Anyone gone from 29 back to 26" ??

Marx

Likes Dirt
I hate that this thread means so much to people.

In MTB it should never be about the bike. That’s why events have riders fronting with anything from hi-tech carbon duallys to rigid chromyl steel single speeds.

Wheel sizes means less than groupsets, suspension components or brakes.

The only reason 29ers & 27.5ers are the shyt right now, is that they are running the latest equipment, compared to 26ers rolling on much of the components that has been around for a few years.

Flint

Likes Dirt
As a short guy who needs a small frame the 29'er presents some problems for me. Even the smallest of tail bags rubs on the back tire when the rear suspension compresses so that makes my drop post un-useable :( or I have to buy a new camelback big enough to fit all my spares and tools.

The front tire rubs the down tube during fast berms when I brake a little.

No mounting screws for a water bottle or pump since the frame is so compact to fit the big wheels.

I do love the feel of the 29'er though it rolls so well, but I think I'll go to a 650B all mountain bike sometime next year.

0psi

Eats Squid
I rode a bike once, it was fun.
Then I rode another bike, that was fun too.
Rode another bike, didn't like it that much.
Then I rode a fourth bike, that was fun too but I didn't like it as much as the second bike.

They all had round wheels, round wheels are good. I highly recommend them.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I got my first 29er fully rigid hardtail SS recently. I love it.

It's like riding a giant loaf of bread.
People may not agree that is an admirable quality in a mountain bike, but I love the feeling of being up high and chompfing along on a totally silent non-geared big-wheeled bike. But, who cares what I ride? I don't give a flying f*ck what any of you ride. You have just wasted 30 seconds of your life reading about what kind of bike I ride and it doen't change the fact that this wekend you'll be out on YOUR bike having as much fun as I have on my bike.

The only thing I like more than riding my bike is debating wheel sizes on forums.

Apparently though, if a day goes by and there is not a wheel size debate thread started somewhere in the world, the 650b gods kill a kitten.

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I rode a bike once, it was fun.
Then I rode another bike, that was fun too.
Rode another bike, didn't like it that much.
Then I rode a fourth bike, that was fun too but I didn't like it as much as the second bike.

They all had round wheels, round wheels are good. I highly recommend them.
Tranlsated from English to Japanese and back again.

I took the bike once, I enjoy it.
Then on another bike was fun too, I am rode.
Rode another bike, I did not like it so much.
Then bike fourth was fun too, I rode, but as second bike as much as possible, I did not like it.

The wheels all round, round wheel was good they. I recommend them highly.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid

In MTB it should never be about the bike. That’s why events have riders fronting with anything from hi-tech carbon duallys to rigid chromyl steel single speeds.

The only reason 29ers & 27.5ers are the shyt right now, is that they are running the latest equipment, compared to 26ers rolling on much of the components that has been around for a few years.

But does it come in carbon? And how light is it? And will the other guys on the trail give me the respect I sorely crave if my bike is awesome? But not so awesome that they think I am a twat.
I wonder if I can get a bling kit for it? Or maybe some more carbon....? I think I'll just sell my 2013 model now and pre-order a 2014 model. Doesn't matter that I'll be without a bike for a year, at least when I get it it will be better than someone elses.
Yeah...

I sure hope it comes in carbon. :p

Big JD

Wheel size expert
this debate continues , why?

you are emotional Marx

but I dont follow you mate

you sayin that gears, suspension and brakes matter more than the frame and wheelsize - well please tell all the rigid 26er SS riders they are so 2002. Wheel size makes a big difference - just whether that wheelsize , suspension, gearing, colour suits you/ terrain/intention/fit/requirement/body shape/budget.

To say that all 29ers and 650bs are shyt now because they are running on new equipment is really dumb - where do you think the new designs and innovation in equipment has come from......................................................... your old 26er you have had for years.

I seriously doubt you can say 29er and 650b equipment is inferior to 26ers equipment.

Am I the only weirdo who likes 26" duallies better? Maybe I haven't ridden a decent 29" dually yet and don't know any better...

Not many new model 26" 5" travel options out there anymore. Seems there is not much choice but to be pushed onto 29 or the confused 650B.
If you're interested i have a 2012 Trek Fuel Ex 9.9 (medium) sitting under a dust cover. Only rode it for 5 months.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
I have 2x 26in bikes now after 4 years of imbibing the the 29er gospel from manufacturers and regurgitating it to customers. I'm sorry to everyone I misled in this period. I borrowed a 26in trail bike from a mate when (as was common then) I had a busted rear wheel and a set of twisted fork lowers. I'd sold all my bikes within a week. I even had the deadest bike of all, a 26in xc hardtail.

They're rad and they turn corners much faster than every 29er I ever had, they also break less. 29ers might be faster if you ride lots of bike paths.

spiderpig

Likes Dirt
After 8 years on 29ers exclusively i went back to a 5 inch 26er and really enjoyed it. It was light fast flick-able and very capable - but it was slower and required more effort to maintain momentum. In the tight stuff the 26er excelled, it was alot of fun to ride - Yeti 5.

I am 6.4 and 105kgs and 29ers just fit so much better for me. I can do everything i want on my current 29er - Yeti 95 and dont need something for bigger hits - I dont have the testicles.

I am a firm believer in getting the best bike for the money - with fit paramount, followed by suitability for intended use, suspension design and wheelsize. Choose the bike that will give you the biggest smile. For some that might be a steel rigid SS 29er , a 6 inch thumper, a carbon wonderbike or a cyclocrosser.

After nearly 40 years on BMXs and MTBs, I recently got a CX bike and must be honest and say it has been a revelation to me. I commute 25 kms a day on it, always hunting for a bit of dirt or gutter to launch off. i have improved my pedalling and endurance for MTBing and enjoy to challenge of taking it off road.

Wheelsize plays a roll but at the end of the day - f*ck it is good to ride a bike.
Yeah well i think thats it JD. It just took me a bit to work out I like the lively, flickable, punchy feel of a 26" dually. Think it comes from riding moto's for a longtime and i like being able to ride my mtb in a similar style where i can. 26" is also what i know I guess and i prob haven't given either of the other 2 sizes anywhere near enough ride time.

Its bloody annoying though that alot of the manafacture's are telling us what to ride in a roundbout kind of way though and just stopping building them.

cammas

Seamstress
I have been on a Gary Fisher 29er hardtail for a number of years and never found a 29er dually that really floated my boat, so I got Trek fuel Ex 9 had it for a couple months but then made the mistake of demoing a Tallboy LT while my bike was getting a service. When I got the Fuel back I put it up for sale and built up a Tall LTa and couldn't be happier, from a cross country jaunt to an elevation race I did. I never felt I was on the wrong bike for the job. Just cannot wait till I am clear to ride off road again as it has nearly been 6 months off the bike.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Yeah well i think thats it JD. It just took me a bit to work out I like the lively, flickable, punchy feel of a 26" dually. Think it comes from riding moto's for a longtime and i like being able to ride my mtb in a similar style where i can. 26" is also what i know I guess and i prob haven't given either of the other 2 sizes anywhere near enough ride time.

Its bloody annoying though that alot of the manafacture's are telling us what to ride in a roundbout kind of way though and just stopping building them.
I too came from and still ride moto. But for me the 29er dually feels more natural and closer to a moto. My 26 inch dually always felt short and twitchy where the 29er dually feels like it has deeper suspension and a longer more stable feel.