All Mountain Tyres

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
currently running a 2.3 TR EXO HR2 up front with a 2.25 TR EXO Ardent in the rear. it's a glorious setup.
Same set up here, very nice combo. Just swpapped out from magic mary / rock razor combo, I think the maxxis setup is really good for general riding, while the schwalbe needs to be ridden more aggressive to get the most out of it - I'd be swapping back to this combo for shuttle days.

by the way... why are everyone running hr2 on the front.. why not just use a minion??? surely better and not much difference in weight
weights are the same, HR2 feels like it rolls better and I prefer how it corners compared to the Minion, just kind of subjective personal opinion - I own both, rarely use the minion.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Same set up here, very nice combo. Just swpapped out from magic mary / rock razor combo, I think the maxxis setup is really good for general riding, while the schwalbe needs to be ridden more aggressive to get the most out of it - I'd be swapping back to this combo for shuttle days.

weights are the same, HR2 feels like it rolls better and I prefer how it corners compared to the Minion, just kind of subjective personal opinion - I own both, rarely use the minion.
i agree. both are great tyres (at least, i've used the older minion DHF single ply, not sure if it's been updated?), but for general riding the HR2 seems to tick all the right boxes.

that said, the ardent/hr2 is the first setup i've run tubeless, that is probably adding to my love for the combo as well.

Beej1

(at least, i've used the older minion DHF single ply, not sure if it's been updated?)
Not that I know of. I thought they'd only done the rear (aptly named DHR II).

Anyone know of a Maxxis tyre, 29in, similar width to Ardent 2.4 (I'm not sure on which Maxxis tyres are 'real width' and which are not), which comes in a UST or dual-ply casing? Currently running a 29 x 2.4 EXO on my Mason HT and have the same problems I described earlier with squirm. I've got a Minion UST lined up for my 26in bike, but struggling to find a 29in tyre from Maxxis that fits the bill. Prefer to stick with Maxxis due to irrational "I'm never getting not-Maxxis tyres mantra" which resulted from every other brand I've tried resulting in more flats, more wipeouts, shitter rides and other anecdotal evidence like this.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Not that I know of. I thought they'd only done the rear (aptly named DHR II).

Anyone know of a Maxxis tyre, 29in, similar width to Ardent 2.4 (I'm not sure on which Maxxis tyres are 'real width' and which are not), which comes in a UST or dual-ply casing? Currently running a 29 x 2.4 EXO on my Mason HT and have the same problems I described earlier with squirm. I've got a Minion UST lined up for my 26in bike, but struggling to find a 29in tyre from Maxxis that fits the bill. Prefer to stick with Maxxis due to irrational "I'm never getting not-Maxxis tyres mantra" which resulted from every other brand I've tried resulting in more flats, more wipeouts, shitter rides and other anecdotal evidence like this.
maxxis make a 29x2.5 dual ply minion DHF, 29x2.3 dual ply DHR 2 and a 29x2.3 dual ply HR 2

SDA

Likes Dirt
Minion DHR 2 EXO TR works well on the front. I chose it over the HR2 because it has a slightly rounder profile and has Minion side knobs. Appears the DHR 2 is better for hard pack, whereas HR2 is for loose. Although i am yet to try the HR2 - so I can't confirm.

Last edited:

Beej1

Recently just bought Minion 29 x 2.5 from mountainbikes - 29 x 2.5", Dual Compound, EXO TR

http://www.mountainbikesdirect.com.au/maxxis-minion-dhf-front-tyre

Haven't ridden on it much yet but will be putting it through its paces at Mt Buller this weekend.
Not a DH casing (2 ply) or UST so prob not what I'm looking for in terms of my squirm issues, but will be interested to hear how you go.

Obviously I could just lose 20kg and it would probably help said tyre squirm issue immensely (as well as be healthier, fit into old clothes etc). But that reeks of effort.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Minion DHR 2 EXO TR works well on the front. I chose it over the HR2 because it has a slightly rounder profile and has Minion side knobs. Appears the DHR 2 is better for hard pack, whereas HR2 is for loose. Although i am yet to try the HR2 - so I can't confirm.
Out of interest, have you, or can you weigh your DHR 2? Or has anyone else weighed this tyre? Maxxis claim on their website it is 90g+ lighter than a DHF or Highroller 2 of equivalent spec.

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
Out of interest, have you, or can you weigh your DHR 2? Or has anyone else weighed this tyre? Maxxis claim on their website it is 90g+ lighter than a DHF or Highroller 2 of equivalent spec.

Yep can confirm this. 26" exo 3c 2.3 bang on the claimed weight of 720g. Ive weighed a few of them

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^cheers, that's awesome. Any insight into how they perform on the front compared to a DHF or HR 2?

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Not a DH casing (2 ply) or UST so prob not what I'm looking for in terms of my squirm issues, but will be interested to hear how you go.
According to the Maxxis website the 29er DHF doesn’t come is the LUST / UST casing, just single ply (TR / Exo) and dual ply (TR).

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-468-121-minion-dhf

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-302-122-minion-dhf

Pushys have the both the single ply and DH casings.

Currently have the single ply 3C version on the front and was surprised at how well it rolls for genuine AM tyre. Decent bag on it but not sure if it is a full 2.5 on my internal 23mm rims (might still have some stretch in it).

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
^^cheers, that's awesome. Any insight into how they perform on the front compared to a DHF or HR 2?
Haven't ridden the HR 2 and I've only ridden the DHF in a 2.5 Dual Ply ST so probably not a fair comparison - but they're very very similar to the DHF.

Wish I could get a 2.5 TR version for the front, as the 2.3 isn't quite beefy enough.

DJR

Likes Dirt
Very similar to dhf in cornering and braking, less drift than the high roller, rolls a bit better than a dhf as it has ramped centre knobs. Not a bad front tyre for a "rear specific tyre"

billymtb

Likes Dirt
Love my dhr 2 on the front, I have tried both minion dhf and high roller 2 on the front. High roller 2 was just so draggy, good grip but the rolling resistance is too high for me. DHF was good, good rolling resistance and good grip, but braking traction was desired.

DHR2 great grip, great braking and the rolling resistance really surprised me being lower than what I expected.

make sure you cut the dhr2 if its going on the front, refer to blister gear reviews.

DJR

Likes Dirt
Love my dhr 2 on the front, I have tried both minion dhf and high roller 2 on the front. High roller 2 was just so draggy, good grip but the rolling resistance is too high for me. DHF was good, good rolling resistance and good grip, but braking traction was desired.

DHR2 great grip, great braking and the rolling resistance really surprised me being lower than what I expected.

make sure you cut the dhr2 if its going on the front, refer to blister gear reviews.
Did you get a big difference cutting the dhr2, seems like a lot of work to make it look like the hr2 with minion side knobs (L shaped)

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i think MWI had a rock razor try kill him...

as he mentioned though, it looks like a tyre you need to ride aggressively. if you're not committed to getting it right over on the side knobs, then you've basically riding an XC tyre... certainly not for the girly riders such as myself!