Andy Caldecott RIP

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
Couldn't believe it when I heard the news of Andy Caldecott's passing this morning. Had won a stage of the Paris Dakar and was coming forth when he had a fatal accident last night. He wasn't even going to race this year but was a late call up.

Very sad. RIP.

wombat

Lives in a hole
RIP to a good man and a truly brillant rider.

Our condolences to all of Andy's family and friends.

aday

Likes Bikes and Dirt
RIP Andy.
Been following him over all the years in the Dakars, i was in bed and heard my dad in the kitchen so i raced out to see what happened and i heard it. My dad knew him years back.

Pete J

loves his dog
Damn, what sad news! :(
One of Australias most talented motorcycle riders ever.
That is such a shame, to say the least.

norcorulz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
RIP to Andy and our condolences go out tho his family. Andy was Australia's best ever off road motorcyclist and such shocking news to hear of another death in the grulling Paris to Dakar :( He was a very caring person and loved by everyone and is unfortunately leaving his wife and young daughter behind

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
Never knew of him really, but I heard it on the news this morning. Terrible news, especially with a young family. RIP.

Frazzle

Likes Dirt
Very Sad... And another one to the Dakar. The worst part is that he had a familly and they are now without a husband/father. Very Sad.
A great man. RIP

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I must admit the first I'd heard of him was when he won the stage a few days back. To me any person who takes on the Dakar on two wheels is a hero. A real shame. Tonight's first cold one is for you Andy. :(

looseunit

Likes Dirt
Several years ago I had a customer at work who was from keith and was part of the fundrasing commity to help raise money for Andy Caldecott to get to race in Paris Dakar. That was for his first paris Dakar when he was a privateer and being ranked in top 5 he would get in to finish area and have to start to do any repair work on his own bike becasue his mechanic would still be hours behind getting a ride in a truck.

RIP Andy, my condolences go out to his family and freinds and to the town of ketih who lost a local hero.

Rik

logged out
That's right, he was doing chook raffles in pubs to fund his privateer venture in the race. He scored a team ride this year, did incredibly well... and now this tragic event occurs. Such a shame to see it happen :(

floody

Wheel size expert
I met Andy a few times racing Vintage MX - him and his '74 TM400 Suzuki were an unstoppable combination in the open class. He was a nice bloke and an awesome rider, very sad day.
R.I.P.

jeb123

Likes Bikes
its such a shame to hear of a death in motorsport let alone any sport, Andy was one of the many reasons why australians watch the paris - dakar..... andy is a true champion just for competing in the event and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves..........condolences to his family and friends, teammates and fellow competitors.....

skivi

Likes Dirt
:(
rest in peace mate

your 2 wheeled bredren send their condolences to your family

you were a great father, racer and aussie

matt99

Likes Dirt
I didnt really know him well, only through the shop I suppose (Caldecott motors). But none the less its a terrible loss, he will be missed.

RIP.

bazza

look at me
i found this very odd tonight when i watched the news.

i pretty much shed a tear for him because of how hard he had worked to get where he was and how well he was doing when something so simple went wrong and he ended up gone forever.

in stark contrast tooooo

a teenager dying in a car crash during a police pursuit after a night of breaking and entering into several places or whatever he was doing... where i felt comfortable that another deadshit had died.....

how very odd. just thought i would share that with everyone.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
floody said:
I met Andy a few times racing Vintage MX - him and his '74 TM400 Suzuki were an unstoppable combination in the open class. He was a nice bloke and an awesome rider, very sad day.
R.I.P.
Interesting you should mention that. Many years back as a kid, I used to travel around the place with my dad when he raced his vintage Bultaco's. I met Andy a few times, but I really didnt know the bloke.
Dad on the other hand knew Andy well, having raced against him quite often back in the day. When I spoke with dad today, his thoughts about Andy were, "He was a really down to earth, approachable kinda guy".

Loss of life is always bad. But at least Andy died doing what he loved.

R.I.P. Andy. You will be missed by many.

rob!

Likes Bikes
far out that is soo sad ive been watching him race the dakers for maybe 5 years he will be recongised by all of the riders and drivers at daker and will be remembed by the nation a but daker is a very dangerous place to race and anything can go wrong

my condolences to his family friends and too his fans
to his teamates go ur hardest for your fellow teamate and make him proud ;)

R.I.P Andy Caldecott

ride_hard199

Likes Dirt
RIP Andy,

He was the coolest guy we talked to, while at connondale a few years back.
he only found out he had a chance of competing in Dakar just before christmas.
you will be missed by thousands Andy.

Andy's wife is 5 months Pregnant :(

Rest In Peace