
Maxxis high rollers work well on the reign (front and rear) and are easy to turn over, possibly also even better than the nevs downhill. Ikons are a brilliant rear in dry/semi dry but clog with mud in the wet. Ardents are brilliant on the front - I find them better than high rollers but are slow on the rear under 90+kg. OI found ardent front, ikon or high roller rear a good combo. I've tried a few others like the larsen and ignitors, but never liked them so they never got more than one ride. I recently rode on some nobby nics and I was so impressed that I've eaten my own words of never buying them as they are overpriced, but it seems the old adage is true - you get what you pay for (except they are way overpriced locally - shop around)

Science

Likes Dirt
I recently started running Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 LUST up front... have had a Spec Captain out back (s-works + tube... had it laying around from when my bike was new, so gave it a run). Also have run the captains front/rear, and cossmark rear/captain front.

Think I will go back to a Spec Captain Control 2bliss rear, maybe a 2.2 this time... and would like to try the Purgatory 2.4 out front (at some stage)...
I too am using the 2.35 LUST ignitor on my hardtail. love em everywhere, from the bush to the ride to work.
But speaking of tiny tires, i have a Maxxis Mobster laying about in a 2.1, and it's microscopic. Drives through mud like a champ though

cobby

Likes Bikes
Any thoughts on Panaracer tyres? I replaced a damage 2.35" Nevegal on the rear with a Panaracer Rampage 2.35" without much research just because it was cheap. Only one ride and it seemed ok and the tread seems pretty similar to the Nevegal. Don't know how long it will last but it's just temporary.

madstace

Likes Dirt
Any thoughts on Panaracer tyres? I replaced a damage 2.35" Nevegal on the rear with a Panaracer Rampage 2.35" without much research just because it was cheap. Only one ride and it seemed ok and the tread seems pretty similar to the Nevegal. Don't know how long it will last but it's just temporary.
cobby, how have you found the rolling resistance between the two (I know, tough question after one ride)? From what I could find on various forums, they seem to be very similar but with the rampage having a considerable amount less rolling resistance. Haven't run them myself, but god am I glad I got rid of the Nevego's. Just replaced my Advantages (which were great but getting a bit worn) with new Spesh Purgatory 2.4s. Haven't had a lot of time on them, but they seem to have most of the good traits of the advantages but with slightly better rolling resistance. Bit lighter too which is nice.

cobby

Likes Bikes
cobby, how have you found the rolling resistance between the two (I know, tough question after one ride)? From what I could find on various forums, they seem to be very similar but with the rampage having a considerable amount less rolling resistance. Haven't run them myself, but god am I glad I got rid of the Nevego's. Just replaced my Advantages (which were great but getting a bit worn) with new Spesh Purgatory 2.4s. Haven't had a lot of time on them, but they seem to have most of the good traits of the advantages but with slightly better rolling resistance. Bit lighter too which is nice.
Yea it's hard to say in comparison, but it didn't feel too resistant (though my knowledge is limited). I haven't measured them, but they to don't appear as wide as the Nevegals (though both state 2.35"). I'll be sure to confirm this on the weekend.