Another which 29" frame / bike.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
@Oddjob that Liteville is a touch too boutique for me I think, whilst I feel the geometry approach is good (size specific rear centre) the different sized wheels is a non starter. Thanks though!
Different sized wheels are only optional. I was originally planning to run the Liteville on 26ers but have decided to keep my old RM Switch as a spare bike. So shelled out for some Asymmetric 27.5 Nexties + DVO Topaz + Dvo Diamond + Thomson dropper ++++ you get the idea.

Liteville do have a local distro if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Different sized wheels are only optional. I was originally planning to run the Liteville on 26ers but have decided to keep my old RM Switch as a spare bike. So shelled out for some Asymmetric 27.5 Nexties + DVO Topaz + Dvo Diamond + Thomson dropper ++++ you get the idea.

Liteville do have a local distro if that helps.

That's just me lacking imagination then. I shall see what they cost. I feel like I should be sitting down at the time. :^)

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
YT Jeffsy?
It reviews very well (by owners and the usual suspects)

Pro's...
-Epic value for money.
-Plenty of choice for spec & frame material for 'precise' buyers.
-Acceptable STA from memory.
-Genuine all-rounder (I think it has a 'flip chip' frame too?)

Con's...
-I think it's PF BB
- No test rides
- Might be a wait time.
- Dunno if their XL is big nuff?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
YT Jeffsy?
It reviews very well (by owners and the usual suspects)

Pro's...
-Epic value for money.
-Plenty of choice for spec & frame material for 'precise' buyers.
-Acceptable STA from memory.
-Genuine all-rounder (I think it has a 'flip chip' frame too?)

Con's...
-I think it's PF BB
- No test rides
- Might be a wait time.
- Dunno if their XL is big nuff?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
Thanks mate,
I actually think they're a nice bike.

As I'm after frame only it leaves me with loads of kit to on sell which is a PITA. I do also have a friend who used to own a LBS and I'd risk him turning up at my house with a burning pitchfork and an effigy of me dragged behind his car if I went direct!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Specialized?? Not frame only though. Transition? Liteville are amazing frames. I liked the Devinci I sat on for length- frame only options in carbon and alloy ( I think).
SCHT looks good but will require boost wheels.
So much fun shopping via my big inter web buddies

Last edited:

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Intense Primer has a steep STA and is 130mm rear 140mm front. Can also fit a Recluse link and a 200x57 shock for 140mm rear. I had an Evil and couldn't get along with the super slack STA. The Riot was awesome and the Primer came along for me at the right price so I gave it a shot.

The other bike I'd be looking at is the new Knolly Fugitive coming out in July but you've mentioned you don't like the idea of 157mm spacing in the back

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
That's just me lacking imagination then. I shall see what they cost. I feel like I should be sitting down at the time. :^)
Not if you get a mk13 from Bike-components.de. They're on sale. Oh and I didn't pay duty thanks to Dhl.

Just don't tell your mate.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks all, I'm loving all the suggestions and help! :^)
@Big JD, @BRADSTA the Devinci frames look really nice. Not quite enough travel on their 29" bikes.

Transition seems not to have the right bike for me and I'm not sold on their value / price position. They seem rather costly for what appears to me to be a HL suspension system and a very short warranty relative to other frames.

@Zaf I did look at the Stumpy but the reach is just too short. Nice looking frames though.
@slider_phil The Intense Primer was very high on my list when I was considering the 140mm fork I have already. The reach is there or close enough and it'd need the Recluse link and different shock to have me run it with the Lyrik at 150mm. Seems a bit of faffing about though but still a nice bike. I'm feeling a little more tempted by the Carbine but could regret getting swayed by the travel #'s. The Knolly looks to be super heavy and the 157 rear kills that idea.

@Oddjob, you Sir are going to get me in trouble. :^)
I'd convinced myself that due to warranty issues in the past I'd need to deal with an AU based (preferably Melbourne) supplier so if I had issues I could get to them quickly to resolve.

The short list is now as follows; And yes, they're all compromises as stated earlier.
SC HTLT XXL (still tempted despite the OG experience)
Canfield Toir pending supplier feedback on avails (Insanely low pricing currently means I can go the extra on a really nice shock like an 11-6)
Banshee Prime - Again, can get an improved shock and I love the finish. It's probably the best all round save the 3 yr warranty limitation. One can't have everything it seems.
Norco Range - Geo and Travel #'s are right. Just hoping HL is going to behave on climbing as reported.
Rocky Mountain Instinct BC - Outside edge choice depending on avails + cost but I expect it to be within the rest of these.

The GG Smash was a contender but the geo figures are so alien to me, high $$$ for an alloy HL, as well as the seat post makes me wonder about it.
Carbine - Reach is JUST too short (have to draw a line somewhere).
Primer - too short travel for my forks and the fix is fiddly in my view
Kona Process / Jeffsy - is not available in frame only.

Thanks again all, I'll see how I go with this lot and will share as soon as a decision is made.

empire

Likes Bikes
As someone who has owned both a Canfield riot and a banshee prime, my personal recommendation would be the prime.

The short chainstays on the riot make it really fun at slower speeds but a bit of a handful at higher speeds. The prime is better balanced at both slow and fast speeds imo.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@empire, I'm of the same view. I looked at the % of the bike the rear center represents on all these frames and on the Prime it's over 36% and on the Toir it's 34.7%. I know it's possible to get too caught up in the #'s but the wheelbase is shorter on the Toir by almost 50mm. Adds agility but sacrifices stability. I like stability on my descents especially and it was something my MY15 Fuel had with a % of 37.45%. Nothing current touches that figure.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The other issue with the Riot is that you simply mightn't be able to get it ATM. They've been low on stock trying to get ready for the new bikes but there was an issue. Reading MTBR it seems like 2018 is going to be a bit of a transition year for them (possible move from Bellingham to Moab). So a carbon Riot may be 6-12 months away and near impossible to find an aluminium one.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Looking at your shortlist Reverend, you'd have to think the Prime ticks a lot of your original boxes - steep STA, longish rear-centre, threaded BB, reach 480+, 31.6 seat post. The only downside is probably the limited warranty, but then again it's an aluminium frame so potentially repairable. The bonus is the adjustable geometry dropouts that can slacken the bike half a degree, the ability to swap between 142 x 12 and boost rear spacing, 29/27.5+ compatibility, and it comes in black! And if you're still concerned by warranty, you could buy two Prime frames with change over a SCHLT...

Big AC

Likes Dirt
The HT and HTLT both have slack ASTAs, The HTLT also has a slack ESTA. Combined with the short CS their climbing will be compromised (there are quite a few comments about this from tall people on MTBR).

The HTLT is highly likely to be replaced this year, without doubt it will steepen the ETSA, who knows about the ASTA and CS length.

There is rumoured to be a new IBIS enduro bike (probably ~150mm) about to drop. Based on IBIS’ design philosophy it’s unlikely to be long, but maybe worth a look.

Mondraker will likely be replacing the Dune this year (long overdue) and the rumours are for a 29er.

I’m 196cm and for the first time in many years actually looking at getting a new bike. Most of the geo charts I look at are underwhelming due to length, ESTA / ASTA and CS length. The only bikes that I look at and think “yep, that could work” are from Pole / Nicolai. The longer CS combined steep ESTA and ASTA are needed to avoid sitting over the rear hub. Additionally, as the front centre of bikes gets longer the rear centre also needs to grow to keep the weight balance correct.

Long front centre / short rear centre bikes usually have the phrase “needs and active rider” somewhere in the review, as they are somewhat unbalanced (some people call this flickable or lively). This issue only get exacerbated when you get a larger size as most manufactures only grow the front centre (via a longer reach) and leaver the rear centre the same (to save costs on having to build more than one size of rear triangle). The question people have to answer is how long can I stay “active” on the bike? Because if you can’t stay “active” then it will ride like shit, and let’s be honest, as your ride goes on you get tired and lazier.

The reality of the situation is that there are very few bikes that will genuinely fit someone over 190cm, most XL / XXL bikes are compromised in terms of weight balance and general size. I know that some people freak out at some of the numbers on progressive bikes such as the Pole, but every review (both pro and forum user) seems to say the same thing, balanced, composed, capable, confidence inspiring, and versatile. There aren’t a lot reviews saying they’re just a DH rig.

I obviously have a preference and the OPs views might be different, ride what you want, just make an informed decision........ and buy new dropper if the bike of choice is 30.9.