All Mountain Tyres

Ivan

Eats Squid
Has anyone seen any good specials at the moment?

I am looking for a 2.3-2.4" tubeless or tubeless ready tyre for the front. It's replacing a Conti 2.4" Mountain King UST that I found to be good for cornering but a bit slow rolling. The tyre has now worn into a square-ish shape, so time to try something new.

I was going to try an Ardent EXO 2.4 but they don't seem to exist anymore. :noidea:

Last edited:

lb1

Likes Bikes
I got some High Roller II's from Pushy's in 2.3 tubeless EXO casing for about $30 each the other day. Love this tyre, maybe a little heavy, but man it has grip.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Last edited:

BT180

Max Pfaff
Yeah, I'd normally get a single ply Minion, but I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with the Hans.

lewis84 lewis84

Likes Dirt
I'm interested as well. I currently have smart Sam's front and rear in 2.1, but want to swap the front out for a Hans in the 2.35. For just over $100 is it justifiable considering I could buy 2 maxxis for the same ish coin?
Cheers, Chris

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 4

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
specialized the captian/purgatory

fark - zero points for context sensitivity here, talking specialized in the middle of a hans dampf mutual appreciation session :)

F: Specialized purgatory control, 2.3, 2bliss
R: Specialized the captain control, 2.2, 2bliss

mounted to Stan's flow (not EX) with stan's yellow tape (no rim strip)

setup: a breeze. fit tyre leaving a small gap, pour in stans, inflate with a hand pump, ride.

initial impressions: a lot lighter than the michi tubeless tyres I was using! probably took close to half a kg off the bike (using my calibrated hands as scales). The captain 2.2 is fat - as wide as the purgatory 2.3 on front. Probably could have got away with the captain 2.0.

on the trail (riding 'AM' trails at fox ck, adelaide): confidence in a bottle, and reasonably fast with the captain on the back. The captain holds on tight in back, really needs a some good man action to slide. No obvious signs of damage after two long laps at fox ck and lots of rocky rockness. I like. A lot.

I paid retail in a bike shop after farfing around for ages looking for cheap tyres. cost $110/pair, plus the ten bucks for blackout and a white marker so I could write hans dampf on the side ;)

Last edited:

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm interested as well. I currently have smart Sam's front and rear in 2.1, but want to swap the front out for a Hans in the 2.35. For just over $100 is it justifiable considering I could buy 2 maxxis for the same ish coin?
Cheers, Chris

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 4
Just get a Hans off wiggle for $70

muvro

Likes Dirt
I'm sporting the Performance series Hans front and rear and I really like them. They certainly suit the the trails I ride, sandstone, sandy hard pack etc.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
How about performance series hans on the rear and the pacestars on the front?

Should be a good balance of grip and the rear should wear pretty well as it's a harder compound

Anyone worried about weight, make sure you keep to the 2.25 - there is a big difference in weight between the 2.25 and 2.35 schwalbe s .

Likes Bikes
How about performance series hans on the rear and the pacestars on the front?

Should be a good balance of grip and the rear should wear pretty well as it's a harder compound

Anyone worried about weight, make sure you keep to the 2.25 - there is a big difference in weight between the 2.25 and 2.35 schwalbe s .
how is the side grip on those in the loose stuff?

I just got a new bike with 2.25 Ardent rear and 2.4 Mountain King on front, have noticed there is significantly less side grip at Glenrock than the 2.35 Nevegals i had on the old bike

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I currently have Nobby Nics on my '14 Trance. Loving them but surprised at how quickly the rear is wearing. Maybe it's the dry conditions, maybe it's my riding style. When I do replace would be keen to get them again or maybe change (suggestions? 2.3 - 2.4 bag, willing to go fast rolling on the rear and grippy on the front) .. Also looking to go tubeless. It is all a mystery to me at the moment, could someone explain to me what the preferred method is and what tires are most compatible?

BT180

Max Pfaff
Anyone using the Minion DHR on the back for AM riding? If so, is the intended rotational direction good for climbing or is it better to mount it backwards? What's the rolling resistance like when mounted backwards?

I guess I'll find out myself after my first ride, but keen to see what others have found.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
So I currently have Nobby Nics on my '14 Trance. Loving them but surprised at how quickly the rear is wearing. Maybe it's the dry conditions, maybe it's my riding style. When I do replace would be keen to get them again or maybe change (suggestions? 2.3 - 2.4 bag, willing to go fast rolling on the rear and grippy on the front) .. Also looking to go tubeless. It is all a mystery to me at the moment, could someone explain to me what the preferred method is and what tires are most compatible?
google is your friend! there are many ways - all of which involve sealing the rims (gorilla tape, stans tape, stans strips, split tubes.. maybe more - unicorn horn powder mixed with yeti fart juice?), add tyres, add sealant, set bead, inflate. as for tyres, depends on if you're lazy (go tubeless ready, or actual tubeless), or a weight weenie (any tyre, but prepare for a pain the arse to set up).

have fun! tubeless is goodness, its not hard really.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Use the Gorilla Tape. Easiest, cheapest and most effective method i reckon and ive tried everything over the years.
For tyres theres plenty of options. Like you said stick to a fast rolling on the rear and a grippier on the front.
Im currently using a 2.25 Ardent on the rear, and a 2.4 Highroller 2 Exo on the front. I tend to do quiet a bit dh on my bike still as well, so the extra grip on the front is nice to have. Both setup up tubeless.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Use the Gorilla Tape. Easiest, cheapest and most effective method i reckon and ive tried everything over the years.
For tyres theres plenty of options. Like you said stick to a fast rolling on the rear and a grippier on the front.
Im currently using a 2.25 Ardent on the rear, and a 2.4 Highroller 2 Exo on the front. I tend to do quiet a bit dh on my bike still as well, so the extra grip on the front is nice to have. Both setup up tubeless.
How do ardents go on hard packed soil?
And what is the actual advantage of tubeless... Self sealing punctures no?

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
And what is the actual advantage of tubeless... Self sealing punctures no?
sort of - I've had mixed luck there with sidewall tears and holes. But - I have not had a pinch flat in ages, which is a massive win. And I actually felt the bike get easier to handle - less rolling weight (a bit) and lower pressures - so a more compliant grippier ride.

I did have some trouble with burping non-tubeless tyres on non-tubeless rims, but they were probably too wide (2.3 tyres on 19mm inside width rim). Now using specialized captain control on the back (fast), and purgatory on the front (grippy), on wide rims (stans flow) with stans tape.