Anyone a Paramedic or an Ambo....or work for QAS

still waiting

Cannon Fodder
G'day Guys

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I have a current edition Martini A&P I used for Uni so that Gould come in helpful.

Also received a Litmans as a going away present. Was very happy with it :)

Wish I could just hurry up and start!!

Forumscanner

Cannon Fodder
I have gotten by without buying any textbooks- most stations have a collection and coupled with online resources you really don't have to fork out hundreds of dollars

Angry Medic

Cannon Fodder
1. How much time should I prepare to set aside for the "study" side of things?
This will depend on your prior knowledge and how quickly you pick things up, while at QCESA study each night and revise what yo have learnt, there is testing at various stages along the way.

2. Is the study mostly computer based or textbook based? Or is it online???
All of the above, text book are more for reference purposes

3. I know the area I have been given but when do we get the exact station?
usually by around week 4 you should know, and I would suggest that unless you need to know i.e. you are relocating don't ask the instructors, imagine 50+ people asking that every day. By all means if you dont know by the start of 5 then start asking. (tip: when you get your uniforms have a look at the sheet you details are on, it will usually have your home station)

4. I understand that we may be subject to move stations when required, lets say I am close to my station and I want to cycle to work. Would this be possible? Do they give you fair warning of station changes? How you get to work is up to you, I know people who bike in. If they were to change your station at short notice (I think 24hrs is required) then it is up to them to get you there and back, either you will be picked up or porvided transport. or you can choose to make your own way there if it suits you.

5. What week of the six weeks is spent at driver training? Is it one week?
Driver training is done by regions so at weeks 5,6&7 the group will split some will do driver training, some will do final assessments and some will do area induction (classed as week 7)
6. Any tips for the first few days of the training?
just be yourself, listen and learn and don't stress, it's not as hard as you might think.
Thanks to any info that can be shared...

I'm pumped!
Oh and FYI your on road time will start the week of 26th March
(depending on where you start in the roster will determine on your start day on road)

smithb

Cannon Fodder
1. How much time should I prepare to set aside for the "study" side of things?

It depends on how comfortable you are with the content. So people may have backgrounds in nursing or whatever and find the initial phase easier than others. I just went over anything I was unsure of that day and didn't stress to much.

2. Is the study mostly computer based or textbook based? Or is it online???

The study is mainly focused around power points for knowledge and using equipment hands on to become familiar with tools and skills. There is a small amount online and your exams will be online but that's about it.

3. I know the area I have been given but when do we get the exact station?

Depending on your area, sometime between week 1 and 6:) I think most people found out around week 3 or 4

4. I understand that we may be subject to move stations when required, lets say I am close to my station and I want to cycle to work. Would this be possible? Do they give you fair warning of station changes?

You can definitely ride to work no worries. Nearly every station I've been to has showers and change rooms. If their going to swap stations you will be given plenty of notice so don't worry.

5. What week of the six weeks is spent at driver training? Is it one week?

Depending on your region either week 4, 5 or 6. It's a week long and great fun especially the Thursday! You knowll what I'm talking about soon enough! Again enjoy being paid to drive around, I loved it!

6. Any tips for the first few days of the training?

Enjoy it. Don't stress when you get bombarded with a thousand sheets of paper and forms to sign. Get to know people as you can make great friends for life and just enjoy the ride. Oh and enjoy the free hot lunch everyday! I did!
T
Thanks to any info that can be shared...

I'm pumped!
UAbcdefghijk

smithb

Cannon Fodder
I replied to those questions on my phone and didn't realise it would turn out like that. Anyway I had to put in 10 letters to submit a reply haha

smithb

Cannon Fodder
They have laptops for you to use at QCESA when you want. I didn't bother taking mine but having a USB stick handy is a must. Even an el cheapo one for 5 bucks will do:)

In regards to studying with other students, again if you benefit from that then go for it. I did and enjoyed it. Made learning the content a bit more fun; gave me an idea about where i was up to compared to others so I didn't stress to much and is great for throwing around ideas or learning new techniques for study. When your done you also can have a few drinks and relax.....if that's your thing:)

Forumscanner

Cannon Fodder
Most of the stuff in workshop 1 is memorising power point slides and some definitions. You can also download full textbooks on every subject in PDF format from www.thepiratebay.org using a torrent program, however this may :pirate: violate copyright laws

3striper

Cannon Fodder
Tried to PM you....

Also will we get some info on what to take along to our first day of training?
Hey Mindy...... CONGRATULATIONS...!!!!! Have tried to PM you but seems to have failed every time, so either you have got nothing from me or about 4 replies!!

If you still want to catch up and pick my brain just let me know.

3striper

Cannon Fodder
Congratulations to all

Hey everybody in the February intake..... Congratulations!!!

I started my studentship in May 2009 and recently qualified, look out you are for the time of your lives and your 36 months of training will be over before you know it!!! If you need any advise or just want to pick my brain feel free....

Congratulations again and see you on the road soon!

3striper

Cannon Fodder
Hey Mindy...... CONGRATULATIONS...!!!!! Have tried to PM you but seems to have failed every time, so either you have got nothing from me or about 4 replies!!

If you still want to catch up and pick my brain just let me know.
Got you email, have emailed back, yeah work address if fine, will keep an eye on it....!!!!

Studley

Cannon Fodder
Well just finished packing up my life, 11am tomorrow say goodbye to the wife for 6 weeks and jump on the plane!

See you all Monday morning!