ANSTO closes Menai/Lucas Heights trails to the public

ToranaJudd

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just completed the survey.

I am very excited about this area. The work that you guys have dedicated to making this happen is second to none. Thankyou.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Update

Sorry for the lack of news

Things are moving along, but really really slowly. Just to put some perspective there is just so much to do, different and multiple multiple (yep x2) aspects to consider, get feedback on and then review, all on top of the multiple projects staff and ANSTO have to deal with.

The current bottle neck, for lack of a better word, relates to the legal agreements, environmental assessments, DAs (yep Council has to put in a DA). Staff are moving things along, Reps have produced an operational plan as a skeleton, and we are working on a contractor capabilities doc, but we are just one stakeholder group in the conservation park so you can see why its multiple / multiple considerations.

Interim access can't be granted until legal agreements are finalised and all the other interdependencies that must fit into the legal docs. So hopefully you can get a feel for the amount of work and therefore the time needed and taken.

Some good news is that we are arranging to have our first working bee focused on trail rationalisation and starting to define the trail network. We are aiming for a Sept induction weekend likely two 4hr sessions (to be confirmed) and then monthly trail days there after.

We are initially looking for 15 volunteers who will form a core group (think trail bosses) that in future will supervise other volunteer groups etc etc. What we envisage is having this core group trained in aspects of Bushcare, IMBA trail building and form part of the MTB focused club / subsidiary of the Sutho club (still working these details out).

So, we are looking for vollies that are dependable and will be in this for the long haul.

Now don't be scared off by the level of commitment ... the trick here is the more dependable volunteers we have the more backup we have for each other so if family, work and gawd forbid riding spring up we have a core group that can back up. Similarly, the more vollies the more effective our monthly trail days will be the faster it all gets done (fingers crossed)

No pressure, as IMO the best vollies are the ones that want to be involved and don't need to be pressured into helping.

if your keen (guys and gals) email ssorc@hotmail.com and we'll start logging names and level of interest. Limit of 15 so please be patient.

Last one ... please keep off the trail, staff have noticed an increase in numbers using the trail ... this can really stuff us up. A key aspect of our gaining access is a level of trust, so we know its painful and annoying seeing other users in there, but do the right thing and we'll have an icon our kids will enjoy. Sorry for the lecture ... please keep off.

Cheers
Al

troyf

Cannon Fodder
I would love to help out. I live in Bangor and had been riding these trails for years. Can't wait for the area to be re-opened. Email has been sent.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would love to be involved with this bit I think distance prevents me. If there's space I'm happy to be involved if the organisers think it's okay. :smile-new:

Last edited:

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
Some news via email:

Good Afternoon

Thank you for completing the survey regarding The Ridge BMX Track and Off Road Bike Park within The Ridge Sporting Complex, Recreation Drive, Lucas Heights. Over 360 surveys have been completed, the information is being collated and will be invaluable for the detailed design process of the project.

If you have further questions or want to find out more about this exciting project, a cycling community consultation meeting will be held on Saturday 4th August 2012
at 3pm at Waratah Cycling Track Clubhouse, Rawson Pde, Sutherland. Council staff and the designer will be in attendance to answer any questions you still may have.

If you are interested in attending on Saturday the 4th, it would be very helpful if you can please let me know by next Wednesday 1st August by reply email.

If you have any questions in the mean time please do not hesitate to contact me on on 9710 0469.

Regards

Kirin Lindop
Sport and Recreation Coordinator
Active Communities Unit
Sutherland Shire Council
Locked Bag 17 SUTHERLAND 1499
Tel: 9710 0469
Fax: 9710 0594
Email: klindop@ssc.nsw.gov.au
www.sutherlandshire.nsw.gov.au

troyf

Cannon Fodder
Was there anything interesting discussed at the meeting on Aug 4? I was planning to go but unfortunately had soccer commitments.

Silly Goose

Likes Bikes
I speak on behalf of myself only, but I think it went well, it was only a very small group ( 10 people at most) and Kirin was very happy to answer questions, and take suggestions. The track planner from Dirtz came along and explained some things about the Bmx facility. But the Mill creek Mtb trails is a separate project.

Brendan

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
yep, both are separate projects, but also part of the greater scheme of more cycling infrastructure in the shire.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
If you are unaware of the first Menai volunteer induction session it is being head this Saturday. You need to be registered prior to attending.

We are looking for people that want to be involved in the long run and is willing to become a crew leader at some point. Sounds like a job interview I know :) ... but if your keen and haven't already contacted ssorc@hotmail.com ... please get involved by emailing prior to Wednesday 17th Oct 2012 morning.

Ta
Al

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
For those heading to the SSC induction this saturday 20th Oct 2012 there has been a change in venue

13 - 15 Ethell road Kirrawee ... 8.30am start, but please try and get there a little earlier if any issues / last minute pikes etc
txt 0404 885 896 - Al

Ta everybody looking forward to getting this rolling

willsy01

Eats Squid
For those heading to the SSC induction this saturday 20th Oct 2012 there has been a change in venue

13 - 15 Ethell road Kirrawee ... 8.30am start, but please try and get there a little earlier if any issues / last minute pikes etc
txt 0404 885 896 - Al

Ta everybody looking forward to getting this rolling
Looks like a big factory complex.....is that right?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Belated and Big thanks to all those guys and gals that made it out. I thought Jason was pretty awesome so looking forward to all of this forging ahead.

Trying to tee up our first trail day ... likely focused on closing off and rehabing trail to define the main trail on Council lands. Please ensure you complete your form and online induction ASAP.

Note: for those that couldn't attend but want to be involved please print off the attached scans ... head to the inductee link ... complete the 'common sense' induction and main your completed form to council (see scan for details)
Scan0004.jpgScan0005.jpg

Al

*edit ... oops