AM shorts nicks things - help out a newb

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So ive finllay got my leg over a AM bike and off the DH bike and rode 30km on the weekend and now have a sore ass.

i hate the idea of lycra but man, i need some help. what do you guys wear for down below to keep the saddle sore at bay?

moorey

call me Mia
So ive finllay got my leg over a AM bike and off the DH bike and rode 30km on the weekend and now have a sore ass.

i hate the idea of lycra but man, i need some help. what do you guys wear for down below to keep the saddle sore at bay?
I have padded boxer type things under baggy shorts for anything over a 50km trail ride. The endura gear with clip in and out liners are good also.
Resist the Lycra, my friend.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
cheap torpedo 7 stuff has always kept my ass reasonably happy, i got a set of fox shorts on special once which are a little nicer i guess but i wouldn't pay much extra for it. i've used a couple of inner shorts that use the mesh rather than lycra but they've quickly been shelved or binned in favor of the lycra, its just nicer.

scblack

Leucocholic
I wear basic knicks with a chamois, under (MTB) shorts. I've never worn them under before, as I only rode DH before but now I have a AM bike I'm pedalling further.

I find the lycra reduces chafing, as the covering over the upper leg is good.

Edit there - as others have said, I mean MTB shorts, not just plain old shorts. I mostly wear mid weight Keewee MTB shorts.

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I have padded boxer type things under baggy shorts for anything over a 50km trail ride. The endura gear with clip in and out liners are good also.
Resist the Lycra, my friend.
ooooh, so manly, i'm swooning over here :love:

:bounce:

ClintC

Likes Dirt
so im feeling padded under lycra then some normal shorts?
This is what I do. Good set of bib knicks under Fox Ranger shorts. I just did this for cape to cape without any issues.

I will say there is a lot of difference between $50 knicks and $150 ones, but only if you do fairly long rides.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Get some decent, middle of the range knicks and wear them under some MTB shorts. You'll be comfortable AND stylish at the same time.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Get some decent, middle of the range knicks and wear them under some MTB shorts. You'll be comfortable AND stylish at the same time.
+1

I have a bit of a gut so I find the elastic in Knicks can get uncomfortable so I made the switch to bib Knicks.

Then throw some baggy's over the top and a loose shirt. I feel more casual and ride comfortable.

bib Knicks... Give them a go.

mxracer92

Likes Dirt

ditto .. even raced XC races with em , stick it to the lycra boys getting beat in baggys , mid travel bike is rewarding !

LJG

Likes Bikes
Endura Hummvee shorts from Anaconda. Removable padded liner, zip pockets so all your shit doesn't fall out and built rugged to take punishment. But after 70 or 80klm you'll still have a sore arse hahaha

clockworked

Like an orange
i used to do the knicks under normal shorts. Never again after trying the fox ranger shorts. The material choice is a lot more appropriate and the shorts in turn are more comfy. Plus i think they'll be more resilient; no point ruining otherwise fine normal shorts!

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Best nics I have found are the 2XU ones with the holes in the padding (they have others too, but not as good). Super comfy, stops the groin hurt better than cheaper nicks and the holes let the sweat go elsewhere. Also they have sales every so often so you can pick them up cheap - normally they are between $150 and $250, but i got my 3 sets for like $40 each.

Be sure you don't buy the tri nics if your just using them for riding - the tri nics have jack padding.

Oh and I wear fox sgts on top so I don't get hassled by my mates and lady boys :bounce:

booerns

Likes Dirt
+1

I have a bit of a gut so I find the elastic in Knicks can get uncomfortable so I made the switch to bib Knicks.

Then throw some baggy's over the top and a loose shirt. I feel more casual and ride comfortable.

bib Knicks... Give them a go.

This. I don't have a gut myself, but I still find the elastic waistband can get very uncomfortable especially on a lengthy ride. So I made the jump to bib-knicks and have started to wear them underneath my baggys, it's extremely comfortable and a lot better IMO than baggy shorts that have the inbuilt knicks - I find they ride up way too much and tend to bunch up a lot

floody

Wheel size expert
What about replacement liner shorts with decent chamois, do they exist? I've got Pearl Izumi and Fox ones and the padding in both has collapsed so as to be useless.

m.westy

Cannon Fodder
man I have just come from DH into AM and experienced the same thing this weekend also!. however I am going to try and find a new seat that might fit my but bones better. I know I will have to sport the lycra at some stage, but trying to get the padded MTB shorts to work first.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
I found the padded shorts by fox felt like baby nappies... gave up on those. The padding that comes with fox shorts but is detachable is useless too - it compresses within 1 ride and is like wearing a Band-Aid. Invest in decent nics and you wont have this problem, even with rock hard carbon seats.