anti virus programs?

mlsred

Likes Dirt
alright guys just wondering if there are any tech heads out there who can help, I'm currently running AVG 8.0 and spybot search and destroy but my computer is heading in a downward spiral it justs randomly turns off even if im not using it, so could anyone out there give me any ideas of some good SAFE programs to use that would make my computer clean of dreaded viruses

kavoosh

Likes Bikes
Is that the only thing that happens?

If so:

Go to your background/desktop.
> right click
> properties
> screen saver tab
> power options

Check if turn off hard drives or anything like that is set to a certain time.

M.artin

Arrow Racing
I run AVG, Spybot & AdAware. but maybe also get a programe called Registry defrag by AusLogics (It is a free download, and cleans your registry/ makes it quicker to access for your computer).

Also run the usuals,
-Disc defrag
-Disc Clean up

It could just be a combination of your hard drives being full and fragmented and a messy registry.

Good luck.

mlsred

Likes Dirt
we've got a 6 month old quad core so its not a crap computer and the only thing that made me think virus was my complete lack of knowledge about computers, if it is hardware can I fix it? thanks for all your help by the way

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Take it back to the shop and get them to have a look at it. It should still be under warranty. Could be a problem with the power supply.

mlsred

Likes Dirt
hmmm that doesn't sound good if I do have to get a new power supply does that mean i lose everything on my computer?
thanks for your help again

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hmmm that doesn't sound good if I do have to get a new power supply does that mean i lose everything on my computer?
thanks for your help again
Not at all, a power suply won't effect anything at all if you replace it, its just like replacing batteries, except nothing on the computer will reset. The only thing that will make you loose your stuff is replacing the harddrive, however if you had to do that it seems it still runs, so you can clone it using a program by synamatec called ghost i believe it is, i know the process is called ghosting, I have the program here somwhere.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
No, the only way you'd lose everything on your computer is if something happened to the hard drive. Which is why you should always make backups of stuff you don't want to lose. There are various ways of doing this, the easiest would probably be an external hard drive.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
The only thing that will make you loose your stuff is replacing the harddrive, however if you had to do that it seems it still runs, so you can clone it using a program by synamatec called ghost i believe it is, i know the process is called ghosting, I have the program here somwhere.
There's a free program called Drive Image XML (or DIX - hahahaha!) that will do the same job.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's a free program called Drive Image XML (or DIX - hahahaha!) that will do the same job.
Oh cool, for once I didn't get this one on the low down, school was giving away copies as they got macs and didn't need all the copies and lisences anymore. I will deff try and look for this program you speak of, good to have a couple, because sometimes computers just reject stuff, dam things.

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Replacing a hard drive will not affect any of the programs you have stored on your hard drive and your BIOS settings should also be stored in memory.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did you mean replacing a power supply?
Exactly my thoughts, but he might be pointing out that replacing say hardrive b will not effect any programs installed on harddrive a, providing HDD a has windows (or other OS) installed on it, as an example, me removing my music HDD won't effect windows running, or any of my other programs (also installed on a sperate HDD)