ANSTO closes Menai/Lucas Heights trails to the public

raintonr

Likes Bikes
Private meeting only

Sorry folks - someone jumped the gun a bit.

There is a meeting with ANSTO but it is not public. Please do not show up!

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
Steve ( the guy who has organised this meeting) has asked me to pass on the ANSTO guys email details,

Gavin Atkins: gat@ansto.gov.au

The meeting will be small with only invited people attending, but if you would like to help, send an email to Gavin Atkins expressing your opinions on the matter, as always keep it clean, positive, and to the point.

Cheers,
Nik

mtb1611

Seymour
Steve ( the guy who has organised this meeting) has asked me to pass on the ANSTO guys email details,

The meeting will be small with only invited people attending, but if you would like to help, send an email to Gavin Atkins expressing your opinions on the matter, as always keep it clean, positive, and to the point.

Cheers,
Nik
Thanks nicmcc, clean, positive and to-the-point email sent to Gavin Atkins!

Wiffle

Likes Dirt

Cheers,
Nik
Another email sent; good luck for the meeting!

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Just something to think about.

Might not be such a good idea filling the guy's inbox, prior to the first meeting being head. unless you have all the key points related to the actual closure and the reasoning behind it.

Always good to have solutions to problems when your trying to get something out of somebody ... makes their lives easier, which increases your chance of getting somewhere.

mtb1611

Seymour
Just something to think about.

Might not be such a good idea filling the guy's inbox, prior to the first meeting being head. unless you have all the key points related to the actual closure and the reasoning behind it.

Always good to have solutions to problems when your trying to get something out of somebody ... makes their lives easier, which increases your chance of getting somewhere.
Nevertheless, instilling in the attendees a sense of just how cherished the area is, prior to the meeting, may just give them a more accurate perspective, prior to the meeting....

rotorub

Likes Dirt
Ah the Irony!

Ah the Irony......:confused:

The meeting is being held in an area open to the public At the "ANSTO Cafe" but we are being asked to not show up.

Perhaps the meeting should be held on the MTB trail where the public is currently banned from entering?

Sorry couldnt help myself.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
cool ... different perspectives I guess ... I'd be annoyed if I didn't have a connection with the topic being raised ... but I'm an angry and paranoid old man.

BTW
head = held in my last post ... then again, I hope Steve is prepared to give what ever it takes to get access back :p eeeewwwwwweeeeee

Slowman

Likes Dirt
cool ... different perspectives I guess ... I'd be annoyed if I didn't have a connection with the topic being raised ... but I'm an angry and paranoid old man.

BTW
head = held in my last post ... then again, I hope Steve is prepared to give what ever it takes to get access back :p eeeewwwwwweeeeee
Well he's quite nice looking if you know what I mean. He's a tennis player and runs a tennis business in the Shire so he is good with people and good at scoring points :)

Angry and paranoid? That makes you sound reasonable, at least your paranoia is a reason for your anger. I don't need no stinkin' reason to be angry :D

Initially a quick first response is a good thing and Steve has certainly been quick off the mark to get things happening so I think it's in capable hands.

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
Ah the Irony......:confused:

The meeting is being held in an area open to the public At the "ANSTO Cafe" but we are being asked to not show up.

Perhaps the meeting should be held on the MTB trail where the public is currently banned from entering?

Sorry couldnt help myself.
This meeting is more of an initial "sit down" with a few key players to calmly discuss the matter.

I can assure you all when the time comes for a show of numbers EVERYONE will be called upon.

I can vouch for Steve, he has everyones best interests at heart.

And Nerf, I'm pretty sure steve would give his left nut to get access back ;) so no need to worry about that!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

natsterrr

Cannon Fodder
Leader article in progress.

I've also sent a polite email outlining my responsible use of the area and the value I hold for this bushland.

Just spoke with a friend who works at the Leader, and they are already onto this story. If anyone wants to contribute opinions you can contact Jim Gainsford who is writing the story. I don't think I should put his contact number here, but I'm sure if you called the leader office and asked to speak with him on this matter then they could direct you.

mtb1611

Seymour
I emailed Gavin Atkins last night and received a phone call from him this morning, inviting me to Thursday's meeting. Depending on the manner in which this meeting is conducted and the wishes of the meeting's convenors, I will endeavour to provide forum members with relevant info. What I can tell you at this stage is that the land itself has NOT been rezoned and in fact has always been out of bounds; signs have now been erected due to complaints from people regarding the construcion of ramps etc on EXISTING WALKING TRAILS. This does not surprise me in the slightest, as I have myself in the past via this forum drawn attention to the fact that this practice could have detrimental consequences - clearly it has. Interestingly, at no point were motorbike riders mentioned in the conversation.

I look forward to Thursday's meeting; during our brief phone call I found Gavin Atkins to be a very polite, understanding and objective person. The fact that he is willing to meet with a user group such as ours at such short notice is indicative of his attitude and we should all respect and reciprocate this in our dealings with ANSTO in regard to this issue.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Hmmm media is a double edged sword. It can help and it can hinder, I can see photos of the central area with all the ramps and berms not winning us much public support. We need some baby photos!

Looks like we have 3 representatives for the majority of us and we have 1 professional/elite rider attending. I think that is enough for this meeting as the real goal for this meeting is not for them to reverse the decision (it would be nice but unrealistic) but to feel comfortable to carry on with more dialogue.

From our side we'd probably be best to ask for some time to develop a plan of sustainable and responsible use that can be presented when complete. That doesn't imply any commitment that they'll accept it but to give it consideration, that is, keep talking. Getting that far in the first meeting I'd think would be a good outcome especially if they agree to collaborate and communicate throughout its development.

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Have had a good chat with Steve this evening.

I now understand the reason for the emails ... so please continue to ignore me :p and continue with your polite email correspondence. Suggest some things to hit on
i) lack of legal alternatives
ii) frequency of your visits
iii) number of riders in the area
iv) MTBs are not Motos

Further to Nik's explanation ... The meeting is to get a better understanding of the reasonings behind why Ansto acted now. Understand both sides of the issue and hopefully identify solutions where possible. There is a good mix of locals, clubs and trail advocates attending with Steve leading discussions. So quietly confident things are in good hands with Steve on the front foot and on the ball (yes I was impressed, very well spoke and informed).

Suggest we leave this to Steve and team as there is a diverse mix of scheduled attendees to the meeting (not just ANSTO and Riders), and its a time for calm, considered discussion and the sharing of concerns and again hopefully solutions.

On a second note: we have heard that a "protest" meeting and ride is in the planning for Sunday, with a proposed ride on the affected trails. Please if you are in contact with the organisers ... please could you discourage this event from happening, or more importantly discourage the planned trespass and contravention of the trail closure signs. Its not the time, and given the speed in which ANSTO and Steve have organised discussions I see that there is currently mutual respect (for lack of a better word) and law breaking actions won't help this.

Big thanks to Steve for getting on the front foot ... always good having a local in the know involved.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It all sounds pretty good. The speed that this has all come together is amazing, so well done to Steve and all others involved. I look forward to reading a report of the meeting discussions and outcome. :)

0psi

Eats Squid
On a second note: we have heard that a "protest" meeting and ride is in the planning for Sunday, with a proposed ride on the affected trails. Please if you are in contact with the organisers ... please could you discourage this event from happening, or more importantly discourage the planned trespass and contravention of the trail closure signs. Its not the time, and given the speed in which ANSTO and Steve have organised discussions I see that there is currently mutual respect (for lack of a better word) and law breaking actions won't help this.
+1. I just heard about the protest ride on Saturday morning, possibly the stupidest idea I've heard in a long time and definately won't help the cause. Can't imagine who thought that would be a smart idea, yeah let's piss off the land owners, that'll get them to open up the trails again :confused:

PERREN

Squid
Media Were all over it already........

Hey Everyone,
I got a call from the Leader 2 days ago and they were onto the story already. He wanted to do a photo shoot with myslef out there but as we are the bad guys already (or so it seems) I told him no thanks. I know what we are all thinking......... As the statement in the paper would have fired up the whole current sit and not assisted with our meeting I worked with to make it as fair as I could. At the end of the day we all know that some Journalist will write what they want so hopefully nothing is one sided so to speak. The article direction is that we are requesting to work with Ansto in getting Legal Access to the 1.6km exclusion zone.

Cheers

Slowman

Likes Dirt
+1. I just heard about the protest ride on Saturday morning, possibly the stupidest idea I've heard in a long time and definately won't help the cause. Can't imagine who thought that would be a smart idea, yeah let's piss off the land owners, that'll get them to open up the trails again :confused:
I think I can almost guarantee the AFP will be there in force accepting $1000 donations for their Christmas party :D

Bermshot

Banned
I think I can almost guarantee the AFP will be there in force accepting $1000 donations for their Christmas party :D
Is that why the Feds are driving around there so regularly? I thought it was because of all the bloody terrorists.:confused: