All Mountain Tyres

stirk

Burner
Aggressor on the front with something even faster on the back a go or nah??
Just finished a 50km ride with a new Aggresor on the rear, HRII up front and found this combo had so much grip. It's a great rear tyre but harder to push compared to the tomahawk I've been using for the past year. I'll put a tomahawk back on the rear and try the Aggresor up front as I think it will be just as good as the HRII up front and hopefully easier to push.

I am sick with a head cold which could explain why I found it harder to push than the tomahawk, hell a pair of ardent race today would have been hard to push

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Specialized compound is very different- had to run more air and thinner sidewalls and they weren't as large. Purg is a great tyre for the weight and cost but not in the same league as the German Super rubber.
Just ordered a 2.35 Nobby Nic Trailstar, going with a 2.25 Racing Ralph Pacestar for the rear. Excited to try this German super rubber.

Delazy

Got a new bike!
Just finished a 50km ride with a new Aggresor on the rear, HRII up front and found this combo had so much grip. It's a great rear tyre but harder to push compared to the tomahawk I've been using for the past year. I'll put a tomahawk back on the rear and try the Aggresor up front as I think it will be just as good as the HRII up front and hopefully easier to push.

I am sick with a head cold which could explain why I found it harder to push than the tomahawk, hell a pair of ardent race today would have been hard to push
ran a DHR2 with an aggressor on my norco sight at derby a couple weeks back...torrential rain and slick trails yet barely any issues...

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Currently using a Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph combo on my 29er Stumpy. Have previously used them as a combo in 26 guise and was not overly impressed. So far I am very happy with them with the current dry condition of the regions trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slimjim1

Currently using a Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph combo on my 29er Stumpy. Have previously used them as a combo in 26 guise and was not overly impressed. So far I am very happy with them with the current dry condition of the regions trails.
Nice, that the new version of the NN or the old one?

Olie1584

Likes Dirt
Definitely looking for a new rear to replace my minion SS, it's getting a bit sketchy now that the tiny centre knobs have worn down.

The speed is amazeballs, but no grip unless you have it leaned over. Thinking of giving the aggressor a go since people on here seem to rate it.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Definitely looking for a new rear to replace my minion SS, it's getting a bit sketchy now that the tiny centre knobs have worn down.

The speed is amazeballs, but no grip unless you have it leaned over. Thinking of giving the aggressor a go since people on here seem to rate it.
how long did your ss last mate? I have one I've been meaning to bust out, but currently have a dhr2 on the back and have found it surprisingly efficient for a fairly chunky tyre. Great combo with hr2 up front.

Z

Zaf

how long did your ss last mate? I have one I've been meaning to bust out, but currently have a dhr2 on the back and have found it surprisingly efficient for a fairly chunky tyre. Great combo with hr2 up front.
My Minion SS's only get about 600km before the side knobs are fairly gouged out.
Think the lack of intermediary tread kind of puts load all on those knobs, causes them to wear fairly quickly. Great tyre though.

GRPABT1

Likes Dirt
Those that like the aggressor but wish it had more volume try the WTB Breakout 2.5, basically the same tread design. Be warned, it is massive for a 2.5. It only just fits in the rear of my Altitude and probably would jam up in thick mud. Grips, rolls and lasts awesome though, best rear tyre I've had. I use the TCS Tough Fast Rolling version.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
its not you - its me

I believe I asked why you lot ride 1 kg tyres. i can now see why. Its all about the side wall thickness and the ability to run lower pressures without folding/burping. This is most important when you are 100+kgs and jump like a water buffalo.

I discovered this going from XC Specialized tyres to Maxis XC tyres on 19mm internal rims. World of difference and I can run 10 psi less with the Maxxis. Then another jump up to 2.35 Schwalbes on 25mm rims- 10 psi less again.

Tell me- can my XC rims (19mm internal) run 2.3 tyres or am I pushing it.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Tell me- can my XC rims (19mm internal) run 2.3 tyres or am I pushing it.
You can run 2.3 on 19mm.

I went from 19mm to 24mm internal with (2.3 & 2.35 tyres) and I haven't noticed a world of difference in my performance, I didn't smash any of my strava times on trails that I have ridden for years but I can say the ride feels nicer and plusher. Most of my riding was on 19mm rims that were UST so that might help keep the tyre on a bit better.

1 you get a little more side wall flex but you seem to compensate for it with your riding. On the tight switchbacks I could feel the rear tyre squirm really bad.

2 you end up running higher pressures.

3 tyres sit on the rim with a more rounded profile and ride differently not necessarily worse.

4 on some rims it's easier to burp the tyres.

Last edited:

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt

slimjim1

The brand new ralph I have sitting here looks the same as that, so I'm guessing you have the latest version.

I had the same experience as you but with the Specialized purgatory. Didn't like it on narrow 26 rims, would always have to go to a minion to get the grip I wanted. But on 29 and wide rims its a much better grippier tyre and I really like it. In saying that I'm about to slap this new Nic and Ralph on there for a bit of testing.