Angleset/slackening a Demo 8

Odissius

Likes Dirt
Rode my friends M9 yesterday which on account of the Angleset is around 62 degrees. Quite liked the slack feeling of it and got me wondering about an Angleset in my 2013 Demo 8. Was thinking a degree or degree and half offset. Anyone done this? Good? bad?

morticus

Likes Dirt
Never heard much about people running angle set in a demo...

Have you got it in high or low setting?

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Since anglesets are generally stupidly expensive, you might be well off with these:
http://www.offsetbushings.com/products/shock-hardware-pair

I just ordered some for my Makulu frame, works out to be $50 incl. shipping.
$130 from Crankin for Works Components angle-set with 1,1.5 or 2 degree change(have to pick one). sales@crankin.net to order.
They won't change any other part of the frames design like offset bushes may.
Not sure how much the K9 Anglesets are, but they're another good brand.

Last edited:

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
The newer shape does so 2011 upwards iirc. My 2012 has it low and slack or high and steep. In saying that I think it moves the bb by 10mm and changes the head angle by .4 ish of a degree

morticus

Likes Dirt
Didn't realise Demo's have a high/low setting?
There is an little offset bushing in the eye of the shock where it bolts into the shock yolk. Can take shock out and turn it 180 degrees. if its in high, you could move it to low and possibly raise the crowns on your stanchions? should slacken it out a bit. Would think a slack head angle would only be beneficial on super steep tracks.

wotsis

Likes Dirt
+2 for the Works Components headsets. I've used one and know another two riders with them. No creaking issues.

The only person I know with an Angleset also suffered from the constant creaking problem.

Though making a Demo 8 even slacker seems a bit over the top. I've ridden some of the steepest stuff at Whistler on a Demo 8 and never felt that it should have been slacker.

Odissius

Likes Dirt
There is an little offset bushing in the eye of the shock where it bolts into the shock yolk. Can take shock out and turn it 180 degrees. if its in high, you could move it to low and possibly raise the crowns on your stanchions? should slacken it out a bit. Would think a slack head angle would only be beneficial on super steep tracks.
So that's what that's for! I didn't know what to make of it when I changed out the stock shock. The bushing is very loose though and it simply fell out of the eyelet of both my Van RC and my DB so it would just been random as to the way I put it back in. I assume having the eye of the offset bushing closer to the far end of the shock eyelet is the low setting?

morticus

Likes Dirt
Yeah mate make sure the hole is towars the rest of the shock, this will allow it to fit further into thw shock yolk and it will be in low setting

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
So that's what that's for! I didn't know what to make of it when I changed out the stock shock. The bushing is very loose though and it simply fell out of the eyelet of both my Van RC and my DB so it would just been random as to the way I put it back in. I assume having the eye of the offset bushing closer to the far end of the shock eyelet is the low setting?
What you have mentioned there is the high setting. Big hole towards shock is low setting. Also I hate that damn bush im thinking of ditching it in favour of a standard one

Odissius

Likes Dirt
Yep, bike was in the 'hi' setting. Seems plenty slack enough sitting on it now. Weekend runs testing should be fun. Cheers for the info folks otherwise I would have been riding Champery in a couple months time in the 'hi' setting struggling to work out why I'm not as quick as Danny Hart ;-)